Terrified of Linguals but Vain

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

meep

Terrified of Linguals but Vain

#1 Post by meep »

So, I'm in my mid-20s, and I've wanted braces forever; I'm embarassed every time I smile. I've become really self-conscious about it even though they're not THAT bad. So I've finally sucked up my fear, found some money, and went to a dentist. As it turns out, it's gonna be way more complicated that I thought. I'm going to an orthodontist tomorrow. I'm terrified of pain and I'm horribly vain- a bad combination. Vanity's the only reason I'm even doing this. I'm afraid now that Invisaligns won't be enough (and those had always been my plan- the only way I could face it), so I think I'll have to try for Linguals.
Anyways, here's my problem: I care so much about how I look but I'm terrified of pain. I have the lowest tolerance. I don't care about the pain of extractions or teeth moving (I think that will be sickly satisfying), but the idea of metal catching on my tongue and cutting...it makes me nauseous. But I don't think I can face a year plus with regular braces. Please reassure me that it's not that bad or that Invisalign's can work with extractions. Is there anyway to use regular braces just until the teeth are close enough for invisaligns? I wish I didn't care so much what it looked like, but I just know I will be miserable. Thanks for your help.

diehard

#2 Post by diehard »

i cant say without pictures of your teeth if invisalign will work for you but i have an overbite and crowding, my intention was to get lingual but there are few places that do it North of uk but lucky for me there was an orth only 10 miles from where i live and they do invisalign, beleive me it was one of the hardest things i have ever done walking through the door and have pictures taken ect. Anyway what im saying my case i would think is quite bad i needed 4 extractions (none of that shaving teeth crap) and i have 46 trays on top and 36 on bottom so chances are invisalign could be an option. you won`t know until you ask good luck :lol:

avf

ibraces

#3 Post by avf »

go to www.lingualcare.com

If you have a doctor nearby, I would highly recommend these. I've been wearing them for almost 9 months, have seen tremendous progress, no one even knows I have them, even after 9 months, and they seriously only took me about a week to get used to them! They are excellent.

TX26

Re: ibraces

#4 Post by TX26 »

avf wrote:go to www.lingualcare.com

If you have a doctor nearby, I would highly recommend these. I've been wearing them for almost 9 months, have seen tremendous progress, no one even knows I have them, even after 9 months, and they seriously only took me about a week to get used to them! They are excellent.
Me too! I have the lingualcare braces. I think they re-named them ibraces since the web address is the same now. If you google lingualcare it comes up ibraces?

See this post viewtopic.php?t=8712

Yes, they look scary, but they are comfortable. You just have to let yourself get used to them. :D
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

meep

Re:

#5 Post by meep »

Thank you for the reassurance. I went to the orthodontist who was recommended by my dentist, and it was really not good. He acted kind of disgusted that I was 24 and hadn't fixed my teeth yet, AND he refused to discuss linguals with me. He said "oh those cost too much and will take at least a year longer"- end of conversation. Do they really take that much longer? He said my only choice was ceramics. Honestly, they aren't THAT bad. There's just one tooth that's really out of place! Everything else just needs some tweaking, and my bite is fine. So I made an appt with an orthodontist off the iBraces website, and hopefully he will help.
I've become obsessed with my teeth, and even though I know it would be worth it to go ahead with regular braces, the whole point of this is to fix my self-esteem and be comfortable smiling again. I don't think I've got it in me for two years of regular braces. But at least I'm not worried about the pain anymore...I can handle a week of being uncomfortable.
Thanks again.

TX26

#6 Post by TX26 »

Meryaten wrote:All other considerations aside, if you are not comfortable with the ortho, you're dead right not to go there for treatment.
I 100% agree. Think of them as a plastic surgeon (of sorts) for your teeth (no pun intended for the story below). Besides, for the amount of money that any type of braces cost, you should be more than comfortable with the orthodontist you choose.

Case in point - At one of the 3 consultations that I went to I asked him if the end result of braces would change my profile (since I have a slight overbite I thought perhaps adjusting that would move my chin forward a bit - heck, I didn't know!) and his reply?

'Well, I can recommend a GREAT plastic surgeon in town!'

YUCK - I hightailed it out of there!!! I was asking a simple question to understand the treatment. :x

I'm guessing you have a good relationship with your physician and dentist. If so, you want the same thing with your orthodontist.
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

belmikry

#7 Post by belmikry »

Last edited by belmikry on Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

belmikry

#8 Post by belmikry »

I think its best to note that we all in some way are self conscious about our braces, regardless of the type. but you need to remind yourself that you aren't alone, the vast majority of people get braces at one point in their lives, and adults are no exception. I never EVER wanted braces, and like you- I thought it was only one tooth, and was seriously considering just pulling it out and shoving a false one in the space, but after I found a great orthodontist, she showed me otherwise. She was maybe 35, young at heart and had braces herself while in school, so she was very considerate of how I perceived my image- as an adult, and as a women. I really wanted invisaligns too, but they wouldn't work for my problem- I ended up getting Damon 3's- which are half ceramic and half metal self-ligating braces. the reason? they take half the time as any other braces [called "speed braces"] they are smaller than ceramics/metals and less pain. I figured if I was going to spend so much money, I wanted a fast improvement so I could look at my smile and see progress, not just metal.

I can tell you that i'm self conscious about them, but hardly anyone notices- and usually i'll be complaining about them to friends/co-workers and they'll be like, "hmm? oh right! I forgot you had those..." so really, its all a self mind game than anything- I found looking at the progress on this site made me open up my eyes and do something for myself, instead of worrying about what others thought of me.
one person in particular made me very optimistic:
viewtopic.php?t=8295&highlight=
check out this site, and you'll realize the difference you can make for a short period of time in your life!

my ortho also told me with all of these "Grills" in popular culture, I should be excited to have braces to 'blend into' the crowd? [shrugs] guess I should get some diamonds in them ;)

good luck!
Braces off- 12 months 1 week in braces- estimate 18-21 months!
First time in braces- Damon 3's- 01-30-06 - 02-09-2007 hawley clear retainer on top, permenant retainer on bottom

chelsea28

#9 Post by chelsea28 »

ATTENTION MEEP!
I am in the exact same predicament as you.
except i am fourteen.
I know... big change hahaha
Everyone already has their braces off in my age range and I want linguals
can anyone on this site PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how much linguals differ from regular braces and/or ceramics
I admit, I am vain in this case because Ive been so self concious about my teeth for very long now, and havent done anythign about it because my parents didnt have the proper dental plan.
there about to receive one and i think im able to make some choices in the type of braces i get.
I wouldnt be able to stand having metal on the outside of my teeth for a year or more.
thanks you guys :)

meep

#10 Post by meep »

hi Chelsea- I wanted to get braces when I was your age, but you're right, it was tough b/c all of my friends had just gotten theirs off. You're very brave, and you're definitely making the right decision. I don't think that there is ever a really a convenient time for braces, but I know that sooner is always better than later. You're only 14 so you'll have them off early in high school, and by your Jr or Sr year, you won’t even remember them, but you’ll be glad you did it. I get my linguals on at the end of April so I’ll be updating under Braces Stories on how they go. Good luck!

Lin

#11 Post by Lin »

Just another hello, meep. You and I have much in common... I am also in my mid-20s, have always been self-conscious about my teeth, and I have a low tolerance for pain... especially oral pain.

The thing of it is, if you think you will be happier with straight teeth, then getting braces is well worth doing for you: vanity or not.

I have had the metal tongue-cutting and cheek abrasions and all that kind of thing with my metal lowers and ceramic uppers, and it's not always easy, but it does make me stronger... and ultimately, I do want to be a stronger person when I see my straight teeth and smile three years from now.

One of the best things I have found to help with all the frustrations and questions is the ArchWired community... it's pretty rare when somebody doesn't have advice about a problem or concern, and there are enough caring individuals here that I have realized I'm really not alone. I hope you can find the same here!

I hope that you found an ortho that you like and are comfortable with... I can't emphasize enough how important that is. It sounds like you are able to get linguals? That's great news!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery and keep us posted on your progress :) :thumbsup: I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.
-- Lin | Braced on 1/31/06 | 5 extractions + Canine Exposed 4/19/06

butterfly

#12 Post by butterfly »

I can totally relate to your fears! Because of me being a chicken I stopped my first orthodontic attempt at age 20. (My parents never tried to force them on me because I was panicking and rebelling so much.) When I was 20 and went to an ortho for the first time they wanted to pull 4 teeth and I just refused. Now, being 30 and after 5 months of braces, I think they are not even close to the horror and terror I expected them to be. (BTW no teeth where pulled this time). Don't let fear ruin your life. It is not worth it!

About the appearance problem I can also relate. But here we go again: If you decide for ceramics instead of linguals, or even for full metals, you will soon find out that most people don't even notice. Those people that do notice might actually mention it to you - but always in a good way! Many people have commented on my braces so far, even total strangers in restaurants' bathrooms, while they saw me brushing. The reactions are positive! People are jealous that I am brave enough to stick with it for 1,5 to 2 years. Many people say they cannot afford it and they wish they could. Sometimes little kids see me with them and tell me "My sister also had them and now she has such a nice smile", "I want them too, this is cool" and so an. It is a good thing to have braces, not a bad thing! I swear, this is really true.
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

missingu

#13 Post by missingu »

chelsea

Maybe you already know this stuff, but in case, here is a quick lesson on linguals.

Linguals are attached to the backside/inside of your teeth, not the front like traditional braces. As such, it is much harder to see them. There are a few drawbacks, though, and these I have read about - not personal experience.

One of the major drawbacks with linguals is that they really can mess up your speech. The tongue hits up against the back of the lower teeth virtually every time we speak, and if you have all this metal piled on the back of your teeth, your speech CAN be seriously inhibited. I have read of it taking people weeks to develop a normal speech pattern because the tongue just can't get used to the metal sticking out.

Another big drawback is the fact that there is such direct contact between the tongue and brackets that a person's tongue can get really gashed up, which hurts and makes speech even harder. There are some orthos who will do linguals upper jaw but not lower because of this exact problem. Maybe not all people have problems but that is what I have read.

Also, not very many orthos are trained in linguals. Linguals were extremely popular until the advent of Invisalign, which has now captured the market on "invisible braces." So, not that many orthos do linguals nowadays. Makes finding a good person harder.

Metal braces are the traditional, metal braces. Ceramic are the more clear brackets, though you still have a metal wire going across your teeth. Just not a mouthful of obtrusive metal (if you are worried about that). Most orthos put ceramic on top and metal on the bottom because most people show more upper teeth than lower. I, somehow, managed to be the opposite and even though I had metal, people didn't notice until I talked or smiled because then they saw my lower teeth but I never show upper. One reason orthos won't put ceramic on bottom is that for people with an overbite, their teeth can easily land on top of the ceramic brackets because they are larger -not more visible per se but the bracket takes up more room on the tooth. I have to be rebraced an am getting ceramic upper and lower because I actually have an underbite.

When you go for your consult(s), be sure to get a feel for the clinical reason the ortho may or may not recommend a certain bracket. I emphasize clinical because many orthos have a policy of just using metal on those under-18, believing the younger crowd is rougher on braces. Ironic, because ceramic is just as tough. But, if all things are equal clinically, I think you could certainly ask about ceramics as you are not exactly a 10-year-old boy who likes to beat up his brother. Quite a few teens at the high school where I worked had ceramics, so it is OK to do.

Please don't restrict your brace selection to linguals. Yes, they are much less visible, but they also interfere more with your life (assuming you are like me and like to talk and eat!). Ceramics might be a good middle ground if a mouth full of metal is more than you can take right now.

I know it is hard to hear "oh, it's only a year or two and you are so young" but to an extent that is true. But, realistically, if you feel that you would be really unhappy with braces at this point in your life, and your clinical situation is stable, would you want to wait until you got out of school? I am sure you want a nice smile, but if you really don't think you could "do it" now (barring clinical reasons necessitating them now), remember that waiting is always an option. For me, if I have to do something I'm not sure I want to, as long as I remember I made the choice and there is no coercion, I can usually get through.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
missingu

lionfish

#14 Post by lionfish »

As a lingual wearer, I'd like to add my 20 cents worth to some of the comments below.

[/quote]Linguals are attached to the backside/inside of your teeth, not the front like traditional braces. As such, it is much harder to see them. [/quote]

They are completely hidden.

[/quote]One of the major drawbacks with linguals is that they really can mess up your speech. The tongue hits up against the back of the lower teeth virtually every time we speak, and if you have all this metal piled on the back of your teeth, your speech CAN be seriously inhibited. I have read of it taking people weeks to develop a normal speech pattern because the tongue just can't get used to the metal sticking out.[/quote]

There is a period of adjustment, certainly, but with the newer generation of lingual braces which have a lower profile, adjustment can now be much quicker. My speech returned to normal within a couple of weeks.

[/quote]Another big drawback is the fact that there is such direct contact between the tongue and brackets that a person's tongue can get really gashed up, which hurts and makes speech even harder. There are some orthos who will do linguals upper jaw but not lower because of this exact problem. Maybe not all people have problems but that is what I have read.[/quote]

Linguals do impact on your tongue. It took roughly two weeks for my tongue to "toughen up" in the same way that one's inner cheeks would need to toughen up to regular braces.

[/quote]Also, not very many orthos are trained in linguals. Linguals were extremely popular until the advent of Invisalign, which has now captured the market on "invisible braces." So, not that many orthos do linguals nowadays. Makes finding a good person harder.[/quote]

The additional training required dictates that there will be fewer orthos offering linguals as a service. Another factor is cost: linguals cost far more than traditional braces, which would also reduce demand - and therefore supply - of suitably trained orthos. I would not agree that Invisalign has necessarily captured the market on invisible braces, as this technology is only suitable for mild cases, whereas linguals can be used to treat almost any case in the same was as traditional braces.

[/quote]Please don't restrict your brace selection to linguals. Yes, they are much less visible, but they also interfere more with your life (assuming you are like me and like to talk and eat!). [/quote]

As someone who also likes to talk and eat, let me assure you that I've suffered no ill effects through wearing linguals.

pucca26

#15 Post by pucca26 »

Please!!!! Have a positive thinking!!!!
Linguals are not as bad and regular braces either!!!
I got my upper linguals 3 days ago and I’m so glad I took that decision, it doesn’t cut my tongue but the first day it was a LITTLE painful because it was touching my tongue all the time and I was not used to, but now it has improved a lot and I didn’t have problems with the speech, at the beginning I talked a little rare, but LITTLE, and I go on improving, when I came back from the dentist I was talking to my father and he didn’t realized any difference in the speech, I have to admit that I thought it would have been to much worse, but it wasn’t.
The only problem I have is for eating because I do it slower, but that's all I don’t live eating yoghurt and soup.
I personally didn’t chose invisaling because it was 3 times more expensive than linguals and the results are poor many times.
Just relax and take a decision