Getting used to linguals

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marsh

Getting used to linguals

#1 Post by Marsh »

Why hello there,

I'm very much in the consideration stage of getting braces. I'm 19 years old and I'm thinking of getting upper linguals and lower ceramics/metal braces.

I've got an overbite + have tilted back bottom teeth and slightly tilted forward central upper incisors (and crowding) and will need my third molars extracted. (did anybody here have upper linguals + lower ceramics to treat an overbite???)

I'm yet to see an ortho just yet, but am in the process of hopefully getting a consultation or two arranged.

Basically my question is, how are you finding lingual braces (upper) now that you're used to them?, and how long did it take for you to accept them as being normal, when it came to eating/talking and just living life really?

Thanks in advance :)

lu lu

Re: Getting used to linguals

#2 Post by lu lu »

Hiya

Love my lingual. So used to it now.
Speech was a bit of a problem but was ok after the first couple of weeks & same with eating.

After the first month it felt really comfortable. The first month I had some problems with a wire poking me but its all sorted now & comfortable in my mouth.

No complaints so far. Just hope the end result is as good with linguals. Not seen many final pics.
For my Braces Story - with photos click here
Wearing Lower Ceramic Brace / Upper Lingual Brace (Incognito) / Sentence 18 - 24 months

jessicamay

Re: Getting used to linguals

#3 Post by jessicamay »

Hi there!

I have upper lingual and lower ceramic - my main issues were an overbite, lower crowding and one protruding front tooth.

I'm nearly done, due to get my braces off in a few months and have to say I've found the experience to be absolutely fine! I always say the only thing I miss is not being able to bite into food very well, as your brackets interfere with the biting edge of your teeth, but I reckon thats a small price to pay. Otherwise...speech returned to normal after a week or so, any pain from moving teeth has been shortlived and have had no other problems. The happiness I'm getting from being able to grin all the time is great!

I was asked to wear elastics towards the end of the treatment to line up my bite, this has been fine as the elastics they gave me are black and not visible at all (unless you sit there with your mouth wide open :-)) Make sure you ask for these if you can, they gave me normal white ones to begin with and they are so much more noticeable.

Testament to the fact that linguals with ceramics can be completely un-noticeable - my colleague and friend who I have worked with for 10 months has NEVER noticed anything!! She was talking about braces the other day and she was shocked that I had them, despite the fact we chat and go for lunch together most days!! That put a big smile on my face - the money is well worth it.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions - I'll post my before and after pics when I get debraced :-)