Interproximal reduction? Risks/benefit ratio?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Granola

Interproximal reduction? Risks/benefit ratio?

#1 Post by Granola »

Hi Dr. J and everyone,

Are there any risks associated with IPR at all?

One of the orthos I consulted with said she would take a very conservative approach to IPR, while another said it would be absolutely necessary.

I've already had extractions (as a child) of 4 biscuspids, and the amount of crowding/space deficiency has been estimated at 3-4 mm on the lowers, 2-3 mm on the uppers.

Even though it is commonly done, I don't like the idea of having my teeth "filed", especially because my lower teeth are proportionately smaller than my uppers and I'm afraid, aesthetically and functionally, that this will cause a problem. Are there any risks such as weakening of the tooth structures, etc?

Have I given enough information here to ascertain why one ortho would say "we'll wait and see" and another would say "you need IPR for sure."? Can one achieve a good orthodontic result without IPR with crowding? Would I want to question the ortho I've chosen (who is the one who says IPR is necessary?) further?
Last edited by Granola on Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

swindler

#2 Post by swindler »

wow...I actualy need this too...except my dr called it "sanding"....what does it really mean anyways? is this associated tot he front teeth? and is it sanding in between?

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

It does seem to be very common. My ortho referred to it at "slenderizing" and said they put a small, thin disk on the end of the drill tool. The disk is made of sandpaper-like material and they "sand" off a little of the tooth's enamel. He said that normal enamel is 1 - 1.5mm thick and they only "sand" off .25 - .5mm.

He made is sound like no big deal. Nonetheless, I'm not eager to have it done :?
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Granola

#4 Post by Granola »

Dr. J, just to clarify, I do know exactly what IPR is and how it is done, but my questions above go beyond that. Thank you.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

dr.j

#5 Post by dr.j »

IPR: boy I set lofty goals for what I hope to accomplish with IPR but unless the teeth have a triangular shape you can't really do it well. If the doc is worried about the proportion between upper and lower teeth after lower IPR that may mean you need upper IPr - no one likes this unless their teeth are really wide and pear shaped on top. It's not that archaic of a technique and we do it all of the time. I'm just not the authority on it. Look up articles by Dr. Sheridan on Google and he is the man on this subject - from Louisiana.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho