Next week I will be one of you!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bradyfan

Next week I will be one of you!

#1 Post by bradyfan »

I am getting my iBraces bonded next Friday (upper and lower). Although I'm already preparing for the worst based on a lot of postings I've read here, can anyone give me the lowdown on what I should expect for the first few weeks? I'm scared!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I have upper linguals only and I found the first fortnight the hardest of the lot. This is because your tongue is not used to contact with the brackets, so expect some "abrasion" and discomfort. For me, this discomfort outweighed any pressure from the wire. I've never really had what one could call pain.

Take Meryaten's advice and stock up on wax, stay hydrated, etc. I'll add that warm salt water rinses will also help.

Once you're used to the brackets, it should be plain sailing.

p.maxwell

#3 Post by p.maxwell »

welcome bradyfan.

I will say everyone is different. From my experience, the first 4 weeks was a breeze. I was eating everything the next day after getting them on (i am a vegan though), and i had no pain....NONE... then the pain hit me & my tongue was raw and scraped up. I wanted to rip these suckers right out...then each week later, it got better and better.. I am 9 months in and I only have slight discomfort from the pressure of getting my readjustments every 6 weeks or the changing to a thicker wire (which is cured by a few ibuprofen). I think I only used the wax for a week and was able to go without it afterwards.

anyhoo, good luck at your appt next friday and good luck on your journey to a healthy smile. :-D