Roadster1200xl's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roadster1200xl

Roadster1200xl's story

#1 Post by roadster1200xl »

Hi everyone! Here’s my story…

I’m 45 and my teeth are not that bad, especially when you compare them to many of the others on this forum who have some major work. Still, I have a minor underbite and crowded lower teeth that will take a couple of years to straighten out.

So I finally decided to see about straightening things out and saw the orthodontist last December. He said that correction with braces was possible but might require pulling a tooth or surgery. Ouch. I’m hoping the braces work!

So about a month ago I got the spacers in. That sure is an interesting experience. The rubber spacers felt pretty weird. A week later I went in to get the bands but it turned out the upper spacers had broken and had not done their job. They couldn’t get the upper brackets on. So now it was METAL spacers on top! I also got the lower bands on at the same time.

So far the bands were the most difficult and painful experience as they wanted to pinch my cheek occasionally. Fortunately, things settled down after about a week. Since it was so close to Christmas and the office was closed over the break I kept the spacers in until the 4th of January.

Turns out the metal spacers did a great job so that day they put the upper bands and brackets on and my first wire. The bottom wire did not go on and now I don’t remember why. Still, it gave me a chance to adapt to just the top one for a month. It’s been pretty easy going and I sure am glad of that.

I didn’t take any pictures before the top wire was put on. Here’s a couple of pictures of my bite:

Here you can see the crowding along the bottom:

On February 1st I go back in for my first checkup. I’ll let you know how that goes.

Cheers!
Brian

(edit to add a few steps I'd forgotten)

After I had the consult and decided to get braces they made a mold of my teeth/bite and later made a plaster cast from that. It looked pretty cool!

Then I went to a service they outsource to have a complete set of pictures and x-rays done on my mouth. They use some very detailed techniques!

This was before they put in spacers and brackets, etc. The mold and x-rays helped the orthodontist decide on the treatment plan.

Ortho says I have a Class III Occlusion with underbite and crowding on the lower teeth. Ironically, I went to braces because of the crowding on the bottom but will have only an upper arch for a few months.
Last edited by roadster1200xl on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

roadster1200xl

#2 Post by roadster1200xl »

Thanks for all the responses. It's great to have a forum to discuss these things. :-88
... Also soft drink was fine ... as long as I followed it with water and didn't brush my teeth straight away.
That's an interesting comment. Soft drinks are OK as long as you DON'T brush right away? Why is that?
I've been wearing rubber bands for five months and apart from the initial 'getting used to them' period of about a week ... they're fantastic! I think when you take photos and can see the progress made, you quickly find any appliance is a marvellous piece of equipment!
That's good to hear. I'm supposed to get similar bands going from upper to lower to try and pull my lower jaw back a bit.

roadster1200xl

#3 Post by roadster1200xl »

Just a quick update: had my first adjustment today. All they did was put a stiffer top wire. Took about 10 minutes which was a lot less time in the chair than I spent driving and waiting in the front room. :(

May it always be so easy! :lol:

Patricia S.

#4 Post by Patricia S. »

Congrats! any pain from the first adjustment?

roadster1200xl

#5 Post by roadster1200xl »

Congrats! any pain from the first adjustment?
Yesterday there was a little pain from one or two teeth but fortunately they don't hurt today. The upper teeth are fairly straight already and the treatment so far is just to correct the under bite. When I get the lower arch I'm likely to have a bit more pain as the lower teeth will have to move a lot more.
They're the best kind ... short and sweet. I drive an hour to my ortho and I'm usually in and out in under 10 minutes ... then I go into the city, find a nice cafe and chill!
Sounds like a plan! My place is less than 10 minutes from work or home so I've got it good.

Tin Indian

#6 Post by Tin Indian »

:D Welcome Roadster. Glad you had a nice ajustment. Nice pics.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

roadster1200xl

#7 Post by roadster1200xl »

Hey gang, been a while since I posted but here's a little update. It's been five months and five updates. The underbite is being corrected - it's not easy to tell from the pictures but it is getting better. Plus, the floss goes between the teeth easy now. There's a big gap opened up on the right side but the doctor said that is temporary.

Next month - the bottom wire goes on! I'm looking forward to finally getting to the part that led me to braces in the first place. :D Then on to see how well it all works. If it DOESN'T go well he might have to pull a tooth or two on the bottom to make room.

Front:
Left:
Right: