SARPE and Expanders: My Reader's Digest Version

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

SARPE and Expanders: My Reader's Digest Version

#1 Post by overseasmel »

Hi guys.

I posted this in one of Jean and Kim's messages, but I thought it might be handy to have it as a stand alone topic too. It's my summary of my experiences with the expander and surgery (I had SARPE and septal reconstruction), which I hope is helpful to some of you out there going through the same thing. You are SO not alone!

1. First week after expander fitted: This thing is awful. I can't swallow. Which is fantastic, since I am producing the world's largest amount of saliva. (I actually walked around work with a drool cup!). And I can't talk properly. I tried to order flowers for my partner's mother, whose father just died, and the woman couldn't understand my rendition of their address. This is horrible. I shall cry. And how do I chew with this thing in??

2. Second week after expander fitted: I sound slightly mentally retarded, but have finally worked out how to make "s" sounds. Let's get this surgery over so this object has a purpose.

3. Surgery: Hmm that went okay. Morphine is goood.

4. First few days after surgery: This is frickin awful. I look like my head has been bashed in. I can't walk down stairs unaided. How can it be this bad? This is evil. I am a masochist. These drugs aren't enough. I wake up every 4 hours in pain. Honey, get me some more drugs. Oh hang on I can't speak, let me write it down. And can I have a seventh pillow please?

5. 5-15 days after surgery: Oh man I am tired of this liquid diet. But it hurts to bite down. I wonder what else I can puree.... At least I don't need the drugs as much anymore. But I am borrrred. Take these darned things out of my nostrils so I don't need this drip tray!! Hmm... And when I turn the key it literally feels like my head is separating. It makes me rather dizzy. Note to self: turn at night, just before bed.

6. First month while turning: Hmm okay, gnocchi is good.... And there is a big gap now- it opened slowly in the beginning but now its going great guns. I wonder if I can stick a drinking straw through it. Oh yes I can. Look Pete, I can stick a straw through my gap!

7. Second month of turning: Oh for God's sake I am sick of this. I look like a Jack-o-lantern. Just when I had learned to speak again I have effectively lost my front teeth and now have a new lisp. Dr. Lam, please can I stop turning. Please.....

8. Months after I stopped turning: Woohoo! No more freaky head-splitting-open. But would you please close up gap. Maybe if I stroke my teeth and encourage them. No that's not working. Oh hang on.... they're going... Yay!

9. 6 months after surgery: My teeth are still. Fixed, unmoving. I can pronounce everything except a British/Australian "new" sound. It's these small things that make you a happy happy woman.

10. Expander off, braces on: Hallelujah! Braces rock. They rock because I feel no pain, I don't have to do anything, they get (mostly) better and not worse, and I CAN TOUCH THE ROOF OF MY MOUTH AFTER 8 MONTHS!!

I hope my journey at least helps you feel normal when you have those down moments. Best wishes to everyone out there on the journey! :D

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

4beauty4symmetry

#2 Post by 4beauty4symmetry »

Thanks for this, Mel.

I've been walking around with a rag, into which I drool, or stuff inside my mouth to mop up the excess saliva.

Went to the gym and was relieved to find I could work out on the elliptical just fine.

Today I had to call the clinic in Costa Rica where I am having my surgery, to inquire about pre-op blood work and EKG. Almost didn't make it through the conversation--"I need a PPT test." I don't know if I'll ever be able to pronounce PPT to anyone's satisfaction as long as this contraption in in my mouth.

By the way the blood work--clotting, iron level, glucose, and the like--will cost me 97 dollars, the EKG will be 30 USD.

Eat your heart out Blue Cross.

Jenn

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

I have followed your story and saw the pictures you posted. You are a real trooper. I had my palate widened at the same time as my upper and lower jaw surgery. I woke up after surgery with a small gap of about 3-4mm. That's as big as it got but it drove me nuts (at least I already had my braces on). I didn't have an expander but did have a surgical splint for 6 weeks to hold the expansion and band the jaws shut. Like you that splint thing taking up the space in my mouth was a pain. Eating and talking were very difficult. I had very little pain after surgery because of all the numbness but I did have noticible pain right behind my front teeth where the palate was cut. For me too, it felt like my head was being pulled apart. My experience with all this was short, yours was long, you deserve a gold star!