Joplin's Story (photos on page 12)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joplin

#121 Post by joplin »

Thank you, Manda! Tomorrow is the day, 26 hours from now. The butterflies have been there for days already!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

Clo

#122 Post by Clo »

Hi Joplin,

I wish you all the best for tomorrow.
I hope all will happen as planned, so you can finally start your braces
"adventure" pretty soon !

joplin

#123 Post by joplin »

Thank you, Clo! I appreciate your words, as always :)

It's The Most Important Day on my way towards an improved smile. This is what we've been preparing with the palatal expansion and all.
I'm going to need some positive vibes, so could you sweet people please send some over if you have any to spare? Aim some at my OS too, so that he will have a steady hand and all the patience and concentration needed! In fact, could you all just come there with me and hold my hand...? No? :wink:
I'm really nervous now and can not really think much of anything else but You Know What.
I assume I'll be off work at least for the rest of the week so I hope to report early next week.

Here goes, wish me luck!
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

londonchick

#124 Post by londonchick »

Joplin, just wanted to add my bit of "good luck". Hope all goes smoothly and just think in a few weeks you'll be chatting to us about brackets and ligs !

Dodger(UK)

#125 Post by Dodger(UK) »

Joplin - Hope everything goes smoothly and well for you over the next few days or so, you certainly deserve a break!! - Good Luck! :wink:

Loop

#126 Post by Loop »

Joplin,

ImageImageImageImageImage G O O D L U C K! ! ! ImageImageImageImageImage

I will be thinking of you tomorrow! Try not to stress too much - I'm sure everything will go smoothly for you and you'll be back to normal soon.
Make sure you get someone to pamper you whilst you're recovering!

fyrelight

#127 Post by fyrelight »

Hope your surgery went well and you are feeling fine soon, Joplin! :D
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

joplin

#128 Post by joplin »

Thanks, everyone! I just popped in to report that the surgery - according to my OS - went OK. My first question after getting my mouth free of all the tools and fingers and stuff was "Are my laterals still safe?" and the OS said yes and he explained how he had chopped the canines in three pieces and pulled them out one piece at a time.
That's good to hear, but knowing myself I'll stay worried until the check up appointment next Thursday, still. I dare not touch those laterals in fear that I might feel them move!

This time the IV sedation was different although they gave me the exact same dosage than the last time. This time I could hear everything they said and I felt what they were doing. It was not painful, but there was one episode where I felt some pain: the left canine just would not go without resistance and they had to work with its root quite aggressively before it was out. That hurt some and it took a while before it was over. Without the sedation I probably would have bounced up to the ceiling, but the drug kept me cool about it.

Both canines were so close to the surface of my gums that they could cut them out from the lip side of my mouth which made it easier for both the OS and his team AND me. The OS said the incisions are only about 2-3 cm long. I guess they look the same as in Loop's pictures she posted recently.
I can't see them myself (and I wouldn't take a look if I could!) because my upper lip if so stiff right now, I can barely move it.

Also my face got so swollen, the day after the surgery it was almost twice its normal size! I looked like a Halloween pumpkin. It's slowly getting better now, but the first bruises are showing up. Like Manda, I too have a black eye now! I look beaten up! I just went to the pharmacist's to get something for facial bruises. I explained the situation but I could read the "Yeah, right...a dental accident, huh?" in their eyes... Go try to convince anyone about that having a tooth pulled gave you a black eye and a swollen face like this!

Manda

#129 Post by Manda »

Congradulations Joplin!! :jump:
I'm happy to hear things went so well for you! The black eye part of it all really is a pain, but mine only lasted about a week and it was gone. Good luck with the rest of your recovery, hope its a speedy one! Be sure to keep us updated. Take care!
Braced for 7months, 4 days
Wireless since December 21, 2005 and loving it!

joplin

#130 Post by joplin »

Thanks, Manda! I'm back to work and feeling better. And looking better too: no more pumpkin face :) Just staying worried if all my remaining teeth will survive this. They said no need to worry, but this is me :roll:
The black eye is still there, but luckily the rest of my face seems to be so far bruise free [knocking on wood!]. Stitches will come off on Thursday.

Clo

#131 Post by Clo »

Hi,

glad that you are back and that things seem to go well !
Did they say it would have been (im)possible to bring your canines down ?
Take care Joplin.

joplin

#132 Post by joplin »

Did they say it would have been (im)possible to bring your canines down ?

They didn't spontaniously tell me and I didn't ask. I was too out really to ask any sensible questions because of the sedation. I just tottered away with a bag of ice on my face.
Anyway, I'm thinking since they were sentenced to go, I may be better off not knowing. Too late for those what-ifs. I think I had my fair share of those along the way!

Clo

#133 Post by Clo »

Too late for those what-ifs. I think I had my fair share of those along the way!
Yes, you are so right about that. Sorry that I asked.

joplin

#134 Post by joplin »

Update:

Stitches are now off and things should be healing up.
Next stop: a regular dental check up to rule out any chance of having cavities on my uppers where the brackets will be placed. It's been a year since my last check up. Then cleaning. Then braces. I still can't believe it's about to happen after all this surgical hullabaloo :roll:

kelly12300

#135 Post by kelly12300 »

Joplin- Just wanted to say I'm glad everything went OK! You're really brave! :D
~*~Kelly~*~