Damon braces really require little or no teeth extraction???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

davidchubs

#16 Post by davidchubs »

Thanks Meryaten and Karen!

I remember my ortho did use IPR on some of my teeth b4. But I guess there's a limit to how much she could reduce.

I'll take it easy for the next 1-2 weeks before I decide on what to do. Will let you know how it goes! :D

Rickysa

#17 Post by Rickysa »

Interesting topic...

Let me start with a disclaimer, that what follows is my personal opinion:

Quoting Meryaten: "There's nothing that a properly trained ortho can do with Damons that he or she could not do with another brand of brackets."

I could not have said it better.

I don't use Damon (or any self-ligating bracket) because I like to see my patients every four weeks...one of the main selling points for SLBs is pushing adjustment appointments futher apart.

We have many patients transfer into our practice when the move into our area, and several have Damons....we will work with them, but often will remove them and place the traditional brackets (an no charge) that we use....just personal preference.

David: If you are unhappy with the current alignment of your teeth, then go with the extractions as prescribed...Personally, I use IPR only rarely, when there is a tooth-size discrepency (referred to as a "Bolton descrepency") between the upper and lower teeth. Often the upper lateral incisors can be too small (proportionately), creating an end-to-end relationship once the teeth are aligned...then you either reproximate the lower anteriors, or build up the small laterals.

Other folks are more agressive with IPR, using it as a means to alleviate crowding....again, just personal preferrence.

davidchubs

#18 Post by davidchubs »

Thanks Rickysa, for your comments and opinions. It's good to listen from an orthodontist's perspective. :)

I'm still considering my "tricky" options. Will decide before the weekend.

I suppose orthodontics is really subjective in that it depends on whether one is comfortable with his or her present teeth. Some say my teeth look ok because when I talk or smile, people don't normally stare hard to notice the imperfections. Yet, I think those who are on braces and have paid thousands of $ natually want perfection for themselves.

Tough choice for me as I have said. :?

bunnyfluff

#19 Post by bunnyfluff »

I have those brackets, and as it's been said before...the brackets themselves really have little to do with the progress of your teeth.

And as far as extractions go, I had four teeth pulled about two years ago so whoever said that whole blurb about the little to no extractions...liar! :P

Good luck to you!

Bella1994

Re: Damon braces really require little or no teeth extraction???

#20 Post by Bella1994 »

Hi David, may I know how your teeth looks like now? Did you go on with the teeth extraction?
I M in a similar situation as you were. I had one template on my upper left side removed for brace a when I was 16 years old. I have never had braces on my lower case and now I have an open bite and difficulties saying some words. My jaw clicks from time to time to. I am thinking of doing braces to correct my bite. Because of the side effects I am facing today. I am not keen to remove any more of my precious teeth