Getting braces soon

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kacmins

Getting braces soon

#1 Post by kacmins »

Hey all,

I just wanted to make a post so my account doesn't get deleted as I'll be using it a lot in next few months.

I am 30 years old and will be getting my braces in 15 days :tingrin:

nitro

Re: Getting braces soon

#2 Post by nitro »

Welcome to the board! What led to your decision to get braces? What type will you be getting?

NubianQueen

#3 Post by NubianQueen »

Hello, I'm 28 and I get my braces on Wednesday. I'm both nervous and excited. I have my spacers in now and I haven't been able to eat very much. How about you???

kacmins

#4 Post by kacmins »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@nitro, One of my upper baby canines is still there, it never fell out, and the one taking its place grew above it.

I've been procrastinating this for about 12-13 years now, but I knew I would have to deal with it someday, one way or another. Well, that time has come now :)

I am getting metal Damon self litigating braces. I have some minor overlapping problems in my bottom jaw and apart from the canine, my upper teeth are pretty damn good and straight.

I don't have any major problems with my bite and I don't know if it'll need correcting at all. My ortho said it would take between 12-14 months, which sounds a bit optimistic to me, but I'll count anything less than 2 years as great.

@NubianQueen,

Wow, that's in 4 days now! So you already know some of the pain we will endure because of the spacers...I am still clueless! I don't think I'll need spacers as they already scheduled everything and never mentioned spacers.

I kinda feel like that, nervous and excited. I am most worried about the fact that I can't eat a lot in one sitting, so I usually eat like every 3-4 hours...Which would be pain with braces, as the cleaning is needed after every meal. So getting used to like 3 meals per day will be the challenge for me, I believe.

kacmins

#5 Post by kacmins »

The time has come, I am getting my new metal smile today. A bit excited!

teeebeee

#6 Post by teeebeee »

Woohoo...let us know how it goes! :)

T xx

kacmins

#7 Post by kacmins »

Just came back. It went fine, it isn't such big of a deal (yet) :)

It doesn't feel as bulky as I thought it would. My teeth actually itch a bit now, but other than that it's fine.

My dentist missed one cavity on my 7th teeth, which kinda sucks so I'll have to deal with that down the road. Ortho said we can keep it under control or have my dentist fix it...

teeebeee

#8 Post by teeebeee »

I'm sure the dentist will sort it...you are underway and that's the main thing! :D

T xx

emiii

#9 Post by emiii »

Good luck on your journey! I would love to see updates :) :)

kacmins

#10 Post by kacmins »

Thank you emiii!

Here's the update. It will be 3 months since I had my braces put in about a week.

The reason why I had my braces put in the first place is because I never lost my baby canine in the upper jaw, so the regular canine had to grow above it. The movement of that one tooth is amazing, as shown in the pictures below.

2.5 months ago:
before.jpg
Today:
after.jpg
On the other hand, I haven't noticed much movement in the lower arch for past couple of months, which is mildly disturbing.

Having braces on doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's only a bit of a problem when eating in public, but since I do that maybe a couple of times per week, it's all good. I work from home, so that makes it easier.

I really like having Damon braces as I don't have any rubber bands in my mouth, so there is a less space for food to get stuck. I am not sure if they are really any faster than traditional ones, but I can say I never needed to take any kind of pain killer so far. The pain was maybe 2/10 when I had my braces put and after wire changes, but that's about it.

I still socialize, go to a gym and have no problems kissing my girlfriend if that's a concern for some of you looking to get braces. You really get used to it fairly quickly and they don't limit you in that way.

It's kind of a pain brushing 4-6x a day as I do (after every meal), but I really wanna keep my teeth cavity-free while "doing my time".

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kacmins

#11 Post by kacmins »

Here's an update, it's been a bit more than 6 months since I became a metal mouth.
1.jpg
2.jpg
The problem I had with the canine is gone. If my teeth looked like this before, I would never ever bothered with braces. There are still things to fix, but all the big problems are already resolved.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kacmins

#12 Post by kacmins »

I had my braces taken off today. I was supposed to wear them between 12-15 months, but it ended up being just 1 week shy of 11 months. Not complaining :mrgreen:

SingleJawMelb

#13 Post by SingleJawMelb »

Ohh pictures please :)

buffon85

#14 Post by buffon85 »

kacmins wrote:I had my braces taken off today. I was supposed to wear them between 12-15 months, but it ended up being just 1 week shy of 11 months. Not complaining :mrgreen:
I hate you so much right now :crazy:
Yes we would love some pictures.

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

kacmins

#15 Post by kacmins »

buffon85 wrote:
kacmins wrote:I had my braces taken off today. I was supposed to wear them between 12-15 months, but it ended up being just 1 week shy of 11 months. Not complaining :mrgreen:
I hate you so much right now :crazy:
Yes we would love some pictures.
Well, they aren't as good as I thought they would be. Primarily because my teeth quality kinda suck in general and some teeth are badly shaped due to being in wrong positions for decades . But I can smile and laugh now without being self-conscious about it and that's what I wanted in the first place! :HugeGrin:

Before:
before.jpg
Today:
2.jpg