Linguals upper and lower

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lionfish

#16 Post by lionfish »

Welcome to the linguals club, p.maxwell.

What you're experiencing now is exactly what I went through in my first couple of weeks: fat tongue syndrome, sensitivity from rubbing against the braces/wires, trouble eating and getting certain sounds out. I think I dumped 3 kgs in my first fortnight and I was normal weight to begin with (being a woman, though, I'm not unhappy about this!).

Meryaten, the new generation linguals are a lot more comfortable than the older, larger format ones. I think that's where a lot of the horror stories come from.

Septimus

#17 Post by Septimus »

ok so is the main point of flossing to clean the spaces between the teeth or to clean the gum at the top of the gap, and if so, are you supposed to rub it against the gum?

if i do that it bleeds...

lionfish

#18 Post by lionfish »

Septimus, just to add my 20c worth: my gums used to bleed when I brushed and I was told by my dentist that regular flossing would control the source of this problem. For the last 25 years, I've flossed regularly and it's certainly helped.

It takes a bit longer, but it's worth it for healthy gums.

Septimus

#19 Post by Septimus »

ok guys thanks for the info ill start flossing regularly.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

p.maxwell

#20 Post by p.maxwell »

So today marks the 2 week anniversary of my upper and lower linguals. I haven't really had any pain at all. I only had to take an ibuprofen once. I only used the wax for 1 day. My tongue only rubs up against one side now of my linguals, but it's tolerable. I still can't say any 's' words, but I can say 'sh' words like shoot and shut now.

So with that said, is this normal? Or after I get my first adjustment will the pain start? I've read where some people wanted to rip them off after 3 days and I havent had that feeling at all and I would think so since I usually have a low tolerance for pain.

lionfish

#21 Post by lionfish »

Hey, p.maxwell, it sounds as though you've adjusted very quickly, good for you.

Everyone has a different adjustment phase, so there is probably no such thing as "normal".

I never wanted to rip them off, but they did irritate for the first 2 weeks and I used a lot of wax.

sharonm

#22 Post by sharonm »

Well I have had my upper and lower ones on for over a week.I am eating normal foods and nothing ever hurt.I am of coarse careful when I eat and make sure I chew everything properly.I ate a hamburger two days after I got them on.I haven't had to use any wax at all,so I have 5 packs of those just sitting in te drawer.As for speech it has improved greatly and I sound pretty much the same as I did before I got them on.Of coarse I can sometimes have a bad moment with them on when I happen to lisp but it is pretty rare.Most of the time I forget I have them on

lionfish

#23 Post by lionfish »

Hey sharonm, great to hear you're doing so well.

I think once the tongue adjusts to the linguals, there's almost no further need for wax.

annie82

#24 Post by annie82 »

sharonm wrote:Well I have had my upper and lower ones on for over a week.I am eating normal foods and nothing ever hurt.I am of coarse careful when I eat and make sure I chew everything properly.I ate a hamburger two days after I got them on.I haven't had to use any wax at all,so I have 5 packs of those just sitting in te drawer.As for speech it has improved greatly and I sound pretty much the same as I did before I got them on.Of coarse I can sometimes have a bad moment with them on when I happen to lisp but it is pretty rare.Most of the time I forget I have them on
great ur doing fine...i have uppers only and it took a good while to get used. but it's something u survive, don't worry!!
cheers

TX26

#25 Post by TX26 »

I've had my uppers and lowers on for 17 months now. nearing the end! :D

I barely notice that I have them on anymore. :o

All of the main movement of my teeth has been completed, now we are just working on my bite. I went in last Wednesday, and he wants me to wear the rubberbands only on the left side.
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

lionfish

#26 Post by lionfish »

Hi TX26, good to see you. I was thinking you must just about be done now.