SARPE and wisdom teeth removal

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracketRacket

SARPE and wisdom teeth removal

#1 Post by BracketRacket »

When I went in to speak with the oral surgeon, he noticed that I still have my wisdom teeth on the top (have none on the bottom) and said that he could "pop" them out while I'm under for SARPE. He said that it'll be easy since I'm going to be under anyway, and that they could possibly get in the way of the surgery.

When I went in for the consult with my ortho, they said that my wisdom teeth shouldn't be a factor, that they had grown in a certain amount and then were "stopped" by my molars. My only question there is that if my molars move at all during the orthodontic process, wouldn't that then allow the wisdom teeth more room to move, or are they permanantly stopped where they are (of course I didn't ask that, it was my brillant thought afterwards!) In any case, they said that I didn't need the wisdom teeth removed. I'll admit, I don't know much about wisdom teeth -- just had never given them much thought. I know that they are under the gum, not sure whether that's impacted, or what.

The OS said he'd speak with the ortho about them, in any case.

Just a few questions -- any reason I should try to keep them around? Compelling reason to get rid of them? Will they impact recovery from SARPE? (I imagine the removal will add more swelling to the situation, plus the care of the sockets). If it makes any difference, I will also be having a bone-borne expander placed during the surgery. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with combining wisdom teeth removal with other procedures?

Here's an x-ray that includes them, if that helps. Sorry about the quality -- but I did find out the big flash was probably because I was wearing a necklace -- you'd think they would have told me about it! :D

Of course, if the surgeon thinks that they will be in the way during the surgery, I'll do what he wants, but just wanted to hear some other opinions. Thanks for any thoughts!

BracketRacket

#2 Post by BracketRacket »

I thought that combining wisdom tooth removal with another procedure was relatively common -- is it not?