Mother and Son in braces

If your child is in any stage of orthodontic treatment, this is a place to connect with other parents in your situation. Please note: this is a forum for adults only -- kids may not post here!

Moderator: bbsadmin

braceface31

Mother and Son in braces

#1 Post by braceface31 »

:D I am 32 years old and my son is 8 years old. We both have braces. I was braced in Feb 2005 and he was braced July 2005. Is there any parents out there that share the same situation?

We are going to have our pictures taken together in a couple of months. I think its sort-of cool.

I hope that me having braces also will make it easier for him to take care of his. I have even had a contest to see who can brush thier teeth better than the other.

Wingnut

#2 Post by Wingnut »

braceface31,

My son and I got braces together too. I'm 39 and he's 13 and we're having fun with it. It's fun to have someone to go to appointments with and see how our treatment plans vary.

My husband had originally suggested we take him and his sister (who's 11) to the orthodonist for consults and I figured, if we can afford two people in braces, one is going to be me! We both got braced on February 9th this year and now my daughter will start in January so there will be three of us. By the time my youngest is ready (age eight), I hope I have these things off though!

edited to correct typing the number eight and getting a smiley face!
Last edited by Wingnut on Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaytb

Not a Mum but.....

#3 Post by Jaytb »

I am 28 and have had braces for 4 years now, I think I have found it a lot harder than most kids, have a niece of 10 who has braces and seems to deal with it much better than me, not so bad now but would like to hear how you mums fair up against your kids, I think I am a big wimp, but would like to think adults have it wose than kids!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

This is so cool! I wonder how many other readers here also have children in braces as well?

The month that I got my braces off, my daughter (then age eight) had her expander put on (she wore it for 4 months).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

My 13 1/2 year old son and I both go in on February 13th to get our braces on (I'm 41). I too think its kind of cool that we are going to be going through it together. I think it makes it easier when you can relate to what their going through. My procedure is a bit more involved than his as I will be having a SARPE, Two Teeth extracted, and eventual lower Jaw surgery when its all done. Overall though, I think he is glad that he won't be the only one in braces.

We do family pics each Xmas and I told him this year we will both have "tinsel teeth" for the holidays! :lol: :lol:

Brandy

EDWARD

Parent of kids in Braces

#6 Post by EDWARD »

Hi every one,
My Daughter and I got Braces with in a few weeks of one another. I 'll be 42 in May, and shell be 10. I t has not been that bad eccept the Headgear that i 'am stuck wearing. My Daughter got of easy so far. She only has a couple of rubberbands. Well 2 more yrs to go.
Thanks

Brandyleigh35

#7 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Hey Edward!
That is cool that you two both have them on. Do you think it helps to have someone else going through it with you??? MMmmm....Headgear that stinks! I should talk though, my son will probably have less than 6 months in braces now that he has had all of his appliances for over a year now. I however, have to go in for a surgically assisted palate expansion next month, wear an expansion appliance for 4-6 months, then the following year I have jaw surgery!

I think there is something to be said for getting it all done when you are young, they definitely seem to get the better end of the deal!

Brandy

snowbunny

#8 Post by snowbunny »

Hi. I'm 42 and will be braced next Friday 10th feb. My son is 15 and will be braced in April. He has to have a baby tooth pulled first! It will help me having my son going through it too. We're both be able to whine to each other!

KJM

#9 Post by KJM »

Hi everyone! I am 35 and my son is 9. He is getting an RPE on March 16 and partial braces. (just had spacers put in yesterday)
My daughter ( almost 14) is just waiting for the insurance to get straight (ortho was just added to our insurance :dance: ) and she is going for her consult in the next couple months.
My oldest son is 17 and he has had his braces off for 2 years. I can really feel for him now. There were times I thought he was being a "baby" but now I can totally understand ( and I give him a heartfelt apology!)
Its nice to know what they are going through- and helps that I can say I went through this, or that and it was OK or this will hurt so we need some Advil.
I do wonder what people will think when they see all of us in braces! :shock:
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

erik

#10 Post by erik »

I and two of my kids are in braces.

My son was first, a year ago, he is 14. He was a challenge, had a palette expander for six months and headgear.

My daughter was next, two months ago, she is 13. She has some interesting spring devices to make room for a tooth that is pushed back and had one extraction.

I just had mine put in today, and I am 40! I chose clear brackets (up front) and have what is referred to as "limited" braces. Basically the front six teeth are braced (top and bottom) with brackets on molars (no bands). I am only supposed to need about nine months to correct the crowding.

My third child is only three, so nothing happening there for now. That is a good thing though, it is expensive having three of us in braces!

My wife and I joked around about having a picture of the three brace faces. I think it would be fun, but you know how teenagers are... Next thing you know, we will be coordinating ligature colors!

Erik

sjsarre

#11 Post by sjsarre »

I've had my brace since April and my son will be starting his treatment plan in early January

Buttoneyz

#12 Post by Buttoneyz »

I'm 40 and my son is 10. I've wanted them for 30 years, was finally ready to do it we found out he needed them. So we decided to bit the bullet and just do it! He got his bottoms wired and pallet expander and I got fully braced on Oct 9, 2006. We both have about 2 - 2.5 years to go. So far, he has been much braver than I!

i814u2c

#13 Post by i814u2c »

Both my son and myself have braces. He is 12 and got his in August and I have had mine for 2 years. I also have a 13 year old daughter who will get them as soon as her baby teeth finish falling out (or are Pulled).
:tingrin:
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

acd

#14 Post by acd »

Does father and son count? My 14 year old son has had them since March and I got mine last week. He has actually been very encouraging and told me that they were definately worth it.

David

#15 Post by David »

I'm kinda like Alfred E. Neuman from Mad Magazine, "What, Me Worry?"
When I saw that comment, Ken, I just had to post this...

Ever wonder what happened to that kid from Mad Magazine?