Vegan Soft Foods

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katica

Vegan Soft Foods

#1 Post by Katica »

Hello! I'm new to the message board and I've only had my braces for a few weeks now (uppers only for starters to help correct a deep bite - jaw surgery to come later). For the first week, I was in so much pain, I couldn't chew at all. Eek!

Now, I'm a vegan and have been for four years. It's like being vegetarian, but stricter - I also avoid eggs and dairy products.

For the benefit of other new vegan braces-wearers, I'm going to post a list of soft vegan foods. Please feel free to add your own vegan soft foods to the list. :)

If you're curious about veganism, this website will explain more about it.

If you're vegan and looking for a recipe resource, check out VegWeb.com for all kinds of recipes!

And now....

A List of Soft Vegan Foods

- Oatmeal

- "Mushy toast" - I'd resorted to toasting bread, cutting the crusts off, "buttering" it liberally with dairy-free margarine, cutting the toast into bite-sized pieces, and then microwaving it until softened, sometimes topped with maple syrup. It's kind of pathetic but it's the easiest way to chew it!

- Whole-wheat macaroni and vegetables (mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, tomato, etc). I finely dice the vegetables, so no chewing is required.

- "Jello" type desserts that have been congealed with agar, pectin, or carageenan. Check out Asian grocery stores for ones in flavours like mango and lychee. And some have little cubes of nata de coco suspended in them - yum :)

- Applesauce

- Most canned fruit (Peaches were fine, but papaya was hard to chew)

- Fresh soft fruits, particularly bananas and peaches. It may be necessary to cut them.

- Smoothies (Here's a tip - buy the frozen bags of mixed berries and pop'em in the blender with some chocolate soymilk. The end result is like a liquid chocolate rasperry linzer tart!)

- Ramen noodles, broken into small pieces before cooking

- POTATOS. Mashed potatos especially....When you start to chew again, hash browned potatos and deli-style potato wedges are good to start with.

- Canned peas. Canned creamed corn is good too but requires a little bit of chewing.

- Soup - every type of soup imaginable...especially with crackers crumbled in

- Vegetable dumplings from the asian grocery store. I've discovered that a simple sort of won-ton soup can be made by boiling them for a few minutes with vegetable broth, sesame oil and soy sauce. you'd think that these things would require chewing, but i just break them up with the side of my spoon and I'm all set!

- Dahl - Lentils that have been cooked until they practically melt, and are seasoned with spices like cumin and garam masala. Just be careful using turmeric or curry powders with clear or light coloured ligs though, you could stain them!

- Rice Pudding (Check out the Racy Raisin Rice Pudding from the cookbook How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. yum!)

- Avocado

- Polenta - Just add tomato sauce for an almost instant soft dinner.

- Tofu pudding or mousse (Click here for a delicious chocolate mousse recipe!)

- Bean dip, straight up! Hummus, refried beans...who says you need bread?

- Soy or rice-based ice cream

- Tapioca pudding

- Cream of wheat cereal

- Cupcakes or muffins, if they're soft enough that you can mush them around with your tongue. These spice muffins are pretty soft and flavourful!

- Mashed vegetables. Good mashin' vegetables include potato, sweet potato, rutabaga, acorn squash, butternut squash, carrots, and parsnips. Although I wouldn't reccomend a bowl of straight-up mashed parsnip..those things are kinda bitter.

- Soy yogurt. Some health-food stores sell this.

When I was able to start chewing a little again, Amy's bean & veg burritos were easy to start with (except that it hurt to chew the tortilla, but the filling was fine)

This is all I can think of for now, but I'll be sure to add more as time goes on. After I get my first adjustment, I expect I'll be in pain again. I'll experiment with some other foods (like canned baked beans - those seem to me like they should be soft enough!) and I'll report back with my results :)

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

Wow, that's quite a list! I'm not a vegan, but a lot of that stuff sounds really tasty.

Now, as a bit of an aside, and with no intention to threadjack, I have a question about veganism (is that the word? lol) I understand not eating any animal products, but I don't understand the reson behind not eating/drinking/consuming milk. I'm no dairy farmer, but isn't milking essential to a cow's well-being? Or is the opposition more to the way cows are treated on large farms? I'm not trying to be agrumentitive, or undermine your beliefs, I'm truely curious about this, and I don't know any vegans personally!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Katica

#3 Post by Katica »

Meryaten - Thanks!

Jillianleab - Hi! I can't speak for all vegans, but I avoid animal products because I don't feel that another should have to suffer to satisfy my palate. Dairy farming involves practises that must surely cause pain & suffering (identifying practises like brandings or cutting notches into ears, waddles, etc, over-crowded living conditions, filthy living conditions, dairy's connection to the veal industry, mistreatment of downed animals, etc)

I'm not saying that every farmer mistreats his animals, but I have personally seen enough mistreatment that I want nothing at all to do with the dairy industry.

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

Thank you both for the explanination. I figured it had to do with the treatment of animals and the way (many) farmers go about obtaining the products. It's something I had always wondered about vegans, and now I know! Thanks!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

overseasmel

#5 Post by overseasmel »

That's a great list of foods, Katica. I'm vegetarian although I don't eat eggs and am pretty limited with my dairy intake, so I'm a little on the ways to vegan. Like Karen I have a a soft spot for chocolate and cheese and haven't found vegan substitute that really floats my boat, so to speak! I console myself with the fact that I decided to do this when I was a preschooler (my parents had no idea what I was going on about!), so perhaps although I haven't gone the whole hog (how ironic :S), in pure years I am making some kind of contribution.

Thanks again for the list, creativity goes a long way in dealing with the double-dietary limitation of orthodontic work/surgery and being vego/vegan.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

lunadali

Re: Vegan Soft Foods

#6 Post by lunadali »

hummus! I'm painfully eating it off of toast but I might end up just licking it off of toast. Also babaganoush. I'm vegan too and looking for something filling to eat, seems like carbs are off limits because my spacers hurt sooooooo badly I can't chew much at all.