Braces at 28!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rgreb

Braces at 28!

#1 Post by Rgreb »

After 13 years of knowing I needed braces, I finally got them! I really didn't want braces in high school.
I wanted to have my impacted canine removed and just fill the space with a permament fake tooth. My dentist at the time removed my baby tooth and fitted me with a partial and told me to wait until my mouth was fully matured and then have the permanent work done. After high school, every dentist I saw recommended braces because of the impacted canine and the overbite. Anyway, life happened and I never got around to doing anything with the impacted canine. This year, I decided it was time to do something about my teeth. I had noticed some shifting of my teeth that were once straight and I just wasn't happy with my smile. After meeting with my orthodontist, then having my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once, ouch!), I was fitted with my braces on Wednesday! On Friday, I had my impacted canine exposed and a gold chain attached to bring it down. Anyway, I'm excited to know that I'm not the only adult in the world with braces because sometimes I feel that way! Right now I'm excited about my braces and I'm looking forward to having a beautiful smile in two years! I'm still a new member to this site, but once I'm established I will try to post some pictures of my progress.

Ellabelle

Re: Braces at 28!

#2 Post by Ellabelle »

Hi,
Welcome and congrats on your new braces! I just went to look up the link for the "impacted Canines Club" thread to share with you but I see you've found it already, good. :)

SunshineRay

#3 Post by SunshineRay »

Im jealous! That was fast moving. Its taking me months just to get the braces on. lol

Rgreb

#4 Post by Rgreb »

I actually had my wisdom teeth out at the end of March. I took all of April to recover before having my braces put on this May. So to me it seemed like forever before I finally got the braces on! I'm glad I waited until the pain and tenderness was gone from the wisdom teeth extractions before having the braces placed. Even if it seemed like forever! :)

Rgreb

#5 Post by Rgreb »

It's been a full week with the braces on! Only 103 more weeks left! Ugh, that seems like a long time! :) On the bright side, my cheeks are tougher now and my teeth aren't constantly aching! Also, the swelling from the impacted canine exposure is going down and my nose/nasal cavity no longer feels like it has an insanely itchy spot inside of it. I'm no longer slobbering excessively like a St. Bernard, so that is another plus. Flossing is a rather tedious process and lettuce is my archnemesis because if I even look at it, it will get caught in my braces. Also, someone mistook my husband for my father....we are only five years apart in age, so the braces must make me look REALLY young! But aside from lettuce, flossing, and accusations that my husband is a cradle robber...things are going well! :)

catphones

#6 Post by catphones »

Adventures with Braces :lol: Good to hear it's going great for you! I'll also be getting 2 wisdom teeth out before braces are fixed
My brace journey: "A Very Difficult Case!" http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44613

SunshineRay

#7 Post by SunshineRay »

looking young is a good thing! I take that as a positive to this journey. I dont know how old you are though, I can see if you are 21 and everyone thinks you are 14, that would be annoying.
woohoo for a week down!

Rgreb

#8 Post by Rgreb »

[quote="SunshineRay"]looking young is a good thing! I take that as a positive to this journey. I dont know how old you are though, I can see if you are 21 and everyone thinks you are 14, that would be annoying.
woohoo for a week down![/quote]

Well, I'm 28. Everyone tells me to be thankful that I look young, but looking 14 is a little too young! LOL :)

Rgreb

#9 Post by Rgreb »

Well, I'm coming up on three weeks of being braced! My next adjustment is June 19th. During that appointment they should attach the chain from my impacted tooth to my wire and begin the long process of pulling the canine into place! I've been looking at my teeth closely and taking a ridiculous number of photos, but I don't see much change so far. (I know, I know it's only been three weeks! I know everyone else with braces must stare are their teeth looking for movement, right?! I can't be the only one!) The surgical site of the impacted canine appears to be healing well. I'm still careful not to chew too aggressively in that area though. At least I have enjoyed a more varied diet since my teeth aren't constantly killing me. I was getting really sick of Greek yogurt!

Rgreb

#10 Post by Rgreb »

Well, today was my first adjustment appointment. The spring that was making more space for my impacted canine was removed. A new wire was placed and the chain from the impacted canine was attached to the wire. It wouldn't describe it as painful, but the sensation was unpleasant. Now that the wire is in place, it really isn't too bad. I suspect that it will be very sore tomorrow because they told me I should see "major movement". Also, the orthodontist is optimistic because she can already see the tooth and she said that a lot of times it takes a couple months to see a tooth! I also had some spacers put between my molars today....all I can say is......OUCH!!!!!!! My left side is killing me already! Overall, it was a good first adjustment so I can't complain too much!
Braced on 5/22/2013 at 28 years old
Canine Exposure Surgery on 5/24/2013

My Braces Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=44792

SunshineRay

#11 Post by SunshineRay »

sounds like things are moving right along. I get mine on tomorrow and I am super nervous now that its time!

JeniK

#12 Post by JeniK »

Sunshine Ray....I will probably be the same way!!

Rgreb

#13 Post by Rgreb »

Well, so much for the spacers. They already came out! They didn't even last 24 hours! I called my orthodontist and they said it wasn't a big deal.
They scheduled an appointment a week before my next adjustment to have the spacers put back in. I'm a little bit happy that they came out so quickly because the pain from the pressure moving the impacted canine is enough to deal with right now. It gives me a horrid headache. I've attached pictures of my first day with braces and a picture taken yesterday (4 weeks with braces). Hopefully I did it right and the pics show up! You can't see progress with my canine in these photos because its impacted palatally. There has been some shifting of my teeth though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jborders12

#14 Post by Jborders12 »

Looks like great progress so far.

The further you're into your treatment, the less you'll stare at your teeth looking/waiting for movement.

P.S. I'm 24 and according to most people, my braces made me look like I was still in high school.

Rgreb

#15 Post by Rgreb »

My #10 incisor feels loose. (My #11 canine is the tooth that is impacted that we are trying to pull down). Everything I've read online says that it's normal for your teeth to feel loose during treatment. It seemed as though most of the complaints were within the first few days of having braces, not months as in my case. I will say my #10 has been moving. It's moved even more since my last photo that I posted. I guess it's just that I wanted braces fix my smile and the thought of a tooth falling out makes me want to cry! Please someone tell me that they had some loose teeth throughout treatment?! I'm going to the ortho tomorrow (not concerning this, but to build up my bite because its worn down and now I'm biting directly onto the bottom front brackets). I will mention the loosened tooth to the ortho tomorrow and hopefully my fears will be squelched!

In other news, I can actually see more of my impacted canine!! Yay! Now, hopefully I can keep all these teeth in my mouth and not end up with a missing tooth because it fell out!