How soon after surgery can I get pregnant?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

marycotter5678

How soon after surgery can I get pregnant?

#1 Post by marycotter5678 »

I am supposed to have double jaw surgery for an underbite sometime in Spring -- probably April/May. I was wondering if it would be safe to get pregnant a month after surgery?
Do they still take x-rays, etc afterwards ???

Double-Jaw Surgery: Lefort I & BSSO (May 4, 2010)

changes09

#2 Post by changes09 »

I asked my doc this also. As soon as you are able to have sex, is what he told me. I am 4 months post op, and i feel like I could have got pregantn 2 months ago! :) I don't see my OS again till, the braces come off for some pics

asmileconnectsus

#3 Post by asmileconnectsus »

According to my surgeon females have to be careful with the way their hormones affect their joints. My surgeon strongly suggests waiting a year post surgery to get pregnant. He has seen a high number of female patients who have regression issues with their jaw if they do become pregnant before the 1 year mark. Obviously this is all up to you, I just want to be as careful as possible so I do not have any problems.

asmileconnectsus

#4 Post by asmileconnectsus »

According to my surgeon females have to be careful with the way their hormones affect their joints. My surgeon strongly suggests waiting a year post surgery to get pregnant. He has seen a high number of female patients who have regression issues with their jaw if they do become pregnant before the 1 year mark. Obviously this is all up to you, I just want to be as careful as possible so I do not have any problems.

mp921

#5 Post by mp921 »

asmileconnectsus wrote:According to my surgeon females have to be careful with the way their hormones affect their joints. My surgeon strongly suggests waiting a year post surgery to get pregnant. He has seen a high number of female patients who have regression issues with their jaw if they do become pregnant before the 1 year mark. Obviously this is all up to you, I just want to be as careful as possible so I do not have any problems.
My surgeon didn't mention this. He gave me the all-clear on getting pregnant 2 months after surgery when he released me. However, it's a good thing I didn't go ahead with it because a plate had to come out! :wink:
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

cvn

#6 Post by cvn »

mp921 wrote:
asmileconnectsus wrote:According to my surgeon females have to be careful with the way their hormones affect their joints. My surgeon strongly suggests waiting a year post surgery to get pregnant. He has seen a high number of female patients who have regression issues with their jaw if they do become pregnant before the 1 year mark. Obviously this is all up to you, I just want to be as careful as possible so I do not have any problems.
My surgeon didn't mention this. He gave me the all-clear on getting pregnant 2 months after surgery when he released me. However, it's a good thing I didn't go ahead with it because a plate had to come out! :wink:
Your surgeon didn't mention it because it's new research and they haven't published yet. I was told the other day that the paper is expected to be published in the next couple of months. They've had much better results on females by concerning themselves with hormone levels before and after the surgery, which is interesting. As I understand it, estradiol is important in healing from bone swelling and hormonal birth control and pregnancy both alter these levels and reduce the likelihood that the jaw bone heals instead of reabsorbs.

Of course it sucks to be on hrt at age 29, but I'll do what it takes to not have to do this surgery a fourth time. Sigh.