Photos of results - Bimax & Jaw Angles - Dr Mommaerts

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crr7

Photos of results - Bimax & Jaw Angles - Dr Mommaerts

#1 Post by crr7 »

Hi peeps,

Here are my before and after pics as promised. I am 6 weeks post-op from surgery performed by Maurice Mommaerts in Belgium. I wanted to wait until most of the swelling had gone down before I posted my pics so sorry for the delay.

Click on the link:
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g387/maxfac/
username = maxfac
password = maxfac7

Procedures:
• Bimaxillary osteotomy surgery (Mandible 8/9mm advancement and Maxilla 4/5mm advancement)
• Jaw angle augmentation with Hydroxyappatite
• Fat removal from lower cheeks to accentuate jaw angles.

Although I can see an improvement, I personally think that my chin still recedes as it is behind my glabella in side view. And it seems to recede more on the right side than the left which shows in the photos. I will need a genioplasty but I’m not sure if genioplasty alone will be enough to bring the chin in line with the glabella. Professor Mommaerts said he didn’t think I would need a genioplasty but, because the bimax can affect the chin, to wait and see the results of bimax before we decide. For very big movements he said he sometimes leaves genio to a later date as too much in one go can cause muscles to relapse and more risk. But I knew all along I would need the chin extended in addition to the mandible as Miss J pointed that out in the analysis she did for me so she was spot on.

I think my jaw angles are an improvement but I would still like more angularity and they are very slightly uneven. I can’t really see a difference where the fat was removed but Prof said fat removal takes 2/3 months to show. So when it shows hopefully this will make me look more angular.

What I do find hard to see is the movement in the upper jaw. Prof said this would improve my naso-labial angle and make it less obtuse but as yet I can’t see any difference here.

I only really have one complication which is complete numbness on the left side of my tongue. Prof said this is very rare and unexpected and will take a long time to regain feeling but it will eventually come back. I certainly hope it does! It’s annoying as I keep biting my tongue but I’m getting used to it. Aside from that I just have numbness in my upper gums which I’m still waiting to clear up.

Anyway, I'd like to thank all the people on this forum who gave me advice and support through my healing period.

qwertz1

Re: Photos of results - Bimax & Jaw Angles - Dr Mommaerts

#2 Post by qwertz1 »

do you have an idea what the fat removal technique to accentuate the jaw angle is called?
good luck with your tongue
thanks

deepbeep

#3 Post by deepbeep »

After a few minutes, I did notice your lower jaw was moved a little.
Still, not enough to fix receded jaw. But improvement is an improvement.

coffeecupcakes

#4 Post by coffeecupcakes »

(Was it buccal fat removal?)

I think you look good already but a sliding genio might be a good addition :) You're probably still a little swollen as upper jaw surgeries take a little longer to go down completely. I can definitely see more 'angularity'.

crr7

#5 Post by crr7 »

Thanks guys, I certainly do hope a genioplasty will be enough to get the chin into the right position now.

I think it is buccal fat removal, it is kind of complimentary to the jaw angle augmentation.

Bomb

#6 Post by Bomb »

How is the numbness on your tongue? I had surgery June 2012 and am 13 weeks post op and have a numb tongue as well. I do not bite it but it leaves a constant distaste in my mouth 24x7. Has your healed?

junkfood1991

#7 Post by junkfood1991 »

I don't know why you even needed surgery. u look like tom cruise already. I can definitely see the results of fat being removed from you chin, but other than that i cant really see a difference in the position of your maxilla and mandible after surgery.

Bomb

#8 Post by Bomb »

crr,

I am 14 weeks post op and I have numbenss on the right side of my tongue. My surgeon aid this was very rare and never warend me in advance. I was aware of the risk of permanent numbness in chin and lip but not tongue. He said the nerve was stretched wehn they retracted my tongue for the surgery. The numbness does not really bother me. I do not bite my tongue. But the feeling like my tongue is burnt (as if the day after drinking extremely hot chocolate) is what is bothersome. Do you have the same sensation? The good news is that there is no numbness on the top of bottom of my tongue. If there was, the surgeon was concerned that it would impact my speech. the otehr goods news is the area is less but by only a small degree and the more time that passes the more risk of permanent. Good luck and best wishes. Let me know how your goes.