Ceramic or lingual lowers - which is better?

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bradyfan

Ceramic or lingual lowers - which is better?

#1 Post by bradyfan »

I am scheduled to get both upper and lower linguals next week. It seems that a lot of you opted to go with lower ceramics and upper linguals. I wonder if that's a better option? Do you think it might help to alleviate some of the tongue pain and discomfort if the linguals are only on one arch? I'd love to hear from people about which option they chose and if they are happy with their choice. I want to make sure I go with the most comfortable option before it's too late!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I went with lower ceramics (8 in the front only, the rest are metal) and am quite happy with my choice. I did find them rather bulky at first, but I'm used to the feel of them now.

It's hard to know if I'd have had more tongue pain with lower linguals; hopefully others who've got both will answer this for you.

As for cost, going with ceramics/metal worked out at around A$3,000 less than if I'd gone fully lingual.

BlahBlah

#3 Post by BlahBlah »

yep about that, i decided to go with lower linguals. Lower linguals werent painful at all for me, the uppers were a struggle...
Hey Lionfish, u got ur braces off yet??? Do u have a date???

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Hey Lionfish, u got ur braces off yet??? Do u have a date???
"No" to both questions. But when I do, it will be broadcast loud and clear here!!

bradyfan

#5 Post by bradyfan »

Thanks BlahBlah and Lionfish! I've already ordered and paid for the upper and lower linguals so I might as well go through with it. I'm a little nervous because I'm getting them both bonded on the same day (at least I haven't been told otherwise). I'm sure the first couple of weeks will be tough and then hopefully smooth sailing. Three days to go!

amber

#6 Post by amber »

The big advantage of having upper and lower linguals is that you can wear elastics (if you need them) on the inside and no one will see them. With labial lowers they need to bond a small bracket to the outside of your upper teeth and elastics are. worn on the outside and very visible. Having had lower ceramics before (with invisaline uppers), my experience is that the lower linguals are far more comfortable than the lower ceramics.

Good luck bradyfan - I think you made a great choice.

BlahBlah

#7 Post by BlahBlah »

And have a biiiiig mealll b4hand.. cos ul be on liquid foods for 10 days or so.. ha.. have fun :lol: