Bisphenol A (BPA)

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

elaine

Bisphenol A (BPA)

#1 Post by elaine »

I have been searching online and have not been able to get a definitive answer on whether Invisalign aligners contain bisphenol A (BPA) the polycarbonate plastic that has just been banned in Canada. Does anyone here know anything about this?

Thanks.

AnneC

#2 Post by AnneC »

Elaine - I have copies of the MSDS sheets from my dentist for Invisalign's "EX30" material that the regular aligners are made of.

In the "Composition/Information on Ingredients" section, it lists:

Polyurethane from methylene diphenyl diisocyanate and 1,6-hexanediol.
Additives

In the "Hazards Identification" it states "this product consists primarily of high molecular weight polymers which are not expected to be hazardous."

I'm no chemist, but as far as I can tell from that, there are no BPAs to worry about...

There is concern however of it being in dental sealants & some filling composites.

I'm in Canada too, & was only aware that as of last week Health Canada was asking for public comment (for a 2 month period) on whether or not to ban the import & sales of baby bottles containing it. Some retailers have yanked them off the shelves already - by choice. As far as I know, the ban is still only in the proposal stage.

Maybe I missed something?

elaine

#3 Post by elaine »

Thank you. I will try to get a copy of the MSDS from my dentist.

I am glad it is not BPA, but when you think about it, "Polyurethane from methylene diphenyl diisocyanate and 1,6-hexanediol" does not sound so wonderful, either. A little denial and hope for the best is needed, I guess.

I probably overstated the situation in Canada. It has been getting a lot of hype down here. The main concern seems to be baby bottles because they are boiled, which causes the harmful molecules to leach out, and babies are more susceptible to the harm.

leftyme

#4 Post by leftyme »

California has just banned BPA too. I have a baby and have been avoiding it since he was born. It's in more than plastics too! It's added to tons of cosmetics and health products.

Rippersmile

Email from align technology re bisphenol A

#5 Post by Rippersmile »

Hi Everyone,

I have just read the threads about bisphenol A and thought Id share what I have been told by Align Technology via email. I contacted the company on the 6th Dec last year and requested info about the possible side affects/ chemicals that could affect an un-born baby...the response was this.....

"while Invisalign Aligners do not contain the chemical Bisphenol-A, your doctor would be the best person to determine if you should continue with treatment during your pregnancy"

tdevonshire@aligntech.com
Director Customer Care, Align Technology

I must admit though that I am frustrated by the lack of direct information about the safety of this product - expecting 'lay people' to interpret a msds and hand ball them to a Dr is a bit of a cop out!

Anyway, hope this helps you in your search for info.
Rippersmile :o

AnneC

#6 Post by AnneC »

Just a note to corroborate Rippersmile's info above -

Align Tech has now posted their statement on their Invisalign website:

http://www.invisalign.com/WhatIs/Pages/FAQ.aspx#12

"Invisalign aligners and Vivera Retainers do not contain Bisphenol-A or phthalate plasticizers. These aligners and retainers are made with USP Class VI medical grade, high molecular weight, polyurethane resins. Tests have been conducted to determine the biocompatibility of these materials, and show that they are biocompatible and pass all applicable regulatory requirements and thresholds for human wear in the mouth. Of course, as with any medical device, you should consult with your health professional about your aligner or retainer treatment and any applicable risks of use."