Ballpark costs for Phase I treatment

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

parent8

Ballpark costs for Phase I treatment

#1 Post by parent8 »

Wondering if $3000 is reasonable for this:

Situation: Class III (slight underbite) for my 8 year old. All top baby teeth still in, Doc says upper jaw too narrow and adult front teeth are 'in a traffic jam' trying to come down. Treament recommended was to put in a palatal expnader - and that would probably take 'about 6 months' and let his upper teeth free up and come down.

initial set-up, 5-week follow-up and monthly visits for the next 5 or so months.

When asked about cost was told, 'Well, we might need to have head gear, and additonal braces etc.'

It was presented that the expander may do the trick then we can re-address things in a few years - like when he is about 11. $3k for about 6 months seemed a little steep, or isn't it? Thanks in advance for the feedback

samantha_lou

#2 Post by samantha_lou »

If it helps at all, although, I was 26 when I got my first expander, and full fees with no insurance was $1200 for the appliance and there were no charges for office visits or anything. I didn't have ortho insurance at that time - I do now, and had to pay an additional $1300 to meet the $2500 part of the costs that I was responsible for when I got my braces; they were kind enough to credit what I had already paid towards the final part of my treatment.

Does the $3000 cover full braces as well as the expander?

parent8

#3 Post by parent8 »

my understanding it was just for the expander and accompanying visits for the 6 month or so period

thanks for the info

HeadgearJoe

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

the appliances realy are not the cost , it's the visits an time in treatment
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

parent8

#5 Post by parent8 »

surely 90% of the cost is the consultation - that expander probably doesn't cost $100. Is it reasonable to pay $2500 for what could amount to about 5 or 6 visits?

appreciating everyone's input. Trying to get a little more knowledge before I inquire directly with the Doc again.

sportsgrl97

#6 Post by sportsgrl97 »

i was reading around on the web one day and it said that that orthodontists typically make you pay a little more for phase 1 than phase 2 for some reason. (it was off a orthodontist journal on some website). so $3000 sounds about right =]. good luck though!

michelle

momof2grlz

#7 Post by momof2grlz »

DD13 started Phase I treatment with RPE when she was 8. She only had the palate expander in place for one year (only 6 months active treatment) and has been seeing the ortho every 6 - 8 months for follow-up since then. No charge for the follow-ups. Her Phase I treatment was $1,100.00.
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Carolinahigh12

#8 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

well my son went through phase I with an expander, but it only cost 600.00. His dentist performed the expansion instead of him going to the ortho. 1/2 of the cost was covered by insurance. You may want to call around and take him to another pediatric dentist ( if he is a child) and see if they do pahse I in house instead of sending them to the ortho. You may save money there.

Good luck
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

parent8

#9 Post by parent8 »

thanks for the info...

had a 2nd consult and recommendation was a removable expander in the roof of the mouth that would expand along both the x & y axis' (for a lack of better terminology).

Any thoughts on pros & cons of this v. the fixed expander just working on one axis widening the upper jaw)?

Oh, Phase 1 estimate was the same $2.5k to $3.2k

parent8

#10 Post by parent8 »

thanks for the info...

had a 2nd consult and recommendation was a removable expander in the roof of the mouth that would expand along both the x & y axis' (for a lack of better terminology).

Any thoughts on pros & cons of this v. the fixed expander just working on one axis (widening the upper jaw)?

Oh, Phase 1 estimate was the same $2.5k to $3.2k