Wondering if....

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Angel4Life

Wondering if....

#1 Post by Angel4Life »

Hey, i was wondering could you get lingual braces with crowded upper arch. I kno i would have to get an appointment to offically decide if this is possible, but does anyone have linguals that had crowding in there upper arch. Also if possible could you post pictures please, if not still would love to here from you.

antsika

#2 Post by antsika »

Hi Angel! I have quite crowded teeth and I am getting upper and lower linguals next Friday! So I think that it is possible. My 4 wisdom teeth had to be extracted and also 3 other teeth will be extracted in order to have space for all my teeth in one row.

I was also very excited if I could have linguals because I didn't want any other kind but all the orthos I visited said that it is possible. So I am sure you should try and see an ortho!

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures but will make later on.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Hi angel4life, I have upper linguals and a moderately overcrowded arch. I don't have any pics from the beginning, sorry.

Septimus

#4 Post by Septimus »

angel, i've got SEVERELY crowded teeth and i'm getting linguals in about a month. but i have to get 4 teeth removed.

the first dentist/ortho i went to about 2 years ago told me my teeth were too crowded for linguals.

only now do i realise he was a shifty guy who didn't offer linguals and wanted to convince me to get regular ones.

what a coward.

if i had've known i could get linguals i would've got them 2 years ago and probably be finished now.

moral of the story = ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Angel4Life

#5 Post by Angel4Life »

Does the extractions hurt? They can still apply linguals with teeth missing?

Thank yall for replying..!!!

antsika

#6 Post by antsika »

When they do the extractions you get local anesthesia so you don't feel anything. I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed, it didn't hurt at all, but afterwards I had pain for 3-4 days. I took Ibuprofen every 4-5 hours so it was ok.

About getting lingual with teeth missing: my ortho said I can decide wether I have my 3 other teeth extracted before or after the braces put on so it can be used with teeth missing as well. I chose to have them removed after because as the teeth start moving it is less painful to do the extractions.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

By way of comment, I was advised yesterday to have a lower wisdom tooth pulled. It has never been bracketed, probably because my ortho was adopting a wait and see approach. Evidently, it's getting in the way of closing my bite so it has to go. It's fully erupted and I'll have it done under local. Not looking forward to this, but the sooner it's out, the sooner my ortho can work on closing my bite.

antsika

#8 Post by antsika »

Hello Lionfish,

I know it is not good news but it is not that bad as it seems. The most important thing is to choose a very good dental surgeon who has lot of experience in extracting wisdom teeth. It is not a kind of extraction which should be done by a dentist or an ortho.
My lower wisdom teeth were both impacted but I had such a great dental surgeon who has managed to get them out without the need of an operation (without drilling the bone or anything)!
Actually I am very excited as well as I am getting my lingual brackets after tomorrow...

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Good luck for tomorrow, antsika.

My general dentist will be pulling my wisdom tooth. I've been a patient of his for 20 plus years and trust him with my life (well, actually, my teeth). The tooth is fully erupted so shouldn't be a problem to extract.

amber

#10 Post by amber »

Hi lionfish - I had an erupted upper wisdom tooth extracted a few months ago. It was a really simple procedure - a bit of local and a few tugs and it was out. No real pain or swelling. My regular dentist did mine too.
Good luck!

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

That's good to hear, amber. Was yours an upper or lower tooth?

amber

#12 Post by amber »

Lionfish: I had my upper right wisdom tooth extracted.

antsika

#13 Post by antsika »

Thank you Lionfish! I am sure you are in good hands! My wisdoms were problematic, impacted, one of them not erupted so probably that is why my regular dentist didn't want to do it.

pucca26

#14 Post by pucca26 »

Hi angel,

I have upper linguals where I had an awful crowding, you can se my pics here.

viewtopic.php?t=10807

Good luck
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

antsika

#15 Post by antsika »

Hi there! So today I have been braced :D

Here are some pics about my crowded teeth yesterday:

And today:

I've spent 4 hours in the chair. (Is it normal?)
My speech is terrible, my mouth is full of metal and sharp edges and there is no space for my tongue at all :(
And it is going to be like this for 2 years...