Joplin's Story (photos on page 12)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joplin

#376 Post by joplin »

Oh no, it turned out to be the retainer from hell: it is the whole palate covering thing of thick plastic with a built in expander(!) on top of everything - as if I didn't have enough of those for one lifetime. It makes me gag so much I had to tell the ortho's assistant that this is not going to work. Water is running down my eyes and I feel like I can't breathe. Saliva builds up on top of it, I can not swallow and if I try, I almost puke and I have to take the appliance out.

Here's the evil thingy:
ImageImage

A moment ago the ortho called (she wasn't there at the appointment herself today) and said she was sorry that this came to me as a surprise: it shouldn't have. They should have talked to me about it before they threw it at me. Especially because at the last appointment I specifically reminded her about my gagging issue. She said: "Now that you mention that, I remember that conversation christal clear, but I didn't when I was planning the appliance for you. I'm very sorry." She promised that tomorrow they will make me regular retainer, hoping that I can cope with it better.

Dammit, I was sooooo happy about my new teeth for two hours and then this anti-climax :( Let's hope tomorrow will ease things up.
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

HollyDontSpend

yay!

#377 Post by HollyDontSpend »

I know it must seem like a let down but it sounds like they'll do something to fix it. :?

How long do you have to wear the retainer? You have such a thurough orthodontist. Too bad she didn't tell you about the retainer.

Either way, you've come a long way Joplin, this is a hoop to jump through, but it's the last one. :thumbsup: Hang in there!
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

joplin

#378 Post by joplin »

OK, things are looking a little better today. I went back to the ortho's and asked her assistant to show some of the regular retainers - and they don't look that much easier for me :( So I decided to be a trooper and stick with this thing for as long as it takes. After all, having slept through last night with this retainer-expander in and spending this morning wearing it, it doesn't make me gag anymore and I can produce something similar to speech :roll:

I'm seeing my ortho again next week. She'll check things out and let me know for how long I need to deal with this appliance. I am supposed to make one turn of the expander key a week to give a final push to a couple of teeth that seem to be too attached to their old cross biting habits. Then I'm moving on to a normal retainer.

I also got a permanent retainer (wire) on top to make sure my lateral won't go wandering about. I would hate to seem them try and go back to where they used to be (see page 12)! So I'm double secured retentionwise now.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

joplin

#379 Post by joplin »

Thanks, Ken :) I hope they have a nice and comfortable teeny weeny tiny little retainer planned for you - if such things exist! Anyway, knowing by my own experience now, the mouth seems to have impressive capability to adjust to all sorts of monsterous things :shock:

Trying to lay back and enjoy my nakkies now after the initial retainer shock :) Thanks again for listening to my whining!

Clo

#380 Post by Clo »

Hi joplin,

oh dear, your ortho once more showed her ... rather poor communication skills.
BUT also that she did an awesome job. That is the most important thing ! Your
teeth and smile look fantastic ! Very very well done !

Yes indeed, it is amazing how one adjust to all kinds of appliances. If they are
made a bit reasonable. Not like that dreadful biteblock I had some time ago.
I am glad that you are doing better now wearing this dual function thingy. I am
sure within some time, you hardly will notice it anymore. And it is also so very
"transparant". Like it will disappear soon altogether.

joplin

#381 Post by joplin »

Thank you, Clo! I'm very happy with the results and, that said, a little ashamed that I blew that retainer shock out of proportion for a while :paperbag: It honestly felt like a mission impossible at first. But yes, I too think that my ortho has done a great job - even though she has managed to push my buttons from time to time. It has been a long journey and I'm still almost in disbelief that I've come this far! Can't pass by a mirror without having a quick look just to make sure it's true and I'm not just dreaming :)

Chris

#382 Post by Chris »

Congratulations, Joplin...you've come a long way baby!! :-)o :-)o :-)o :-)o :-)o :-)o :-)o
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

joplin

#383 Post by joplin »

Thank you, Chris! It was a journey worth taking!

joplin

#384 Post by joplin »

My ortho did a check up on my expander-retainer today. I found out that this appliance can do tricks the braces could not - hence the "2 in 1" appliance I had never seen or heard of before. My left molars are way too willing to stay in a crossbite and this expander-retainer is used to force them a little further outwards than they agreed to go with the help from braces. Meanwhile this appliance is doing its second job in keeping the rest of the teeth where they should be staying. And there is no front wire, so it's really not a bad deal after all.

I am supposed to do one turn of the expander key / week, maximum of 5 key turns altogether. The ortho will do the next check up in August and see if I'm ready for my actual upper retainer by then - the regular kind everyone else out there is wearing. So the treatment is still in process, actually, but I'm glad the process can go on without the braces.

I hated this appliance at first, having had my share of expanders, but now I'm thinking it's a good thing my ortho is still aiming for the best possible result and not taking any shortcuts - although this particular patient almost didn't have the extra patience :wink: