lingual worries

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lingualgirl1

lingual worries

#1 Post by lingualgirl1 »

I'm having a crisis of confidence about my linguals. I just have them on uppers and got them on almost 6 months ago. The ortho said a treatment time of around 12-14 months was expected, so I'm abourt halfway through now.
My problems weren't huge to begin with, over lapped tooth at the front and I guess I just always wanted to 'fix' them.

But now, everytime I catch my reflection in a window/mirror while I'm talking, I think I look weird. At the moment my teeth are different lengths (I had a white composite on one which needs to be shaved off now the tooth has straightened up), one of my front teeth in jagged now that it's straightened so will need to be softened also. Basically, I just feel my teeth look 'harsh' in my mouth. I feel as though they look as if they don't belong in my mouth! I know it's sounds crazy, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had these worries with linguals? Is it the case, that they look strange before they start to look great!? I'm beginning to regret getting the linguals now, although I've had no other real issues with them to date. My teeth weren't bad at all, and were discreet teeth. Now I'm afraid they're anything but :(

Also, I never had noticeable speech problems, and I am finding it difficult to speak in the last month.
Freaking out here a bit (sorry).
Can anyone share their experience?

dojo

Re: lingual worries

#2 Post by dojo »

I don't have an experience with lingual braces but I had damon and then invisalign. Yes, you will feel weird, yes the teeth will look worse before they look good. Just hang in there and be positive. As long as you are with a good orthodontist, you'll be just fine.
Orthodontics patient from 2007 to 2010.
Orthodontic Braces

ana7

#3 Post by ana7 »

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience. It's been 1 year, 1 month since I had my linguals on and my teeth at the moment is worse before i started. So in my case, yes..it definitely gets worse before it gets better (hopefully it gets better soon).

I have multiple gaps forming and 4 of my fronth teeth are still flaring out plus my extraction gaps are still huge. I now smile with my lips shut, trying not to show my teeth at all. I think the overall look of my teeth is just weird. Anyone else in the same boat?

lingualgirl1

#4 Post by lingualgirl1 »

Hey there,

Just wanted to update. After my last post, I had my next visit at the ortho and the adjustments he made at that one really made my teeth start to look like my own again! He shaved off the composite that was on the longer 'tooth' and the jagged edge on the front one is no longer as noticeable because the tooth is straightening up. I think he will level this completely when it's in it's right place.

In saying that, I've had a new gap open up. I hate gaps! But all part of the process I suppose. And I'm due back at the ortho in two weeks, so he normally sorts these things out ;)
I'm 7 months in and hoping I'm about 50% thru by now. (fingers crossed!!)

I think the thing about linguals is, you have good days and bad days. Or good adjustments and bad adjustments...sometimes they're creating a big wide gap, the next they're closing it. We'll get there in the end tho, right!?!

Thanks for sharing your experiences too!

maxhammer

#5 Post by maxhammer »

My teeth are worse than when I started, too. A lot of that is due to gap filling. But, I have an OCD personality where I stare and obsess over little details nobody will ever notice. Maybe you've had a small change and you're doing that.

sharp

#6 Post by sharp »

my teeth got worse and worse and worse over a period of 5 years until i had enough and got rid of stupid lingual braces