arch to wide now?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gable74

arch to wide now?

#1 Post by Gable74 »

Question for the Doc (or whoever wants to chime in). I was suprisingly told by the Ortho on my last visit, that upon my next vist, we will be taking x-rays to see if extractions are going to be needed. This was a shock because since the consult, he was very adamant about the fact that extractions were definately going to happen. So i guess my question is, Have you ever been in the situation where you were sure extractions would be needed and then found out later in the patients treatment, they were not needed? I had medium to heavy crowding according to the ortho, and we were going to pull 2 upper pre-molars, and 2 lower pre-molars. I have finally got my arches lined up and in need of some minor leveling and shaving. Not having the extractions would surely decrease my time wearing these things. Here are some recent photo's....does my arch seem to wide now? It feels fine, but im still just happy about everything being straight for the first time i can remember in a long time.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/g ... e254aa.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/g ... 3fd9d9.jpg

weird_wired

#2 Post by weird_wired »

Just chiming in to say your teeth look fab to me! They all seem to fit into a perfect line, so it suprises me that extractions still may be needed. Aren't they usually done at the start of treatment?

Anyway maybe they have to check root stuff that is invisible to us non-orthos.

Anyway your pics really inspire me, because my two front lowers need to move forward, and I've been really doubting they can because they seem blocked by the two either side. But looking at your Weeks 7-10 pics, it seems that they can just find a way!

Bluerain

#3 Post by Bluerain »

Geez..I don't see why extractions would be needed now.

I would seriously question your ortho on this. Maybe he thinks they might shift again but if you wear your retainer when you suppose to I don't see why extractions are needed.

You have beautiful teeth and a wide arch is sexy if you ask me. That's what I want if possible. There are 3 types of arch wire..narrow ..regualr and wide and will discuss this with my ortho when entire arch is wired as we are still retracting (Pulling) teeth back to make room for the anterior teeth with implants as anchors where wisdom use to be.

Your bottom teeth is almost the same as mind ..did they shave your bottom teeth at all?

Also your top teeth is alot like mine also..I have a lateral that needs to be brought forward like yours but I have no space between Central and canine so a little more work for me. I also have some rotation on my upper canines that need to be corrected,

Your teeth move pretty fast and so do mine which is great. You look great!!

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

Bluerain

#4 Post by Bluerain »

Another thing..if he insist and is correct that you need extractions I would ask him if extracting the wisdom would help instead of extracting any pre-molars or whatever he intends to extract.

I'm sorry but you have a beautiful arch and teeth now and I just can't see extracting any pre-molars .I would give up my pinkies to have your arch!!!

This is why I went with no the no extractions route .I have a strong jaw line (It's actually very nice and have been told so over the years) and a wide arch would look fab on me! I also have a nice profile and don't want it to change .If it's going to change I rather have a wide arch to go with my strong jaw line.

You know some docs have a preference of which arch they think looks the best..that's fine and dandy but it's your mouth and if it's just that he thinks a regular or narrow arch would look nicer I say no to extractions.

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

Gable74

#5 Post by Gable74 »

Thanks for the kind words. No, I have not had any shaving or other work done yet. Everything just seemed to line up pretty well without the extractions, so i was just second guessing my ortho's first analysis on whether i need to go through with it or not. He has done such a great job so far, maybe i shouldn't second guess him. That one top tooth swung in quickly, but it wasnt without some sweet suffering, i can tell you that! I suppose every ortho works in his or her own way, so i never really questioned why he prefered to wait to do extractions rather than in the beginning. I think now im glad he waited, but we will see at my next appointment.

Gable74

#6 Post by Gable74 »

Thanks Blue. We must have been typing at the same time. I am with you on this, believe me, I dont want the extractions if they are not needed. I had my wisdom teeth pulled a few years back, so unfortunately, thats not an option. I would have no problem wearing my retainers more if i could keep all my teeth the way they are now.
Last edited by Gable74 on Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluerain

#7 Post by Bluerain »

Can you post a head on shot please?

I would love to see a shot of that angle looking straight at you as oppose to the ones you posted.

It will give me a idea of what I can expect.

Thanks!

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

Gable74

#8 Post by Gable74 »

Pay no attention to the "scruffy" me, i usually take these in the morning before i get cleaned up. I never thought i would be posting these pics on the net when i started taking them. Anyway, you can see that everything is lining up, I still need a little bit of shaving on the middle teeth to level them out. I guess because ihave chewed on them crooked for a while, they have worn crooked also.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/g ... b56824.jpg

weird_wired

#9 Post by weird_wired »

You know Gable it's hard to tell without seeing the rest of your face, but your teeth certainly look so much "younger" now! I wonder if you and others of us will end up looking a little more youthful when our treatment is finished?

It's a bonus effect I hadn't considered before seeing your pics. Whitening certainly makes people look fresher and healthier, so maybe straighter teeth will knock a couple of years off the clock too ;)

Gable74

#10 Post by Gable74 »

weird_wired wrote:You know Gable it's hard to tell without seeing the rest of your face, but your teeth certainly look so much "younger" now! I wonder if you and others of us will end up looking a little more youthful when our treatment is finished?
Not really sure i want to post a pic of my whole face...LOL. Im not a beast or anything, just always worried about some crazy freak using it somehow or I end up in one of "Jenns91civic" avatars.....LMAO. It makes me feel a little younger i suppose, im only 30 but every little bit helps i guess. I can tell you that it has definately improved my confidence a lot in the past few months.

leah

arch

#11 Post by leah »

Gable, Is you bottom arch quite a bit smaller than your top. If that does happen to be the case that might be the reason for the talk of extractions.

Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

Gable74

#12 Post by Gable74 »

not really, the ortho said i had a pretty good bite pattern from the onset of things at least from the bi-cuspids back. Plus, he was talking about extractions on top AND bottom, 4 total. That would basically keep the same size offset just smaller. All this is making me very eager to talk with him again about this, i hope the x-rays show i wont need them. Unfortunately, i have a month to wait until i can talk with him again.

jenns91civic

#13 Post by jenns91civic »

LMAO gable, the charlie and the chocolate factory one or this one? Your teeth are looking great by the way. Extractions could still be needed for your bite, but hopefully not because your teeth look great the way they are.

Jenn
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

weird_wired

#14 Post by weird_wired »

Gable74 wrote:Not really sure i want to post a pic of my whole face...LOL. Im not a beast or anything, just always worried about some crazy freak using it somehow or I end up in one of "Jenns91civic" avatars.....LMAO.
Oh no I wasn't asking you to post! I am mega on online privacy, I've seen so many people destroy their reputation and professionalism by stupidly blogging details of their private lives, providing too many personal identifiers, etc. Not that a pic of you would do that of course, but it pays to be safe online. The teeth is all we really need ;)

Gable74

#15 Post by Gable74 »

what do you think Dr. J? Your opinion would be appreciated.