I may need root canal. Molar still sensitive even with crown

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbsadmin

I may need root canal. Molar still sensitive even with crown

#1 Post by bbsadmin »

A few weeks ago, I posted that one of my molars had become sensitive and felt weird for the past several months. My dentist and orthodontist both thought that maybe I have a cracked tooth. My dentist could not see a crack on an x-ray, but I had all the symptoms.

Well last week, I got that tooth crowned. I now have a temporary crown on the molar and guess what -- it feels even worse! More sensitive, definitely not better at all.

I'm calling my dentist today and ask if he thinks I should get a root canal. I don't really want to do any of this, but I can't continue living with the hypersensitivity in that tooth.

Getting the crown wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated. It was only a little more complicated than getting a filling. From what I understand, a root canal will bacsically destroy the tooth's nerve so that the tooth will still be alive but I will not feel it anymore. I suppose this is the only option. I just hope that the tooth doesn't crack or anything. The last thing I want is to lose the tooth and have to get an implant. Fortunatlely, it's the last molar on the bottom right side at the back of my mouth.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

That's a bummer, Lynn! :( Maybe having that tooth fiddled about with while it was being crowned has somehow aggravated things and it will settle down shortly.
Let us know what the verdict is.

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

I am sorry to hear about your tooth blues Lynn. Root canals aren't that bad. Take your Advil before you go and your ipod and enjoy a bit of time without having to 'do' anything. I had 3 root canals for various reasons (one was a cracked molar due to my poor bite) and I can still feel the tooth. Yes the root is gone, but the tissue around the tooth still feels the pressure etc. when you bite down, so you don't have a numb spot. Good luck.

momof2grlz

#4 Post by momof2grlz »

I agree with Lisa65 - what a bummer! I'm having the same type of issue with a molar that is sensitive every once in a while and I'm thinking of getting it crowned. After hearing your result - maybe not. Root canals aren't as dreadful as some say. I've had 2 with no problems afterward.

I've had friends who've had root canals on crowned teeth and the dentist just drilled through the crown so, hopefully, the tooth won't break. Not great having to drill through a brand new crown, but it's better than an extraction and implant.

IF the worst happens and you need an implant, it's not a painful process either. More painful on the wallet!

Good luck. Hopefully, you'll get this behind you soon. It's no fun wondering when you're going to get that next "zinger" twinge!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Root canals are awesome!!! It's only a little sensitive that night and afterwards, all is great!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

joney

#6 Post by joney »

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with that tooth Lynn. Toothache is definitely not something that anybody wants to live with. If it comes to it then maybe root canal may be the best option and at least you won't have the pain. I had a root canal years ago and I don't remember it being too bad, I just remember the relief when my tooth was no longer painful.

Best wishes
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Miss Smiley

#7 Post by Miss Smiley »

Hey Mer, I'd prefer root canals over ortho tx.

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

OMG, Lynn...I've got the same tooth in trouble! It was cracked, they put on a temp crown, still had lots of aching in the tooth, then I had the root canal. ALL the pain went away but I still have some pressure sensitivity, its been over a month. The final crown has not been put on.

If it is a cracked tooth, they can't see the extent of it on xray many times. Crowning it can stabilize it but if the symptoms stay put after root canal therapy, extraction is the only other option. I hear your pain, Lynn, I'm in the same boat. :(
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

I've never had a root canal, thank goodness - and I hope I never have to. I'm not good with anything "invasive". It's not the pain, I just have difficulty with things like that.

lianas

#10 Post by lianas »

Since you still have a temporary crown maby you could suggest they take the tooth out of occulsion for a few days and see if the tooth doesnt get better. Sometimes being just slightly high can cause this.

Miss Smiley

#11 Post by Miss Smiley »

any better today?

bbsadmin

#12 Post by bbsadmin »

Well, I have an appt with an endodontist next week for an evaluation.

Last night I ate some ice cream and a bit of it landed on that tooth. I was in actual PAIN for a couple of hours afterward! I had to take some ibuprofen to make the pain go away!

I'm not looking forward to what lies ahead with this, but I have to get it taken care of. Boy, root canals are sure expensive. I asked how much it would be. $,1300! Between the crown and the root canal, that's almost half what my braces cost! Oh well....
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

dojo

#13 Post by dojo »

Sorry to hear about this :( .. it looks like there are some serious prices in your country too ...

I think I had 2-3 root canals in my life since I had bad teeth. And when I was a kid we had some HORRIBLE dentists. They would tell you to "just hang on, we're almost ready" instead of giving you an injection, while doing all these painful things to your teeth. I developed a huge scare of dentists and refused to go to any in many years. When I was 17 I met a nice guy who was a dentist and he was the first one I visited who actually knew how to treat with no pain. It took him a lot of work to make me relax and not fear the dentist again. Now I don't have any issues anymore .. I love them all :D

But still .. years of not getting to the doctor did ruin my teeth ..

it's a serious thing indeed, but I think it's a good thing. You are in pain and there is no reason to stand this. Best of luck and let's hope it's gonna get solved fast and nicely :)

rsprouse

#14 Post by rsprouse »

Well, I have an appt with an endodontist next week for an evaluation.

Last night I ate some ice cream and a bit of it landed on that tooth. I was in actual PAIN for a couple of hours afterward! I had to take some ibuprofen to make the pain go away!

I'm not looking forward to what lies ahead with this, but I have to get it taken care of. Boy, root canals are sure expensive. I asked how much it would be. $,1300! Between the crown and the root canal, that's almost half what my braces cost! Oh well....
Sounds like irreversible pulpitis....which means a root canal to you. Expect endo, cast post and core, and a crown. Fees vary depending on location and everyone I know that practices in Cali has good fees (not good for you :wink: ) Ibuprofren every 4-6 hours should help bridge the gap to your appointment. Good luck.

Best,
Rory

kirjax

#15 Post by kirjax »

I sort of have the same problem. I had spacers and when they took the spacers out my one upper molar ached w/ pain. I almost jumped out of the chair. The ortho said that I shouldn't be that sensitive so he looked at all my xrays but I guess came up w/ nothing. He said, "did the tooth bother you before?" I said not really. So he said well is the filling old? I said yes. He said that was good. He proceeded to examin the tooth and just said sometimes when the tooth moves it's common for it to be sensitive. Told me to keep an eye on it and see if the sensitivity improves. Well it did. The pain went away almost immediately. But the other night I woke up with a bit of pain and that same molar was feeling really achy. If I put any pressure on it (even brushing) it sends a huge pain through the tooth. However my other teeth on the right side all seem to be a tiny bit sensitive today. That's why I'm thinking that my teeth are all in the process of moving and with it that molar is just being more of a pain.

I have an appointment on the 11th so I am just going to hold out bc my schedule is way too busy to fit in an extra appointment.

But my concern is that if something needs to be done to the tooth that I will be really in a bind bc braces are already killing me financially and I can't afford a crown or root canal (I have NO dental insurance)!

I just hope it's nothing.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!