Extractions, Microscrews and Linguals

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brady

Extractions, Microscrews and Linguals

#1 Post by brady »

Hi there-

I'm new to this site - I will be getting lingual uppers and clear lowers in 4 to 6 weeks - waiting for the linguals to get to Seattle from Germany. I've been reading messages on this site for a few months now and I really appreciate all of the discussion and tips.

My questions are:

1) I have a good-sized overbite, and I'm told I'll need extractions of the upper 2nd bicuspids. However, according to my ortho's plan, the extractions won't happen for 6 to 8 months into treatment. Is this normal? The majority of messages I've read indicate that extractions are happening during the beginning few months of treatment. I trust my ortho, but am curious about this.

2) Does anyone have any advice re: extractions and how they have impacted your upper lip and profile? I'm worried about this as I have a pretty thin upper lip as it is, and my ortho has warned me about possible lip retraction since the upper teeth tend to support the lips...?? :?

3) My ortho says there is a 60% chance I will need microscrews after the extractions to help hold back the molars so that they can't move forward. Apparently, this is so that the front teeth can move back to fill the gaps and correct the overbite. Anyone had any experience with microscrews?

Thanks for any input,
Brady

brady

#2 Post by brady »

Thanks so much for the links and the welcome, Meryaten. Lisa's story is a bit scary, I think I'll have another discussion with my ortho on that one. :shock:

I was actually given a choice between extractions, jaw surgery, or I guess it's called "incomplete correction" - she said she could straighten the teeth, and not adjust the bite. However, she didn't recommend the incomplete correction because she didn't quite know if straightening would make my bite worse or not.

I've struggled for a few years on the decision between surgery vs. extractions. I've seen 6 different ortho's to get their opinion, and all but one recommended extractions over surgery, since I have a fairly strong profile. I'm really hoping that my results with the extractions will be just fine. (fingers crossed) I was hoping to hear about others who've already had extractions and had concerns about their profiles - to see how it all turned out. Maybe I'll do some more searching on this site. I did read the website owner's story, sounds like she got 4 extractions (ouch!), and all turned out OK. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.

Anyway, I'm excited to get the braces on and get started with this process!! Although still nervous about potentially sounding like Elmer Fudd.

Later,
Brady

cecilia_101

Re: Microimplants

#3 Post by cecilia_101 »

Hi Brady :)

I have lingual braces and just had a microimplant put in (yesterday!). I have to admit that I was really scared about my ortho putting in the implant and I wasn't looking forward to it at all! But as it turns out it didn't hurt at all and I have already forgotten that it's there :)
This has definitely been the easier and most painfree part of the whole process so far, so don't worry about it at all!!

Good luck with everything :)

Cecilia

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Brady, hi

Most microimplants are put in the jawbone just behind the tooth in question, so they can be used to pull the tooth into line. It's unusual for them to go into the palate like mine did. From what I can gather the palatal ones are more prone to being a problem.

Sorry if my story scared you! I did have some initial problems including one screw rejecting, but everything is fine now 2 months on, and I will have the remaining screw connected up on Monday.

I'm surprised your ortho is recommending microscrews though if it is just to hold molars in position rather than actually moving them backwards. Any of the palatal arches such as the Nance appliance will do that job without the need for implants. I guess maybe because you're having linguals, it's different because you don't want anything visible on the outside?

Keep us posted!

Lisa

brady

#5 Post by brady »

Cecilia - Thanks for the positive story! Though I'm still hoping I won't need them and that the Class 2 elastics will do the job OK without an anchor for the molars. :wink:

Lisa65 - Yeah, I noticed that your microscrews were put in on the inside of your teeth/gums (OK, the palate), rather than on the outside, which I haven't seen before. It does seem a bit more difficult to deal with. You know, I'm going to ask my ortho about the Nance arch - I guess I just assumed that you couldn't use them with lingual uppers (?) due to lack of space in there. Oh man, I can't imagine what that might do to my speech... :paperbag:

-Brady