Dr. J. (OVERJET)

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AG

Dr. J. (OVERJET)

#1 Post by AG »

Dr. J.

I also have an overjet. I would like to know your opinion about this:

-Premolar extracions? (first or second ones)?

or

- Surgery?

Thank in advance.

http://www.geocities.com/ag_1234567/

dr.j

overjet

#2 Post by dr.j »

With what I can see my cursory opinion would be against extraction of any teeth. You appear on x-ray to have a deficient lower jaw but you have a nice compensatory chin button. If you remove upper premolars and retract the overjet the incisors will come back and the lip will as well. This could make the lower 3rd of the face appear concave or "dished in". Especially with a good chin button.
Moreover, on x-ray you appear to have a fairly narrow airway (look just in front of your spinal column at the narrow shadows). A lower jaw advancement surgery would open the airway (maybe helping with future snoring/sleep apnea problems). Surgery would also give a more youthful appearance whereas exo's may age you. I don't not know your age but women usually want as much lip support as the get get. As we get older the vermillion of our lips shrink. I am pro-surgery and against exo's here.

Just know that this is my opinion based on little data. I'm definitley to be taken witha grain of salt b/c your not in my office.

Dr J
Dr.J - Ortho