New to the world of Metal Mouth.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wiredmouth

New to the world of Metal Mouth.

#1 Post by wiredmouth »

Greetings Everyone!! I started my orthodontic treatment on Feb. 6, 2011! here's my story!

The journey has started: 3 years of Orthodontic treatment
It's been almost a week but my journey with Orthodontic treatment has commenced! It's been 17 years in the making - yes - it's been that long since I've smiled with my teeth! Last Monday, February 6, the braces were put on. According to my Orthodontist, my braces are "the Damon system." The procedure of placing the braces on my teeth was relatively painless and quick - maybe 25 minutes. Here's how it all started:

January 6, 2011 - Initial consultation with my orthodontist. Because there was a cancellation, there was time for x-rays / photos / impression of my bite and a mold of my mouth. Total cost: 545.00.

January 31, 2011 (day after my 25th birthday!) - Patient Interview (PI). Here, my orthodontist's assistance educated me on the issues of my case: (1) I have a Malocclusion, namely a Class III Mesiocclusion (prognathism, negative overjet) where by bottom jaw is more prominent than my top jaw; I have a large mandible (lower jaw) and a short maxillary (upper jaw) bone. My bottom teeth protrudes beyond my upper teeth (a condition known as mandibular prognathism). For a mental image think Jay Leno - he is a classic case of mandibular prognathism. Combined with a mandibular prognathism, I also have a cross-bite. I was told that I was definitely a surgical case and would need to be referred to an oral maxillofacial surgeon. Luckily his office is located in the same building as my orthodontist. Anxious to get the process started I inquired as to how long it takes to be referred. Was told it could be two-three weeks. I told the assistant that I would drop by the surgeons office on the way to let them know that I would be a referral case. I was hoping to be referred the same day as I live 2 hours from the city where my treatment is taking place! To conclude the PI the assistant told me the costs of treatment: $6,500 , Canadian of course. The PI did not cost any monies. I left the meeting determined. I stopped into the oral surgeons office where I was given an appointment for the following Monday.

February 2, 2011 - called orthodontist office to request appointment for braces the following Monday if possible. I was told to hold. She called me back. She confirmed whether or not i decided on surgery without the consult with the surgeon and I said yes - as I'm willing to do whatever it takes to smile. Appointment for braces booked!

February 6, 2011 - 9:15 am appointment with the oral surgeon. It was a 30 minute consultation. He took measurements and discussed the X-rays taken by my orthodontist. He said that he will most likely move my upper jaw forward. However, he said that if needed he will move my bottom jaw back too in order to correct the bite. But he mostly thinks my bite can be fixed with one procedure, orthognathic surgery on my upper jaw. Luckily in my province we have free health care to some extent. The surgery will be covered almost entirely by my provincial health care. I will need to pay $1,200 for the surgery which will require a stay in hospital for 3 days. The consultation ended, and I'm quite fond of the surgeon. He's hot, and very articulate. Cost of the consultation: $298.00.

February 6, 2011- 2:15pm appointment with my orthodontist. She wasn't there. One of the assistants put the braces on which took 25 minutes. I only have the braces on the top teeth so far.Then there was a period of time discussing the do and don't in terms of food and cleaning. Having the braces on felt different. I have 2 wire coils on my top teeth, left and right side to create space.

For pictures of my initial first week see my google blog. here's the link:

drgnchsr36

Re: New to the world of Metal Mouth.

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

That's interesting that the ortho didn't place the brackets.

The assistant put my brackets on, but then the ortho placed/moved them to where they should be...

p.s. I didn't see the link to your blog?

wiredmouth

#3 Post by wiredmouth »

Hey! My link must have been removed since I'm only a relatively new user here. And apparently new uses cannot post urls until they make more than 3 posts! Weird!

here goes:

I had to put spaces because the site won't let me paste the blog link. Grrrrrr.

Hope you like the blog! I'm new to the blogging world so I'm still working on it!

S

Ellebraced

#4 Post by Ellebraced »

Welcome Wiredmouth!!

Good luck with your journey!! Looking forward to watching your progress.

What province are you from? I'm in BC and surgery would have costed at least $3000 so I decided not to do it.

My ortho put my brackets on but the ortho girls did all the molar bands and all the other work including the first couple adjustments.

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

lilone

#5 Post by lilone »

I'm in Ontario and was told the surgery would be fully covered. I opted out anyway, though.

tashay1985

#6 Post by tashay1985 »

How exciting! good luck with the braces and surgery, hope all goes well, keep us updated! I'll be looking forward to reading your story :D

I also have a blog, feel free to check it out! :mrgreen:

wiredmouth

#7 Post by wiredmouth »

tashay1985 wrote:How exciting! good luck with the braces and surgery, hope all goes well, keep us updated! I'll be looking forward to reading your story :D

I also have a blog, feel free to check it out! :mrgreen:

@yashay1985 FOLLOWED! lovely blog! I'm new to blogging so I appreciate all the different styles.

I live in the martitimes!

wiredmouth

#8 Post by wiredmouth »

Ellebraced wrote:Welcome Wiredmouth!!

Good luck with your journey!! Looking forward to watching your progress.

What province are you from? I'm in BC and surgery would have costed at least $3000 so I decided not to do it.

My ortho put my brackets on but the ortho girls did all the molar bands and all the other work including the first couple adjustments.

Elle

Thank you elle! I just read your story! i'm delighted to hear that you are taking solace in archwired forums! it's wonderful that such sites exsit, eh? I'm also loving the support and stories I've so had a chance to read. I'm from the Maritimes! East coaster! We have a lot of snow right now - how's the weather in BC!? Mild?

Yurs in smiles,

S

wiredmouth

#9 Post by wiredmouth »

drgnchsr36 wrote:That's interesting that the ortho didn't place the brackets.

The assistant put my brackets on, but then the ortho placed/moved them to where they should be...

p.s. I didn't see the link to your blog?
The link seems to have been removed again. However, i'm not sure why. i'll post again:

http://letstalkaboutteeth.blogspot.com/