Opinions plz! chrisD invisalign- ceramic- metal- off(Pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jennielee81

#61 Post by jennielee81 »

Chris, they look real good! :D

I almost had my upper ceramics replaced with metal back in October for the same reason, but the ceramics were scared by the threat :P and flaired my teeth just right; much to the surprise of my ortho.

You've come a long way! You've tackled the tri-fecta of ortho....Invisalign, ceramic brackets and then finally(?) traditional brackets. The only thing you've not sampled is lingual braces. :-**

Keep up the good work and the positive attitude!!

Is there any talk of your end date??
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

chrisd

#62 Post by chrisd »

thanks for the kind words everyone;-)

yes, linda21, i am really very happy with my ortho. he and his staff are really fantastic. he is experienced and enthusiastic and i think he is really trying to do a good job.

i hate to say this...but my ortho had recommended these brackets in the first place, and i asked if he was willing to try the ceramics. he obliged but i wish i had kept my mouth shut and taken his advice. i guess the moral of the story is: listen to your ortho;-)

thanks, jennielee81. i am actually pretty excited about the bracket swap. kinda like a kid with a new toy! cant stop looking at them. lol.

and i can tell you that even with this little dinky wire i have in my teeth have flared out a bit. my bite is way more comfortable after only 4 days!!

maybe i just needed to work up to the metals, having started with invisalign;-( lets pray i dont end up with linguals next argh!!!

meryaten, i appreciate your sympathy. this is the sorest i have been since i first got my braces, but it is mainly my fronts...so no biting into anything. ill tell you though, that upper running tie wire zinged my gaps closed!!!

as far as an end date. who knows, and i am not asking. i am just going along with the ride from here on out. i dont care how long. just want things to look the best they can.

good luck, chris
http://community.webshots.com/user/cruelcanbekind
3m clarity on top changed to supertorque metal
3m victory metals bottom
estimated treatment time 16-20 months

chrisd

#63 Post by chrisd »

glad to join the club bracedagain :) and like i said i am actually wierdly excited to have the metals?!?

my ortho said that the ceramics have come a long way and 9 out of 10 times they can do the job, but the metals still provide a wider range of prescriptions and therfore treatment possibilities.

as far as differences: the metals are definatally smaller, mostly in depth, but also in length, width and height. strangly though the ceramics did feel a bit smooother, and the hooks for the elastics are much taller on the metals. so i notice the metals more when i talk/laugh/smile, but i was aware of the cermics more otherwise if that makes sense. all in all though not too much difference

all in all i am just happy my ortho is being so meticulous, and i have really felt ( in a good way) the difference in the way my bite feels since the swap.

chris
3m victory metals bottom

chrisd

#64 Post by chrisd »

well, i had my 11th adjustment monday, as i close in on my 1 year anniversary...

i got a new upper arch wire - a rectangular, larger size (didnt catch what size but the assistant remarked that it was tough to get the larger archwires through the molar bracket slots.)

i am also back into elastics after a few month holiday. new triangle configuration.

needless to say i was very sore! i have REALLY felt the last two adjustments thats for sure.

went with "brilliant bllack" ligs, and they left the lace back wire ties off this time.

my ortho comented that he was really pleased with the movement since my last adjustment when he refit my upper arch with all metal brackets, and the assistant remarked that i was estimated to have about 8 months left :)

and now some pics....
front Image
multiview with triangle elastics Image
3m victory metals bottom

chrisd

#65 Post by chrisd »

i thought i should add that i have pretty much gotten used to the metal brackets now. as far as living with them daily, i must say there is NO difference from the ceramics.

they are definatallly more noticable, but no one has seemed to notice the switch...further proof that people really dont care!!!

i must say that my ortho was really excited about the movement since last adjustment, as things had kind of stopped moving....but i also got a lot of movement when the ceramics were initially fitted :?

a few more pics:
adjustments 1-5Image
adjustments 6,7,9,10Image
3m victory metals bottom

lionfish

#66 Post by lionfish »

Indeed, it's hard to think you've got 8 months left.

The hooks on the metals are, as you say, somewhat taller than the ceramics. For what it's worth, do you find that this makes them more secure when you eat? Just curious, because mine are forever coming unstuck from the ceramic hooks.

Tin Indian

#67 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Your teeth are really looking nice Chris!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

chrisd

#68 Post by chrisd »

thanks for the kind words everyone, and i am glad to hear some postive comments on the black ligs. i wasnt sure, but i really dig em! but ill have to try something diff next time. :)

yes linda, my midline does appear a bit shifted, but i think that a lot of that is due to the fact that after a few weeks without the elastics my jaw kind of found its natural position to sit in. so i think there was a lot less actual movement of the midlines than it looks.

the reamining plan is to finish off the midline, get the bite locked in, have some bonding done to my small upper lateral incisors and get my lower centrals fixed up (chipped).

as for the hooks, they are much taller and hold the elastics a lot better. i frequently had them pop off the ceramics. not a problem with the metals.

after the last adjustment i was really sick of the braces for a few days, and was wishing things would finish up. that is the first time i have felt that way, but i am going to stick it out as long as it takes for the best result. 8 months, a year, whatever :D

thanks, chris
3m victory metals bottom

lionfish

#69 Post by lionfish »

Thanks for the feedback, chris. I'm having a bunch of lower brackets repositioned soon and if there's an option to do metal, I might seriously consider it. I wouldn't have been caught dead saying this a year ago!!

Sumendoza

#70 Post by Sumendoza »

Awesome progress and pictures Chris... CONGRATS!! :D

chrisd

#71 Post by chrisd »

i agree lionfish. i was not comfortable doing the metal brackets when i got the braces put on. but i do not feel one bit uncomfortable having them now. actually kind of fun having the chance to try both.

thanks for the compliments Sumendoza

chris
3m victory metals bottom

platinum

#72 Post by platinum »

Interesting that you have tested the "whole set" :)
The clear ceramics looked the best, metal ones are eh... too visible.
But of yourse it is best to use the ones who do the work.

Youare going to get very nice smile after your treatment :)

chrisd

#73 Post by chrisd »

well, i keep plugging along, but i am now having appointments every two weeks as my orhtodontist tinkers with things. he is a bit of a perfectionist. he felt my right central was "1 or 2 degrees off." so a new wire with a few subtle bends, ligatation of my centrals together and off i go.

i have developed a gap between my right upper central lateral incisor canine that keeps coming and going though ;-( talk about that next time.

ill get some pics up soon. have fun!!
chris
3m victory metals bottom

Mmmmuuaa

#74 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Wow your teeth look really great. Doesn't look like you need anymore done! Though it's great that your sticking it out. Might as well have it done perfectly. Hopefully my othodontist proves to be as much as a perfectionist as yours.

bracesafter40

#75 Post by bracesafter40 »

chrisd wrote:well, i keep plugging along, but i am now having appointments every two weeks as my orhtodontist tinkers with things. he is a bit of a perfectionist. he felt my right central was "1 or 2 degrees off." so a new wire with a few subtle bends, ligatation of my centrals together and off i go.

i have developed a gap between my right upper central lateral incisor canine that keeps coming and going though ;-( talk about that next time.

ill get some pics up soon. have fun!!
chris
Chris,
You've had impressive progress; I guess I have something to look forward to; I've only had silver and light blue ligs so far, but its only been since Feb. 28. Any updates on your treatment, pics, etc?
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a