Linguals - Glad I found this site

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

RobS

Linguals - Glad I found this site

#1 Post by RobS »

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone because I'm on day 3 of having upper and lower linguals and I was close to "get these things out of my mouth!!!" until I read some of the posts hear. I'm glad to hear the tongue pain will go away with time (mine is shredded) and that the speech will improve.

Thanks to all for previous posts. I'm now confident I can make it through this.

Cheers!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi RobS and welcome.

I recall day 3 being a baddie as everything that came into contact with my tongue - including food - seemed to irritate it.

Warm salt water rinses help. Also, stay hydrated and use wax if you have to.

As for the speech thing, keep talking and it will improve.

mun

#3 Post by mun »

congratulations RobS! We humans get used to everything eventually i guess. even the metals in our mouths!

my experience has been a little different though. it's been almost 3 weeks since i got my upper linguals, first two weeks was just great. the teeth pain was never big to begin with and it all went away in a couple of days and my tongue seemed to be doing fine. well, i was considering myself lucky until 2 days ago. i guess it took 2 and a half weeks for my tongue to realize that i got braces. it got really bad but today it feels better.

so my guess is, it has to happen somehow; either during the first 3 days, or sometime in the first 3 weeks :)

RobS

#4 Post by RobS »

Thanks again for the encouragement! I have two giant "blisters" on each side of my tongue. I'm sure they'll start to heal soon.

I have almost no tooth pain but it's probably too early for that.

My biggest problem is that they put on "bitepads" to stop my teeth from banging into my brackets. I didn't realize how far apart they keep my teeth....soo....I can't chew ANYTHING. I can't get my teeth together in any way. I'm on an all liquid diet right now. I've got a call into the ortho but can't get back in there until later this week. Oh well, I could afford to shake off a few pounds anyway.

Cheers to all - we must be crazy :)

BlahBlah

#5 Post by BlahBlah »

Welcome to the family Rob... :lol:
Aye Lionfish.. when's your next appointment? I'm there this Friday 8)

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

BlahBlah wrote: Aye Lionfish.. when's your next appointment? I'm there this Friday 8)
Back in on 2 April, although I was in Chatswood this morning (my dentist works there too).

BlahBlah

#7 Post by BlahBlah »

Ahhh ok.. I work in Chatswood so i'm here everyday lol

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

BlahBlah wrote:Ahhh ok.. I work in Chatswood so i'm here everyday lol
Great for emergencies - ha ha!! Not that we want to encourage that. :D