A Smashing Success - I'm Done!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dmourning

A Smashing Success - I'm Done!

#1 Post by Dmourning »

Hi all. I've been (mostly) lurking here for the last few years in the time leading up to, and during, my ortho treatment. This board is a great resource!

I thought I would share with you two before and after photos to summarize my successful treatment. Before you look at the photos just remember something - this treatment was achieved with NO extractions and NO surgery AT ALL. To anyone who may be considering orthodontic treatment but worried about surgery and/or extractions, just take a look at the severe crowding I had and realize that there probably are other options for you. Also, know that no matter how jacked up your teeth are, they CAN be fixed!

Also (patting myself on the back, here) I made it through my entire time in braces without popping a bracket off! That was a goal of mine.

Before (Roughly April of 2004):

After (February 15, 2007):

A couple of last notes. First, to put the entire treatment (and by treatment, I mean ortho, whitening, bonding and other dental work) into perspective, the most painful part of the whole ordeal was when I got ZOOM whitening a few weeks ago. The "zingers" hurt far, far worse than anything I experienced in braces.

Finally, it all became worth it yesterday. I was getting my photo taken for a piece of ID and was laughing and joking around with the lady taking the picture. When it was time to actually take the picture, she told me to smile. Instinctively, like I've always done, I didn't. Her reply? "Why don't you want to smile? You have a nice smile!" - This was the first time anyone has said this to me and meant it. It was a nice feeling and I'm still having a hard time getting used to the idea that, after 30 years, the roles are reversed and my teeth ARE actually nice and, possibly, the envy of others.

Thanks again for this board, it's been a great help for me while enduring treatment!
Braces on: February 22, 2005

Braces off: December 28, 2006

JoviFan

#2 Post by JoviFan »

Congrats - they look wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear you had no extractions, hoping for that myself !!!! :D :D :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Bluerain

#3 Post by Bluerain »

WOW ..NICE ..REALLY NICE !! You must be one happy camper!!

Thanks for taking the time to report back with pics :)

Keep smiling ..

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

bracey

#4 Post by bracey »

your teeth look amazing! and You had no extractions or surgery!!! did you have a palate expander??or any other appliance other than the fixed braces?

Nawners

#5 Post by Nawners »

Wow!! :shock:
Fantastic outcome...
I am sure you are very pleased! Congratulations! :-88
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

iitsmandaOx

#6 Post by iitsmandaOx »

Oh wow, you had an amazing outcome!!! really motivating! Good work!

alexa

#7 Post by alexa »

Nice teeth! Congrats! :D
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

shoshiaf

#8 Post by shoshiaf »

All I have to say is this: Wow!

Looking at your results, I would never know what your teeth looked like before. Your smile is simply fantastic!!

Epyx

#9 Post by Epyx »

Congrats Dmourning! That's an amazing transformation. That last bit you said is something I know I'll have trouble getting my head around. When I finish my treatment, I'll actually start getting compliments about my teeth at some point. That's going to be freaky after so many years of hating my teeth!

jennielee81

#10 Post by jennielee81 »

FANTASTIC!!!! You look amazing!

What you said at the end about not being "wrapped around" the fact that your teeth are really beautiful now....I know exactly what you mean.

I STILL find myself driving by an orthodontist's office and thinking I should call them and see what they could do...WAIT...OH YA, I have straight teeth now!

I also finding myself smiling close to someone and it dawns on me that my teeth are straight. I hope I never loose the awareness of that feeling!

Best wishes to you in all that you do with your beautiful teeth showing!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Joel-

#11 Post by Joel- »

awesome!! :!: :D

jimmy18

#12 Post by jimmy18 »

Congrats on the debanding. That was a lot of progress, and it looks great.

My ortho keeps saying I am getting close. Hopefully some month soon. :wink:

ssfw

#13 Post by ssfw »

Your teeth look great! Congratulations!!!

You sound so happy from your post. Thanks for sharing the before/after photos.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ngbraces

#14 Post by ngbraces »

You certainly should be on your ortho's ad. The result is incredibly amazing. Congratulations! :-)o :thumbsup: :jump:
Full Metal Mouth

LithpingLitha

#15 Post by LithpingLitha »

Congratulations on your successful treatment! :jump:
Your teeth look marvelous! :D
And thank you for the encouragement.
:frogbraces:
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story