So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hmatt330

So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...

#1 Post by hmatt330 »

Hello, I have been doing tons of research on both surgeries, having met up with a couple max fax docs as well.

I am basically deciding between just doing a sliding genioplasty to mask my recessed jaw or doing full-on Double Jaw surgery to completely fix the problem.

Now, I know that Ortho surgery is usually preferred, but here is my predicament:

starting school Sept 6th. Have a month off in December (ideal time for jaw surgery), and then have school, followed by summer internship, followed by going abroad, followed by finally another month off (December 2017). I would like to have SOMETHING done before then, as going abroad would be a great time to reap the rewards of these surgeries.

HOWEVER I most likely cannot do the double jaw surgery this December (perfect time), as I had already started orthodontics last December and I need to reverse some of this which would take me to at least January to do the surgery, which is already too late as the semester starts mid-Jan *SoClose*.

I can, however, do a genioplasty next week (Con- $5000), which allows me to reap the rewards this semester coming up, and then next year, as well as when I go abroad. If I ever want to do Ortho surgery, I can just reverse the genio, right?

Also, My PS wants to advance 8mm, anyone know if that's too much? Because a maxfax told me anything more than 6 can look weird.

Well, what do you think guys?

PICS

http://imgur.com/a/wzI5n (Last pic is just a hopeful morph)
http://imgur.com/a/kFDPB
http://imgur.com/a/9Hki2

ThANK YOU!!

hmatt330

Re: So confused on Genioplasty vs Double Jaw surgery...

#2 Post by hmatt330 »

Ouch, just noticed some grammatical mistakes/some things might be unclear; sorry, not sure how to edit. Let me know if this is the case and I will clarify!

LyraM45

#3 Post by LyraM45 »

I'm not big in to the whole masking thing if you in fact really do need the jaw surgery to fix what is the true functional issue. If you're being held up because of school, perhaps wait until the time is right when you're out of school? I waited until I was out of college to get all of my work done.

hmatt330

#4 Post by hmatt330 »

[quote="LyraM45"]I'm not big in to the whole masking thing if you in fact really do need the jaw surgery to fix what is the true functional issue. If you're being held up because of school, perhaps wait until the time is right when you're out of school? I waited until I was out of college to get all of my work done.[/quote]

Yeah, neither am I to be honest, but there are a couple things that make this somewhat of an exception to me.

1) There are no actual functional issues for me.

2) I want to get the most out of college, and I think that genioplasty might do that for me

3) If I do opt for Ortho surgery in the future, I can just reverse this at the same time, right?

snapdresser

#5 Post by snapdresser »

hmatt330 wrote: going abroad would be a great time to reap the rewards of these surgeries.
Hahaha that sounds awesome :lol:

I think your plan to do a genio now cuz it's all you can do, and then possibly get it reversed when you go in for jaw surgery is a solid plan.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

glennstanzalone

#6 Post by glennstanzalone »

Just get a rhinoplasty and genioplasty.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

hmatt330

#7 Post by hmatt330 »

Anymore opinions??? Need to decide asap.

And thank you to all who have shared

LyraM45

#8 Post by LyraM45 »

hmatt330 wrote:
LyraM45 wrote:I'm not big in to the whole masking thing if you in fact really do need the jaw surgery to fix what is the true functional issue. If you're being held up because of school, perhaps wait until the time is right when you're out of school? I waited until I was out of college to get all of my work done.

Yeah, neither am I to be honest, but there are a couple things that make this somewhat of an exception to me.

1) There are no actual functional issues for me.

2) I want to get the most out of college, and I think that genioplasty might do that for me

3) If I do opt for Ortho surgery in the future, I can just reverse this at the same time, right?
RE: reversing the genio. I wouldn't count on that. Same with jaw surgery. It's almost like the saying you can't unring a bell that has been rung. Once it's done, then consider it done in most surgical cases like this. They can TRY to reverse it, but you're rolling the dice. Chance they can't get it quite back to what you started with.

uneunsae

#9 Post by uneunsae »

Genio is not something that is usually reversed. Chin implant is reversible.

What do you mean by "getting the most out of college?"

glennstanzalone

#10 Post by glennstanzalone »

uneunsae wrote:Genio is not something that is usually reversed. Chin implant is reversible.

I got the vibe that him "reaping the rewards" of jaw surgery meant becoming more sexually appealing and getting to interact with more sexual partners. I didn't want to have to be the one to tell him that if you don't have game when you're supposedly "ugly", you can't surgically acquire it. Lmao
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016

uneunsae

#11 Post by uneunsae »

That's what I was afraid of.

We might have bad self esteem and think we are hideous because of our weak chins but no one else thinks that way. We aren't even looking through the same lens as everyone else is.

snapdresser

#12 Post by snapdresser »

glennstanzalone wrote:
uneunsae wrote:Genio is not something that is usually reversed. Chin implant is reversible.

I got the vibe that him "reaping the rewards" of jaw surgery meant becoming more sexually appealing and getting to interact with more sexual partners. I didn't want to have to be the one to tell him that if you don't have game when you're supposedly "ugly", you can't surgically acquire it. Lmao
And an ugly person with game can turn into a supervillain post-op :lol: Only half-kidding about that lol. You gotta stay grounded and try not to turn into a different person.
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

glennstanzalone

#13 Post by glennstanzalone »

uneunsae wrote:That's what I was afraid of.

We might have bad self esteem and think we are hideous because of our weak chins but no one else thinks that way. We aren't even looking through the same lens as everyone else is.

So true! We are our own worst critics. A woman who I consider a true beauty confided in me today that she's felt hideous her whole life because her jaw is canted. I was like "SAME!". Perception and beauty are very tricky things.

hmatt330

#14 Post by hmatt330 »

Lol I agree about the whole game/personality part..... but I think this is also holding me back.

What do y'all think???

[img]http://i.imgur.com/epksy0A.jpg[/img]

hmatt330

#15 Post by hmatt330 »

not sure why I can't edit that^^ this should be embedded

[img]http://i.imgur.com/WzO2FKe.jpg[/img]