Can a crowned and root canal'd tooth be moved???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

happyhappyjoyjoy

Can a crowned and root canal'd tooth be moved???

#1 Post by happyhappyjoyjoy »

I am so glad I found this board! Woo hoo!

I am contemplating braces at 33 ?$%^!, looking forward to it actually, I need them soooo bad. Anyway I've got one lower tooth thats got a crown and root canal that really tips in. Is that tooth going to be able to be moved???

Obviously I would like to save the tooth! But can orthos move a tooth with a crown and root canal?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to becoming a part of this great community! :D

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

I've got two crowned teeth with root canals and a handful of other teeth with just crowns. ALL of my janky teeth are being moved around. The ortho used a porcelain etch for the crowns and only one bracket (a molar) has given me problems by falling off and needed to be banded. I have an upper lateral and central incisor that are crowns with brackets on them. I have one rubberband attached to a bracket which is bonded to a crown and so far no big deal! Root canals and crowned teeth move just the same.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

Spanner

#3 Post by Spanner »

I don't have any crowns but I have one front tooth that has had root canal treatment and it's moved fine, no problems at all.

kaycee

#4 Post by kaycee »

I have the same as Miss Smiley - a porcelain crown and a root canal with a molar band and a rubberband attached. At one point I also had a coil spring attached to the crowned tooth. This tooth moved forward about 7 or 8mm to fill in an extraction gap without any problem.

kaycee

BrandonH

#5 Post by BrandonH »

Each of my 4 main molars have either been filled / crowned or root canaled / crowned. I have bands on each of them and have had no problems.