brace - day 1

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gemdoll

brace - day 1

#1 Post by gemdoll »

hiya folks,
loving reading your stories regarding your braces and also the tips - which i am seriously going to pay attention to!
i got bottom and top braces put on yesterday - i'm 29! the ortho has said i'll need them on for 2 years. my teeth feel so sore today, i have managed mash potato and also choccie biscuits dipped in tea!!
i have brackets put on my back teeth, apart from my right lower back (the proper words i dont know yet!) - which has a cap on and wouldnt fit.. damn it... so far so good.
my lips are sore as.. and neurofen is my best friend right now!
its all worth it though right??? i've waited 29 years for these babies, wouldnt do it as a teenager as i was too vain and worried about what others would think. i still am really, having bunked off work today to get a bit of courage behind me to go in tomorrow - most people know i'm doing it... but some dont!
i'll post some pics soon. basically i am missing two teeth in my front top... and still had a baby tooth, which had to be removed... one canine was at about a 45 degree angle... which needs pushing back in.

god i love the nhs for paying!
xx

victor36

welcome, gemdoll!

#2 Post by victor36 »

hello, gemdoll, and welcome to the ArchWired community!

here is some post-B-Day advise for you, passed on by a former moderator:

After Your B-Day:
  • Always drink plenty of water
  • Use lip balm as needed
  • Use wax as needed
  • Make good oral hygiene a priority
  • Rinse with warm salt water rinses at least once a day
  • Chew to increase blood flow in your gums
  • Remind yourself why you're doing this: to create a beautiful smile!
  • Take pictures regularly (like once a month or after every adjustment) to keep yourself (and your fellow ArchWired members) motivated
  • Stay positive!
It will all be worth it!!!
~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

estar

#3 Post by estar »

Welcome! I am 30 and finally braced. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

elpi

#4 Post by elpi »

Hello :D welcome to the forum. I've been braced 3 weeks now, the first couple of weeks weren't all fun but yes! it is definitely worth it (and especially if you've got the NHS paying for it!).

I know plenty people say to chew to help blood flow but don't worry if you can't at first, now I can chew therapeutically and it's just a mild soreness and feels good afterwards but at the very start if I tried tears would form :lol:

Make sure you keep hydrated in the warm weather and use wax liberally, also vaseline really helps if your lips are feeling a bit chafed. I put it on my lip *and* my braces sometimes.

gemdoll

#5 Post by gemdoll »

hi there, thanks for all your wise words fellow brace people out there...

i've survived a good 24 hours now, with only 4 nerofen and a great nights sleep, hadnt been sleeping so well with the whole build up to getting the tracks!

elpi, ive just read your story, wow, how long now have you had your braces on? i also had teeth removed, but am missing my 2 at the front anyway - 2 wisdom and a baby tooth that had hung around for 28 years taken out in the build up to getting braces!

i am looking at buying a waterpik - would you lot recommend them?? i'm not much of a flosser either, i guess i need to make this a priority now? ek!

also - has anyone lost weight? seems like a great diet to me!

i'll add some pics too, just seeing how i can do it!
xxx

elpi

#6 Post by elpi »

I hope you manage to get some pics up they're definitely an asset on the site though I probably go a bit overboard with mine :lol:

I've only been braced 22 days, I'm going to the orthos tomorrow to get my poking wires clipped and then in 3 weeks it's my first adjustment :P ]

I bought a waterpik but I've only used it once, kind of scared to whilst my extraction gaps are still healing, I mean they've pretty much healed but I like to err on the cautious side. Other people swear by them, I hope I get to like mine.

I have only been flossing my front teeth cos my ortho hasn't said anything to me about flossing, it's something I need to ask him about.

Hope you're getting on okay and you continue to get a good nights sleep. I remember I slept surpisingly well on that first day. I've had a few nights since where I've woken up dead thirsty, with my mouth all dry and my braces embedded in my cheek - but it's all part of the journey right? :D

kirjax

#7 Post by kirjax »

You said, "is it worth it!"

absolutely!!

Once you get over the initial hurdle. And you discover your teeth are moving you will have NO regrets!

Best of luck!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

gemdoll

#8 Post by gemdoll »

here is a pic i've just taken

jenny101101

#9 Post by jenny101101 »

Welcome gemdoll! Great brace pic. Glad to hear you're doing so well in your first few days of being braced :D .

As far as weight loss, I can't speak from personnal experience but I've seen a few stories here were ppl have lost weight...Good luck on your journey!
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

gemdoll

#10 Post by gemdoll »

so far so good.. i can feel tons of movement and have just received my waterpik today.... so cant wait to go home and have a proper clean between my teeth!!!

yay... happy weekend everyone!

xx

kaleeky

#11 Post by kaleeky »

Welcome, gemdoll!!

Congratulations on getting braced!!! :-)o

I got braced four days ago myself. My hygienist highly recommended the Waterpik, so I went out and bought the ultra. I love that thing!! It feels so nice using it to get my mouth super clean right after I eat. Since it's only been four days for me, I haven't eaten away from home yet, so I don't know how I'm going to live without it then.

It does take a little getting used to not letting water squirt all over the place; I still haven't been able to keep my bathroom walls dry. :D

Good luck with your journey!! I look forward to following your story.
Upper arch: May 22nd 2008
Lower arch: October 28, 2008

Luella

#12 Post by Luella »

Welcome to AW gemdoll! I'm a few days ahead of you being braced, and I'm still sore but it is rapidly improving!!! Congrats on taking the plunge, I look forward to following your story! :wink:
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

insinu8

#13 Post by insinu8 »

gemdoll, congratulations on getting braced :)

You will not regret getting the WaterPik. It's a lifesaver (and time saver). Ken is absolutely correct. It's the perfect way to flush out your leftovers before brushing :) You will be shocked how much food comes out! I still hose myself down from time to time ;) Oh, and don't turn the pressure setting up too much. It hurts if it's too high!

Don't forget your Advil/Motrin/etc. The first week after getting braced tends to be the worst for pain, but it won't last long.
Christopher

MY BRACES JOURNAL

gemdoll

#14 Post by gemdoll »

its offical, i am addicted to my waterpik!! how great are they? i dont know how i've lived without it for so long!!

one question... i am now 2 weeks braced.. and my pokey pits of my wire are digging into my cheeks.. is this normal? should i go back and ask for them to be trimmed as i am still 4 weeks away from my first adjustment!!

thankkkkkks guys! and happy braces!
xx

Luella

#15 Post by Luella »

gemdoll wrote:i am addicted to my waterpik!! how great are they? i dont know how i've lived without it for so long!!
Grrrr.... I guess I'd better go buy me a waterpik..... Everyone seems to love it....
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified