lingual or ceramic on bottom?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracerin

lingual or ceramic on bottom?

#1 Post by bracerin »

Hi everyone! I am getting lingual braces on the top and was going to go with ceramic on the bottom but now I am reading posts that say linguals on the bottom are not that bad after a week or two. My ortho says linguals on the bottom are more uncomfortable than the top because of your tongue so he thinks I should get ceramic on the bottom since you can hardly see bottom teeth when you smile. I was fine with that but now I am rethinking and sort of excited about the idea of have completely invisible treatment! Any thoughts :?: Thank you in advance!!

Volare

#2 Post by Volare »

I have linguals top and bottom. Realize that although your brackets may be invisible, they may end up having to attach buttons to the front of your teeth if you need elastics, in which case your treatment will suddenly become quite visible.
I had my top arch wired for 3 years, 9 months, 3 weeks and 3 days with iBraces
I had my bottom arch wired for 3 years, 8 months, 1 week, and 4 days with iBraces
with Clarity conventional brackets top and bottom

Wallflower

#3 Post by Wallflower »

I was going to get linguals on upper and lower, but decided to go with ceramics on the lower and linguals on the top.

reasons below
- my bottom teeth barely show when I talk or smile
- cheaper to go with ceramics as opposed to full linguals!
- my ortho told me that movement of teeth with linguals is slower than regular style braces (not sure how true that is though)

When the braces were put on, I reallly regretted it and wished they were on the inside! However after two weeks now I don't mind them so much and only two people at work have noticed. Went out with old friends last night and they didn't notice!

The only thing I wish I'd done was to research the types of ceramic braces. I have Clarity SL (self ligating) which means no stained ligatures, however this means the ceramics have metal parts on either side of the bracket to clip the wire, which IS noticeable. I hate this about my braces.

Hope that helps :)

rolo

#4 Post by rolo »

The following shows a link to a pic showing what upper linguals and lower ceramics look like (from the outside of the teeth). That might be helpful

http://www.whitetree.info/SAMPLE/images/brace3.jpg

bracerin

thanks!

#5 Post by bracerin »

Thank you so much to each of you who replied! Very helpful!

rolo

#6 Post by rolo »

re elastics, I have lower ceramics and upper linguals and the elastics I have worn have gone from lingual braces to ceramics, no buttons on upper teeth. I wonder if you are less likely to get buttons on the outside if you have lower ceramics? or maybe it just depends on the movement needed? Probably worth questioning with your ortho if its something that would bother you.

ShySmile

#7 Post by ShySmile »

Hi All,

Im new to this formum :D

Yesterday i went for my first ever ortho consultation. As i am 26 years old i cant bear the thought of having metal braces! So i decided i will go for upper lingual lower ceramic, i was quoted $16,000 OUCH! Is this normal? Highly recommended orthorie st sydney.

So scared of the pain inflicted on the tongue by the linguals!! have read so many horror stories :(

drrick

#8 Post by drrick »

That is not an abnormal fee (of course depends on area)
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Clare85

#9 Post by Clare85 »

Hi ShySmile,
I am paying $16,200 for my orthodontic treatment, which includes 2 years of braces then a year of follow-up treatments (and plates).
I am getting upper lingual, lower ceramic. I got 5% off the price above for paying upfront, so see if you can negotiate something like that.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Clare (25yo from Melbourne, Australia)
p.s have had my upper linguals on for 6 days now. minimal lisp, but a pretty sore tongue! otherwise okay :) can't close my jaw though, as bottom teeth hit bottom of braces on top teeth when I try... so eating is a bit tough!

ShySmile

#10 Post by ShySmile »

Hi Clare85,

Phew, im glad im not alone!! Seems like so much money to be paying!! But this is very important to me. Today i am getting my mould done.

How are your linguals feeling?

Clare85

#11 Post by Clare85 »

Yeah it's a lot of money...seems to be the upper end of what people are paying on this website hey. Oh well! Hopefully it's all worth it in the end! I hope your mould went okay! I had a choice of flavours from grape to peppermint, haha.
My linguals are feeling okay. I barely have a lisp at all anymore (only when I talk too fast, my mouth gets too dry, or I'm particularly tired) and my work colleagues say there's been a huge improvement! So speech-wise, I feel pretty much 100% already (and it's only been 12 days since I got them on). I really only had a lisp for about the first week I think.
My tongue still gets sore on occasion, but I think it's learning to tolerate them more too. There are sharp bits at the very back of each side of the braces which hurt when my tongue scrapes along them. I'm going to ask my ortho to file them down (if he can) at my next visit.
The biggest pain is definitely the not being able to chew thing. I've got more adventurous already - yesterday I had a chicken parma and chips, but I only got through about 2/3 of it before I decided I'd had enough. I think I have to remember just to take small mouthfuls at a time...I used to take huge bites of whatever food I was eating!
When do you get your linguals on? :) Feel free to pm me if you want to exchange email addresses or something rather than chatting on here.

jaffa

#12 Post by jaffa »

Hi ShySmile,

Yeah they're definitely not cheap, I was quoted $14,700 for upper and lower linguals here in Melbourne. I put a $4000 deposit down with my ortho last week which stung a fair bit, hopefully the braces won't hurt as much as that did. Ouch indeed!

Hey Clare85, good to hear that your lisping went away so quickly as that's probably my biggest worry. Did you just practice talking heaps in the first week?

Clare85

#13 Post by Clare85 »

Hi Jaffa,
Good luck! Hmm I didn't do too much talking in the first week (as my tongue was getting cut up loads by the braces), but I did do a fair bit of 'She sells sea shells by the sea shore, and the shells that she sells are sea shells for sure' as I was struggling most with the 's' sound! Let me know if I can offer any other advice. I've had them on for 3 weeks now I think and I only use wax a couple of times a week now (only after my tongue gets an ulcer, which is usually after I eat something difficult - I find salad really hard for example). :)

Clare85

#14 Post by Clare85 »

Ooh I've decided to jump on the bandwagon and get a timer going. Hopefully this will keep me motivated. I haven't noticed changes yet but will let you all know when I do! :)

jessicamay

#15 Post by jessicamay »

Hey guys,

I'm about 5 months into upper linguals and lower ceramics now...

I think if I could have afforded it I might have gone for lower linguals as the lower ceramic brackets have always felt fairly chunky and dig into my lower lip every now and then, especially when I smile. Then again there are days I completely forget they're there! No one has ever noticed them though - I told a friend the other day and she was so shocked!

However for the price difference I'm glad I went with the option I did, and I've got on with both braces just fine after the initial few weeks.

So I guess its whether you can justify the difference in price...