2nd Adjustment at ~14 weeks.... w/pics :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JoviFan

2nd Adjustment at ~14 weeks.... w/pics :)

#1 Post by JoviFan »

Went to the ortho today for my 2nd adjustment - just a little over 3 months in treatment. well, apparently I'm a little ahead of schedule as of now (which I guess is good)

BUT it's 'decision time'....UG...... if I want my bite to be better I can either try and have 2 upper teeth removed so they can move the uppers back some....(only thing that could happen is they move back a little too much, making my upper lip 'flat', if that makes sense.. and they say that happens as you get older also, so it could be too much....

OR have lower (poss upper) jaw surgery :shock: - had no mention of this at consult......

OR do nothing, try elastics, and live with the results - although they think at most elastics will improve 20ish%.....at most.... so cr ap - I want to do this right, but........not really looking forward to jaw sx or tooth removal! LOL --- and the oral surgeon I wanted to atleast give me a consult, apparently doesn't get enough from the insurance companies and doesn't do 'ortho related surgeries' anymore so, that's where I am! LOL ---

She put white ligs on this time, I like the clear much better with my ceramic braces!!! next time I'll have to remember to ask....I go back in 4 weeks --- and will see the other ortho in the practice at that time for her opinion....meantime, I may try to see the oral surgeon or the periodontist (will prob get my upper gumline reshaped at some point during treatment since my teeth are so small, it will help show more of them atleast when I smile) .. decisions, decisions!
:shock:

ok - here are some pics:

wk 2:

wk 8:

wk 14:

Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

mhiemstra

#2 Post by mhiemstra »

We match!

I have the exact same issues as you do (or did) - my upper front teeth are way in the back, making the two next to them stick out like fangs. I have also been given the option of either jaw surgery or extractions, or I could chose to ignore both.

I'm leaning more to the 'get my teeth straight first' side of things personally, and as my braces are doing their work I can see that my bite is improving a lot with just the braces. Is it necessary for the treatment right at this point in time that you make a decision?

LuvBug26

#3 Post by LuvBug26 »

i'm in the same boat as you two mhiem....
my two front teeth were pushed back making the two next to them stick out lick fangs too....and not to mention they grew in crooked....my two options were the same...take teeth out or have surgery....i elected neither...i'm having metal anchors put in on the top arch and will be banded on my upcoming adjustment to pull the side teeth back and let the front two come forward. my ortho said that more than likely i wil be just fine but he will monitor my progress and if i need anything chaged up then he would let me know..so far i can tell a difference in my bite and my teeth movement in just the two weeks that i have been braced. i wouldn't jump into anything right away. i would wait and let the braces work for you a little while and then asses your situation again later.
hope whatever you decide to do works out great for you!! good luck!! :heart:

"To error is human, to forgive is divine."

acehigh

#4 Post by acehigh »

I'm almost 5 months into braces and have noticed some nice results. On my last adjustment, I was given elastics to correct a 6mm overjet, and slight overbite. Time will tell if I need two extractions from the top. I don't mind the idea of having teeth extracted, I will put up with any pain involved, even do half-smiles for the next who knows how many months...........my main concern is my face! :shock: If the top teeth move back, will my face look different? Flat lip? Wouldn't be so bad if the teeth moved both backwards from the front and forwards from the back. I think the profile would look about the same. I could use some pushing back, but not too much! He told me elastics for now, then he'll let me know. :?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]

JoviFan

#5 Post by JoviFan »

acehigh wrote:I'm almost 5 months into braces and have noticed some nice results. On my last adjustment, I was given elastics to correct a 6mm overjet, and slight overbite. Time will tell if I need two extractions from the top. I don't mind the idea of having teeth extracted, I will put up with any pain involved, even do half-smiles for the next who knows how many months...........my main concern is my face! :shock: If the top teeth move back, will my face look different? Flat lip? Wouldn't be so bad if the teeth moved both backwards from the front and forwards from the back. I think the profile would look about the same. I could use some pushing back, but not too much! He told me elastics for now, then he'll let me know. :?

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
yea, I'm afraid of the 'flat lip' look too, esp since the ortho & his assistant mentioned that could happen with the extractions! The more I think about it, the less I'm considering the jaw surgery --- my main goal going into this was to straighten my upper teeth....I'll have to ask the mm of my overbite, not sure......it has seemed to have gotten a little worse since having uppers put on...I guess cuz my arch is getting to where it's supposed to be...now I wonder if when they put on the lowers, if that will help even slightly get my bite back to where it atleast was.....

I will get the gum reshaping done, just not sure when to. The ortho seems to say whenever I want really....and the assist maybe said to do it sooner than later to see if I can 'live with the results' of no jaw sx or extractions....I really need to find a local perio - the one I went to was 'ok' but doesn't accept any insurance and the initial consult was a pain the the butt! LOL
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#6 Post by JoviFan »

Meryaten wrote:One thing to remember is that not all overjets are created equal ;)

What I mean by this is that just because one case might possibly be treated well by an implant acting as an anchor to pull everything back, this may not work well for another, which would perhaps respond really well to extractions, whereas for a third case, neither of these may be viable if a stable and aesthetic result is desired. It all depends what else is going on. Taking myself as an example - I was told categorically that mine was not an extraction case (it was never even an option that was put on the table) - I'd have had a very sunken look had I gone that route. But it is a perfectly good choice for some other cases.

ImageImage

(Disclaimer: I am not a dental professional nor do I play one on television)
Heyall - I haven't been here in a couple weeks.....and this board is agonizingly slow for me ???? not sure why...
anyway _meryatan - I'm afraid of that 'sunken' look also!!!! I got in 1 week for my 3rd adjustment and to talk to the other ortho in the practice to get her opinion....:) I just don't know what to do!!! I hate to spend all the money and not have a close to perfect smile!!!!

JoviFan

#7 Post by JoviFan »

ok - so tomorrow I have my 3rd adjustment and 'consult' with the other ortho in the practice....gettting excited/nervous! LOL will post what things are decided....

JoviFan

#8 Post by JoviFan »

Meryaten wrote:Here's to hoping it goes well for you! :-88
Thanks Meryaten - I'm hoping so too :)