Not depressed anymore with my orthodontic treatment

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pucca26

#16 Post by pucca26 »

Thank you all, :HugeGrin: jcdamon3, KK, Lionfish and TX26 , I think I fell much better now that I know that I'm not the only one that had this problem with linguals. My ortho also made a molar buildup but I broke it while I was sleeping because I have bruxism (it’s to grind the teeth, a clenching of the teeth, associated with forceful jaw movements, resulting in rubbing, gritting, or grinding together of the teeth, usually during sleep) , my ortho had told me that I had it before but I was not sure she was right because I've always had thought I slept with my mouth open but now that I woke up in the middle of the night because the breaking molar buildup noise into my mouth, I know that's true, it was nice that I broke it in some way because now I can chew (I couldn't do it before because my upper teeth didn't have contact with the lowers) but now I have to eat a lot carefully if I don’t want to break a bracket, and I’m also afraid to break it at night. :Questions:
I think that if Tx26 and Lionfish could live so much time eating soft thing I have to be able, too. It’s always easier to say it than to do it, but I have to try. :P
Tx26 it’s very nice you can have your lower linguals, my ortho said I couldn’t so I’ll have to have ceramics (inspire ice) they are not so bad because they are very clear like my teeth, but I would like to have linguals too. :?
And my ortho is young but I trusted her from the beginning, other way I would have choose another doctor. She have so much experience for her age and has a lot of patients.

Take care you all, and thank you.
:jump:
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

TX26

#17 Post by TX26 »

Pucca26 - I also have molar build-ups on the bottoms to prevent me from biting off the top linguals due to my overbite. I'm not kidding when I say the minute both top and bottom linguals were put on, my bite was drastically changed forever. ;) Overtime, as my teeth shifted into place, and my bite has gradually been corrected through rubberbands, they've had to re-surface the build-ups. It always works out in the end. Odd huh?

I'm just amazed at how much orthodontics can do. Granted, I'm not one of the cases that needed surgery, but I look at the pics from before, and where I'm at now, and still cannot believe how much movement has occured.

Just remember - This is a life-long investment and you will be very pleased. Yes, there will be frustration, pain, and moments of doubt, but it will be worth it.

I went through the same feelings while in college, and stuck with it and graduated - no regrets what so ever!

:)
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

lionfish

#18 Post by lionfish »

Hi TX26, nice to see you again. A shortened treatment time - half your luck!

Pucca26, I went with ceramic lowers and they're OK. I've had them two weeks now, have been around quite a few people including friends, and no-one apears to have noticed.

dkt3

#19 Post by dkt3 »

It took me about three weeks to eat normally with linguals. But my eating has never been the same as before braces. My advice is to cut everything up into small pieces and try as best you can. It does get better. After four or five months I was eating rather well when my ortho went and changed some brackets and my bottom teeth hit my brackets again so I had to learn to eat again! I thought I would never get used to the new way my mouth had to handle food, however after two weeks it was back to 'normal' again. I have never been able to bit into something with my front teeth whilst I have had linguals but that is because these are the teeth that need to be moved.
I have molar build-ups on my back teeth so I dont bite off my brackets (I had lots of trouble with this!). My ortho always told me he is amazed how quickly people adapt to linguals and I thought at the beginning I would be someone who just couldnt handle them after I got them put on. I was crying because I couldnt eat or swallow without feeling these brackets. However nine months on I love them and hardly notice I have them. My teeth are soooooo much better and I love seeing the changes with my top front teeth.
Work out new ways to eat because it will not be the same until the braces come off, but you will be able to eat fine!

jennielee81

#20 Post by jennielee81 »

pucca26
There is only one bracket that doesn’t allow me to chew properly, maybe my ortho can do something about it or maybe or maybe I have just to wait until that tooth gets a better position so the bracket will find a better position too. I don’t know yet. :?:
HI!! This happened to me!! I was miserable. I don't have linguals, but this issue is not limited to those.

I did learn to eat just about everything after about 3 weeks and one day I realized that this bracket was no longer in the way and all has been quite easy since.

Hang on! It won't take 2 years to get through this...but I'm sure you can't even imagine that is true right now. I've been exactly where you are. Since your teeth seem to be moving so quickly, I'll bet you're not suffering too much longer.

Keep introducing soft foods like the chicken you ate, meatloaf is a good one, ravioli, mashed or baked potatoes with cheese added for protein...

You're almost there!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

pucca26

#21 Post by pucca26 »

Thank you jennielee81 I'm tryng to eat not taking care about were braces are or if one of them is hitting a tooth, is that ok? :roll: it's a little rare but none of then have taken off yet :huh:

jennielee81

#22 Post by jennielee81 »

My ortho basically told me to "bang away".

I was still gentle with my chewing...I certainly didn't provoke a problem but the 2 brackets I did break off were not that one...go figure. That one never budged.

Chew s-l-o-w-l-y :wink:

I wish you the BEST!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Lysachick

#23 Post by Lysachick »

When I fist had my linguals fitted I thought my Ortho had made a huge mistake since my back molars wouldn't close together and in normal resting position my bottom teeth were hitting the linguals. If you read my my earliest posts I was freaking out cause I couldn't eat and very miserable too. I think it would have been a good month or so before I was eating relatively "normally". I've had my linguals on now for 4 months and my bottom teeth rest and chew against the surface of the lingual. I have to admit I'm pretty rough with them- I eat everything I'm not supposed to including pork crackle, nuts, hard chewy confectionary etc and haven't broken a bracket yet.

Like many people here, I still hate having to wear braces and don't think I'll ever like them, but it REALLY does get easier...

pucca26

#24 Post by pucca26 »

I had today a visit to my ortho, it was my first adjustment after 13 days of getting the braces, and she made that buildup molar again :x
I have to admit that I’m not so desperate and I’ll try to handle it. I’m so much happy wih my teeth improvement , and my ortho said it was going really good.
:dance:

pucca26

#25 Post by pucca26 »

Hi again, If you want to see my pics go here

viewtopic.php?t=10807

lionfish

#26 Post by lionfish »

Looking good, pucca26. You have great teeth.

I went out to dinner last night and ordered pork belly. It came with a nice layer of crispy crackling which I'd not anticipated. I took a leaf out of your book, lysachick, cut it up into small pieces and ate it....OMG it was good. Then I ate half of my OH's crackling because he's not crazy about the stuff. After that I backed up with the cheese platter, complete with biscuits and crusty bread. OMG, that was good too.

Sorry, just had to share that.

pucca26

#27 Post by pucca26 »

lionfish that sounds delicious, I’m getting used to eat more variety of food everyday. But what a really miss is pizza. I’ll try to eat it the day before my appointment in case some brackets takes off, it will be repaired the following day :dance:

lionfish

#28 Post by lionfish »

Pucca26, I mentioned on your braces story thread that I ate pizza 3 days after I got braces. It was a bit of a battle then but I think I'd fare much better now.

I'd give it a go seeing as you're coping with most other food. If you're worried about the crusts, cut them off. Also, cut the pizza into small pieces, it's easier to chew like that.

lionfish

#29 Post by lionfish »

Correction: I posted the pizza story on the thread about what you are most looking forward to when the braces come off (General Board).

pucca26

#30 Post by pucca26 »

Finally I could eat pizza!!! I didn’t eat the hardest part so I think I still can’t do it out home, but I fell too much better now because braces are affecting almost nothing my life stile. I’m sooooooooooooo happy. :dance: I can't believe I've had been wearing these braces for 24 days, time really flies.
I wish I could change the subject in this topic :banana: