My name is Elle. I am 32 getting braced for the 2nd time December 16th, 2010.
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers, will have forsus springs for a lot of treatment to correct severe overbite.
- I was a thumbsucker until I around 10 and then I got a retainer for awhile to correct overbite (I don't recall how well that worked)
- Had braces for up to 2 years, removed when I was 13. I think I wore my retainers until around 20ish (my husband said I was wearing them at night still when I met)
- For some STUPID reason I stopped wearing retainers and now I have a severe overbite and need braces again
- I have very healthy teeth and gums, a bit of recession. Wisdom teeth out when I was 18. Some fillings over the years but I was mostly always gone for cleanings every 6 months
- I don't really like dentist (sorry if I am offending anyone) My dentist hung himself in his office when I was maybe 12 and it has always bothered me.
- Always had good dental insurance until the last couple years. Now I have nothing. Always felt that my dentist were trying to rip off the insurance companies and doing anything they had to to get that extra $$$ even when I was only looking for a cleaning.
- Had some really really bad dentists over the years, I really despise going to the dentist. Just feel like they are going to mess something up. Do a bad filling or ???
Why I am getting braces !!!
- My upper front tooth really sticks out and it bothers me.
- I try to not be a vain person and accept my flaws and imperfections but somethings just bother me like my teeth
- I can not close my mouth It takes A LOT of effort. I know weird but it sucks. Because my teeth jet out and the overbite I feel more comfortable having mouth slightly opening that looks really silly
- In close up pictures you can see my big smile has a wonky tooth, makes me not want to smile
- My GRANDMA. She is 95 years old, lives on her own, she is a real sweetie BUT she has made a couple comments ...... (sorry for the details but its my story of how I got here)
She said to me infront of my closest 20 family members at a family reunion during lunch (EVERYBODY HEARD)
"What did you do to your teeth? Why are they so crooked? You did something? Your tooth sticks out, it looks bad?? "
I WAS MORTIFIED, I was so hurt, even typing this makes me cry. I tried to forget about it but did ask my last dentist and started the process of getting moulds, pics, and then he messed up husbands teeth with a lot of bad filing and filling and I stopped going to him. Then money and life was hard the last couple years
My Grandma over the last 2 years has made little comments like your lower lip sticks out, its swollen and then during a nice day shopping (October 2010) with my mother and her while I was visiting she was looking at me really funny, like something was really really ugly and with such disgust. I was trying on a top and I said to her Whats wrong GRAMS??? Thinking she didn't like the shirt and she goes...YOUR TEETH??? My mother told her to shut up and stop ruining our fun day shopping. A few minutes later after trying to make myself not cry my eyes out in the middle of the store. I said to her... Grandma my teeth are bad because I didn't wear my retainers and it is very expensive to fix and I do not have the money. She says they are very crooked and thinks ...... that my husband beats me and thats why they are crooked!!! OMG I was hurt, I am married to the most amazing supportive, kindest man in the whole world that would never lay a hand on me. He loves me and respects me. My grandma said she knows but is old and confused and didn't mean to hurt me but would want someone to tell me the truth.
Sorry for the long explanation but I am a little bit sensitive and thats how I got here. I guess honesty hurts sometimes and I always knew my teeth could use some improving.
-So after those comments in October 2010, I decided no more waiting, I asked my dentist who to go to (my Aunt asked him personally and not thru the dentist office) and he said he would not trust anyone in our town but the town over (35 minutes away). So the process started.
THE ORTHO PLAN
-I always thought this would be an EASY process, a short easy fix because I didn't realize my teeth were THAT bad and didn't think they could fix my overbite if they didn't 20 years ago ( I was told by a dentist years ago that I had tongue thrust and could never fix my bite without fixing that, my current ortho does not think that this is a problem though)
-The truth, this is NOT an easy or cheap process
-I thought I would have invisigln and that it would take under a year........NOPE
-It is very important to me to have this as not noticeable as possible. I can get very shy and do not like to live the house on the best of days
- My husband is a couple (okay more than a couple......... more than 10....okay 13.5 technically) years older than me. It is just not an issue, never has been but in the world it can be looked upon (hey I look at couples with an age difference and think things) as bad or confusing. In the past 13 years together I know of 3 times he has been mistaken as my father and not my husband Oh well what are you going to do. I guess its not "normal" to have an age difference so large and I do look young and am afraid how young I will look with braces soooooo I have decided to look at this as a funny thing. I will now be starting what I will refer to as the COUNT
How many times my husband gets mistaken as my father- Pre-braces -3 Braces -0 (not on yet, 2 more days so I am sure that # will increase)
I would LOVE any suggestions as to what I can say back to people that will be funny and cute and make this situation not so uncomfortable for all parties involved. So please let me know what you think I should say back to people that say something!!!
okay back to the plan........
- CERAMIC uppers
- Metal lowers
- Forsus springs to fix the overbite
- 2+ years
- About $7,000 for the treatment, lower permanent retainer, upper retainer, 2 year follow up
- I have NO insurance
- Was told have smaller lower jaw, grew upwards ??? , anyway surgery was recommended but for $3,000 I decided no and don't have the $$. I don't like to go for surgery any more than I have to
- Looking funny - that people are going to point at me and laugh (ok I know this is NOT going to happen but it might)
- looking like a teenager
- Pain (kind of but not really, I have endometriosis which is a VERY painful disease, I take painkillers every 4 hours for a few days each month just to survive the pain, which gets so bad I throw up and am not able to leave the house for days. I have had 2 surgeries to remove the growths with no success)
- EATING- I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE crunchy hard foods, I eat popcorn, apples, nuts, granola bars and something crunchy every meal I have. I have had spacers for a week and I thought I might hurt someone I was sooooo hungry from not having enough to eat.
-$$$ I am REALLY REALLY cheap, I don't mean to be but I was raised to be obsessed with money and numbers and its hard to let that go. I married a man who could care less about $$$ and so it's a good balance. I try to not focus on the $$ but the outcome
-That I am going to do all this and that after treatment even with retainers my overbite will come back
How I am getting ready for this journey
-Found this website and bracesreview
-Reading everyones blogs and comments and feeling supported and hopeful
-Got a waterpik and new oral b professional toothbrush, lots of toothpaste, mouthwash
-Got lots of soups and soft snacks ready
-Have a very supportive husband that loves me no matter what
-Trying to stay positive and realize 2 years will go by fast and it will be worth it
-Think this might be the best or worst diet ever......... no more crunchy foods so found horrible popcorn twists to satisfy crunchy food craving
-Spacers in for a week, on pain scale of 1-10 only like a 2, more annoying than pain, hard to chew, lots of advil first couple days, more anxiety than anything
-Drinking..... I know but my nerves are getting to me, anxiety attacks and snappy and Christmas stuff isnt helping. I will have to do a cleanse in the New Year
My Outcome hopes
- That my upper tooth will move back and look normal
- That I will be able to close my mouth
- That I will be able to wear lipstick without it coming off on my teeth
- That my Grandma (who does love me dearly and has been a very important person in my life) will stop making comments
- That I can stop being so sensitive
- That it will be worth it and I can be proud to smile again
- That it will not leave that big of a dent in my bank account and I will not even notice the $150 monthly payments for the next 2.5 years (probably will be good cause I won't eat out and can not eat my favorite crunchy foods)
Thank you to everyone on these websites for helping me make this decision and for sharing your comments and for being supportive and helpful. It makes this experience less scary.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking pictures so will be updating on a regular basis.
If anyone can help with suggestions on what to say to people that confuse my husband for my father or what crunchy foods I can eat would be so helpful
I have added a couple before pictures, From far away my teeth don't look too bad until you see them up close
Getting braced December 16th 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012
My story viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37941