Is 8 wks before first adjustment a normal length of time?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MsViola

Is 8 wks before first adjustment a normal length of time?

#1 Post by MsViola »

I have clear on top and damons on the bottom. My first adjustment was scheduled for 54 days after I was braced. Is this unusually long, or do adjustments become more frequent after you have had them for awhile?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

SimInsomniac

#2 Post by SimInsomniac »

Every adjustment I've been to have been about 2 months apart with Damons. I'm sure it's fine, you'll see plenty of progress in that time! :D

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

MsViola

#3 Post by MsViola »

SimInsomniac - Thanks! I think I am just in the obsession phase right now :?

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

HI

I will have my first adjustment in six weeks time.

I am really embarssed because of my braces :(
I was speaking with my collegue, hiding my braces. And he could hardly understand what I was saying. I have horrible lisp because of the retainer. And my lower braces are showing when I speak......

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

My first adjustment was at 8 weeks. My most recent adjustment (number 8 or 9, can't remember) will be at 8 weeks. In between they have ranged from 4-6 weeks.

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

There really isn't a specific adjustment time. Usually 4,6 or 8 weeks is the norm. My first was 4 weeks later only because my ortho wanted to keep a close eye on a problem tooth. Then it was 6 weeks . So far my adjustments have been every 6 weeks. I've heard of people getting adjustments 10-12 weeks later.

Gennel

Ravishing

#7 Post by Ravishing »

My first 2 adjustments were 8 weeks apart. I got powerchains and an elastic at my last adjustment and now he wants to see me in 5 weeks. I'm wondering if he wants to see me more frequently now that there is more stuff in my mouth.
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

ema27

TIME B4 NEXT ADJUSTMENT..

#8 Post by ema27 »

I got my braces on the 23 rd of jan my next appointment is in 7 weeks-i think thats about average.hoping that there is some difference by then!!!

florencegal

#9 Post by florencegal »

I've got traditional ceramics and was due to have adjustments every 6-8 weeks but I only had my first adjustment after 10 weeks because of Christmas, holidays and other committments. But I carried on seeing a LOT of movement right up to my adjustment, the archwire just carries on doing its thing! So don't worry, I'm sure it won't slow your treatment and no doubt your ortho knows exactly what (s)he is doing.

Good luck!

x

jennielee81

#10 Post by jennielee81 »

My first adjustment was 11 weeks after my bonding date.

The closer I got to the end, the closer the appointments got.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Brandyleigh35

#11 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Actually there is a specific time frame. Damons and all other "self ligating" brackets are advertised specifically for longer duration adjustments. typically 8 weeks between each one. They are supposed to move your teeth faster (according to the claims) and require less time going to the ortho to have adjustments done. While metal brackets can be adjusted anywhere form 4-6 weeks depending on your ortho's preference, and size of practice. Damons are supposed to be done every 8 weeks.

I have Time 2 Self Ligating brackets and have never had an adjustment sooner than 7 weeks, and most are 8. I knew this going into my braces and thought the longer duration in between adjustments would be great, I now find it to be an annoyance though, as 8 weeks feels like forever when you are waiting to see the ortho. On a positive note though Feb 3rd will be one year with my braces and I have seen huge changes. I should have them off within the 18 month time frame (even with my lower jaw surgery) which definitely beats a full 2 years in braces.

Hope this helps!

Brandy

MsViola

#12 Post by MsViola »

Thanks for the replies, they really help. I am already eager to know the progress I have made. I can already see a difference.

jennielee81

#13 Post by jennielee81 »

I can already see a difference.
That's FANTASTIC!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

jennandtonic

#14 Post by jennandtonic »

It depends on the ortho and type of braces, really.

I have a lot of adjustments compared to some people...usually every 3 to 4 weeks.

Brandyleigh35

#15 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I thought I said that these were "according to the claims" however, I can say that this was also the information my orthodontist gave me. He said that self ligating braces apply continuous, low intensity force, and that because of this it is not recommended to adjust them less than 8 weeks apart and that there is risk of root reabsorption, especially in older patients if adjustments are done too frequently or over a very short duration of time.