Invisalign at 60, bucket list

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AnnB550

Invisalign at 60, bucket list

#1 Post by AnnB550 »

Hello, I know it might sound crazy but for my 60th birthday I decided to give myself Invisalign. I have wanted to do this for 20 years but have felt foolish until I met a 73 year old woman who is wearing them now, she inspired me to get mine done too. I am wondering if there are any older Invisalign wearers here and what the experience is like for you. I am still waiting for mine to come in and both anxious and nervous about it.
Thanks in advance for any replies .

AnnB550

Re: Invisalign at 60, bucket list

#2 Post by AnnB550 »

Am I really alone in this?? My ortho said that they have numerous patients over 55. Hoping someone replies.

Bracesat57

#3 Post by Bracesat57 »

Hi there, I am now 58 and have had my ceramic braces on for 7 months. I first checked into Invisalign but my ortho said it would be easier to move my teeth with braces. The clear radiance braces are wonderful.

I had trouble eating I the beginning but it only lasted a very short time. I had to get use to someone tugging on my teeth to put the ligs on but that got easier also.

All my friends and family are very supportive. I have friends that are jealous that they have not done their teeth and have been asking me a lot of questions. I was at a dinner party and there was a dentist sitting two seats away from me and he didn't notice my braces until we got up to leave! I also have a lot of friends who can't even see my braces because they are not wearing their eye glasses (ha ha).

Just know that you are doing something to improve yourself. You will have no regrets.

Sorry I can't help you with any Invisalign questions.

I love my braces. I wear them proudly. I wish I would have started sooner.

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

Trickycoolj

#4 Post by Trickycoolj »

Well, I'm only 30 but it's been fairly easy so far. I am on Tray 4 of 35. I do have somewhat sensitive teeth since I used to clench and grind at night. So far I haven't done that at all! Anytime my teeth feel sore or tender 2 Advil do the trick within 10-20 min. The funny thing is that I'm so used to Advil not completely dulling my menstrual headaches/migraines that I was surprised it completely took away any Invisalign related pain I was experiencing. The key is to put your new tray in after dinner or close to bed time and pop Advil at the same time. By morning things should have shifted for the most part and maybe one more dose of Advil before heading to work just to be sure. Off and on I'll have one tender tooth here or there depending on what's shifting or what I ate (almonds are way too hard for me now) but I just chew in a different area. When I take the aligners out I can't touch completely in the back so too soft veggies (like skinny asparagus) or leafy greens (spinach, kale, seaweed in sushi) are impossible to chew in a hurry. A friend's mom started at about the same time I did and through my friend it sounded like she had the same issues. The only other piece of wisdom is to try to use a stop watch the first day when eating. You can use your stop watch app on your phone throughout the day to make sure you only have your trays out 2 hours a day. My dentist mentioned that the compliant patients have the best results, even the ones that have a questionable tooth that is a difficult movement. So it's motivation to meet the prescribed wear time!

1993: 4 top brackets, bite plate, lower lingual arch, head gear
2004: 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed
2007: night guard for bruxism headaches
March 2015: Invisalign 35 trays
August 2016: Invisalign 9 trays
http://lineupwithme.blogspot.com/

AnnB550

#5 Post by AnnB550 »

Thank you for your replies, they are encouraging. I have one more question, does anyone here use acceledent? My orthodontist has recommended it to speed things up.

AnnB550

#6 Post by AnnB550 »

[quote="Bracesat57"]Hi there, I am now 58 and have had my ceramic braces on for 7 months. I first checked into Invisalign but my ortho said it would be easier to move my teeth with braces. The clear radiance braces are wonderful.

I had trouble eating I the beginning but it only lasted a very short time. I had to get use to someone tugging on my teeth to put the ligs on but that got easier also.

All my friends and family are very supportive. I have friends that are jealous that they have not done their teeth and have been asking me a lot of questions. I was at a dinner party and there was a dentist sitting two seats away from me and he didn't notice my braces until we got up to leave! I also have a lot of friends who can't even see my braces because they are not wearing their eye glasses (ha ha).

Just know that you are doing something to improve yourself. You will have no regrets.

Sorry I can't help you with any Invisalign questions.

I love my braces. I wear them proudly. I wish I would have started sooner.[/quote]

I looked up the Clear Radiance and they look pretty nice. I didn't know about those. It actually looks easier than invisalign. Good luck, I hope you have a beautiful smile when it is all done.

AnnB550

#7 Post by AnnB550 »

I wish I knew how to use this site. I was trying to reply to someone but my reply became part of their message. I'll figure it out.

Bracesat57

#8 Post by Bracesat57 »

Hi AnnB550, I got your message.

I would suggest that you get more than one consultation and visit a few different Orthodontis in your area. This way you can really know if you want to do Invisalign or ceramic braces.

I can tell you that you can definitely see my braces when you are up close. I am happy that they never show up in pictures.

This is a great site for information. People tell it like it is. There are times in the very beginning we have all questioned what we were doing. Everyone will agree that the end result is worth it all!

Good luck with your decision. Keep us updated.

AnnB550

#9 Post by AnnB550 »

Ahhh thanks so much "Bracesat57" you are so encouraging. I like the comment about friends not being able to see them without their glasses. I'm sure I will have moments of doubt but will hang in there because I sgree that it will be worth it.

Thanks again to all who posted, Ann

AnnB550

#10 Post by AnnB550 »

Finally got started with Invisalign a few days ago and things are going surprisingly better than I expected.
Keep smiling!!
Annb550

Bracesat57

#11 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congratulations with getting started on your journey. I am glad that the Invisalign worked out for you! How long will you have to wear them? How many trays?

Good luck on your journey. I hope you will post pictures soon of your progress.

AnnB550

#12 Post by AnnB550 »

image.jpg
I have 48 trays and am using Acceledent. My ortho said to change the first 4 sets of trays every 4 days. Wow! Was I surprised to hear that. I will try to add a before photo if I can figure out how.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep smiling!!
Annb550

AnnB550

#13 Post by AnnB550 »

Wow that is a pretty horrible set of teeth if I do say so myself. If that isn't motivation to keep going then nothing is. I will surely regret waiting this long to do this.
Keep smiling!!
Annb550

DrJasonKTam

#14 Post by DrJasonKTam »

Congratulations on getting started on your journey? Age should not be the determining factor in seeking orthodontic treatment, as it is the bone and health of the teeth that are the items that could preclude treatment. People are living longer and longer and want to have great quality of lives, including healthy teeth and a great smile. We have patients into their 70s coming in for orthodontic treatment these days and when they are finished with it, they wonder why they didn't do it earlier! Good luck with your treatment and keep us posted!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

teeebeee

#15 Post by teeebeee »

I got my braces for my 50th birthday present to myself...best pressie ever! :)

I've got fairly subtle, creamy coloured ones (my teeth are quite off white) but, if I was doing it again, I'd go completely gangsta and have them as colourful as possible, I'm that proud of them (and myself!)

See the oldies go! :)

T xx