Confessions from a 30 month old brace face

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

asianflow

Confessions from a 30 month old brace face

#1 Post by asianflow »

Well I'm not 30 months old but I've been in braces for 30 months now.

I'll have to say the time has really gone by quickly. I still remember asking questions on the old boards in late 2002 and 2003 to the brace veterans. Now I would consider myself a veteran.

Here are some of my thoughts:

- My time in braces was suppose to be around 24-30 months. My Ortho hasn't said anything about me being finished so it's obvious I will go over the estimated treatment time. I already have an appointment booked in November and December. I'll have to admit, I'm disappointed it has been so long. But there were a few speed bumps along the way and some of it was my fault. There were times I had my elastics on for too long and too short. Just about 3 months ago I found out I had been wearing an elastic on the wrong side of my mouth. The Assistant was at fault here but I didn't want to create a scene so I didn't tell the Ortho it was her fault and not mine (The Ortho didn't blame me though).

- Unlike others I don't enjoy being in braces. If you gave me the choice right now to have perfect teeth or being in braces, I'll glady take the first option. I hate getting food stuck in my teeth and having to clean them. It becomes a hassle when you go out to eat in public. The other pain is getting canker sores. I still remember when I got my upper braces and the inside of my cheek was cut up. It got so bad I thought about calling my doctor.

- The one thing I've realized is that the teeth models you see in the office are often misleading. I'm glad I went into this whole process not expecting 100% straight teeth because my result won't be a 100% perfect. For the rest of my treatment, my Ortho said he's just mostly going to be working on my overbite. When I look at my teeth now they still look a little bit "bucky" on my 2 top front teeth.

Here's a pic I took from an angle:

My Ortho explained how he could shave off a bit of my teeth on the surface to give the top row a more straight appearance. I'm undecided if I want this done. I want to see how my teeth look without braces first.

- Despite all the negatives, I'm really glad I decided to get braces. You wouldn't believe how bad my teeth were. I actually thought they were so bad that braces might not able to correct the problems. When I get my braces off I plan on bringing my digi cam to the office just so I can take pics of what my teeth looked like before I had my braces put on. I looked at those pics about 2 months ago and it almost gave me a nightmare:)

- Once the braces come off, there's still work to be done. One of my top teeth is chipped and I'll go to the dentist to explore my options. I believe I could get it filled in. And of course my teeth have to be cleaned by the dentist.

- Isn't it amazing what we all go through just to get straighter teeth?

Dreamer

#2 Post by Dreamer »

I think your teeth look really nice Asianflow! If I could end up with what you consider to be an overbite I will be the happiest person! Please let us know what you decide about if you have the top two teeth shaved a bit or not because I have a feeling I will be in that same boat someday as I think my two front teeth will appear longer than the rest and perhaps if they are a bit shorter they will look better. I have 2 years to go though before I get to where you are now! You look great!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

fearthetenor

#3 Post by fearthetenor »

I'm in a situation similar to yours, except your teeth are much straighter than mine! Your orthodontist could, most likely, shave off a little bit of the two central incisors to make them more even with the lateral incisors.

Best of luck!
top braces: Jan 30, 2004
bottom braces: Apr 23, 2004
metal top & bottom

originally sentenced to 24 months
sentence extended to 36 months (minimum)!!!
tmj splint= 6 additional months (they're keeping the braces on)