Bracket Replacement

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deltawire

Bracket Replacement

#1 Post by deltawire »

Hello All~

I had my 3rd adjustment about 3 weeks ago and the ortho removed 8 brackets (the ones in the back - top and bottom). For my next visit they plan on taking off more brackets and replace them (including the ones that were taken off at my last visit.) Has anyone gone through this before? If so what do you think is the reason I have to go through this process? In my opinion I think the brackets were misplaced on several of my teeth and once the shifting started my closed bite became open creating a cross bite. I would like to confront the ortho on this but I am not quite sure what I need to say. I would love to hear any advice or similar experiences anyone else had that may be similar to what I am going through.

Thanks
Deltawire
Last edited by deltawire on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

This is not uncommon. Sometimes as the teeth straighten, it becomes necessary to fine tune the placement of the brackets. Sometimes it is to put on a different type of bracket; one that is more suited for a particular problem.

My ortho hasn't replace my brackets, he bends the wire instead. Sometimes I wish he'd just replace brackets as all the bends in the wire looks bad (in my opinion) as well as it being trial and error sometimes (again, MHO).

He did, however, want to replace my upper opals with damon 3's to do a torque that the opals were resisting. Didn't have to do it after all as the opals complied. :D

I still have a lower incisor that won't line up (after 19 months) dispite the bending of that wire every single adjustment!! I almost wish the darned bracket would pop off "accidentally" :wink: so that they'd have to re bond it and maybe it would move the tooth better.

I certainly wouldn't go into your ortho with a confrontational attitude, I would ask him what his plan is with replacing all of those brackets.

So much of this process is trusting our orthos to do what they're trained to do even when it makes no sence to us. BUT, if you're concerned, you definately need to ask.

Keep us posted!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

deltawire

#3 Post by deltawire »

The reason I am concerned is because there are two ortho's that are in this office and it seems as though both have a different methodologies for my ortho treatment.

On my 3rd adjustment I was told that on my 4th adjustment I will keep my same wire and get wire ties, but instead I ended up getting 8 brackets removed. The ortho that removed the 8 brackets, wasn't the one I normally see AND she told me to make sure that she is there when I come back for my next visit.

I usually will try to ask questions when I am concerned but sometimes I feel as though they are glossing over certain issues using dental jargon and often times telling me anything to get me to feel comfortable.

I go back for my 5th adjustment next week and will keep everyone posted. Thanks for your comments.

Pirate Wench

#4 Post by Pirate Wench »

It sounds like your 2 orthos don't know the other's plan......I think you need to find out who your primary ortho is and ask if you can always make your appointments with that ortho.