Is it common for an orthodontist not to take models

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gilda

Is it common for an orthodontist not to take models

#1 Post by Gilda »

How common is it for an orthodontist not to take models before start treatment? I had Ibraces.
My orthodontist doesn't take any models of any of his patients.
Have you heard about this anywhere else? Models are not really important?

LB

#2 Post by LB »

Do you mean he didn't take molds of your teeth or that you don't have a model of your teeth as they are predicted to be during and after treatment? I have Incognito braces (which I think are the UK name for iBraces). I had molds taken (I think these are essential for the company to develop your braces) and also I have seen models of my teeth as they are predicted to be at various stages of my treatment. I'm under the impression this is normal for these braces, but I only have my own orthodontist or treatment to base that assumption on.

Gilda

#3 Post by Gilda »

My treatment is finished and it was a failure. I asked the ortho for my dental records. He sent them to me but not the model. I then requested the model. He doesn't have the model to give to me because he doesn't take model of any of his patient. That got me confused as I clearly remember having the a model taken. I then looked at my dental chart and it says there that " took impressions of teeth. January 6, 2007.
I guess this is a type of impressions that he takes and then throws away. That was the only impression taken during the whole treatment. Does impressions and model means the same thing?

LB

#4 Post by LB »

OK, the impressions my orthodontist took were sent to the company who make the Incognito braces - they need this in order to develop the braces specifically for your teeth. So I don't think my orthodontist would still have the impressions, but he does have models which were created from the impressions. So he has a model of my teeth as they were originally, a model of my teeth as they should be once they are completed and I think he has a couple which show my teeth as they should be at certain points during my treatment. Hope this helps.

Gilda

#5 Post by Gilda »

Thanks for your response.
You seems to be in good hands with your ortho.
Mine was so lost in the treatment that after eight months with Ibraces he removed them and put traditional braces on....and no impressions were taken for the traditional braces.

LB

#6 Post by LB »

Really sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I hope that you're able to get the problem sorted.