Should i get Linguals??

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sonja

Should i get Linguals??

#1 Post by sonja »

Hello guys, this is my first topic on this forum, i just signed up. I have really badly crooked teeth up the top at the front, if you can imagine sort of a vampire look but not as scary..... with 2 baby teeth still in there with there adult teeth in hiding in my gums so i have to have an operation to help bring them out of hiding, this is scary enough but the decision on which braces to get is driving me crazy........ :cry: :cry:
i am so scared i will get linguals and just hate them, i dont know if i could handle not being able to bite down... but i really dont want visable braces either..
does anyone have any advice on how they made their decision and if they are happy with their linguals!!!!
my boyfriend and i are going on a boat cruise in november and i am not sure if i want them for that, i mean if i cant eat properly it might reck my holiday we have saved for ages for, but i dont really want to wait any longer than i have to.... help.......
:cry: :cry:

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Hi Sonja,

I'm on the eastern seaboard and currently chomping into an early lunch of sushi!

I didn't want the visibility of braces, so chose upper linguals and lower ceramics. The ceramics are only visible at close range.

I found I was unable to bite down comfortably for the first 4-6 weeks, but now I bite down into most things, including pizza and toast.

It took me around 2 weeks to get comfortable with the linguals (and about the same time for the ceramics) and my diet has not suffered as a result.

I am very happy with my choice.

Be aware that linguals cost a fair bit more than regular braces.

sonja

#3 Post by sonja »

yeah i know they cost heaps but i am ok with that, i was fully prepared to get implants and they cost a fortune, i am just going to get out a loan i figure its worth it.
4-6 weeks doesnt sound too bad to be able to bite down, i just cant imaging not being able to have your teeth meet each other at the back.
when did you get yours because people are saying the new ones have a really low profile.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I got mine in February 2006. They are pretty small.

sonja

#5 Post by sonja »

I have just been told by the receptionist of the orth i have an appointment for in September this is the earliest i can get it, anyway she just informed me they dont do lingual's on the top just the bottom, what's the point of that.
i dont think i will be able to find anyone in Perth who will do it.....

bradyfan

#6 Post by bradyfan »

Welcome Sonja. I just got upper and lower ibraces bonded yesterday. Right now I can't really bite down. Like Lionfish said, I get the food directly to my molars, slosh it around a little bit, and then swallow. Just liquids and soft foods for now and I imagine this will last the first couple of weeks. I'll be happy to update you on my progress. My tongue is a little sore and my speech is a little lispy right now. From what I understand, this will initially get worse before it gets better and then I'll start to get comfortable. Should be a fun ride!

sonja

#7 Post by sonja »

wow, top and bottom, people say thats hard to get used to. i need to look around for a ortho who will do it i think, but from what i gather there is only one ortho in my state which does it. i hope he turns out to be a good one, it does make me wonder though why dont other orthos do this procedure, perhaps there is something wrong with it.. not sure.
so does it bother you not being able to bite down? i can imagine that would be really uncomfortable. what happens when you try??

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

sonja wrote: it does make me wonder though why dont other orthos do this procedure, perhaps there is something wrong with it.. not sure.
Linguals can do pretty much what regular braces can do, sonja.

I posted in another thread that if you check out the Australian Society of Orthodontists website, you'll find the orthos who do linguals listed there. There seemed to be more than one in the Perth area.

sonja

#9 Post by sonja »

yeah i had a look at that and i have asked my dentist to enquire to see what he is like. i basically have the choice of waiting for DR G. who is known as the best in the business for Ortho work and recomended highly be everyone, but he doesnt do linguals.. and the waiting list is till Feb 08. or i can go see this guy in Perth who does linguals. who i think is available straight away.
i guess i will go see him anyway you never know he could turn out to be amazing too....

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

A waiting list until February 2008?????????? This guy doesn't want new patients.

Pardon my ignorance, sonja, and I don't claim to know Perth very well, but from my quick scan of the Aust Society of Orthos, there seem to be 4-5 orthos who do linguals in and around Perth: Dr G, Dr M, Dr R, Dr S (twice)...

Notwithstanding getting a referral from your regular dentist, you could always ring up these guys and book a consult.

BlahBlah

#11 Post by BlahBlah »

Woah i waited round 1 month for my intial consult and i thought that was bad....!

I had a sorta vampiry look too... i duno what those teeth r called but they r 2 across the 2 top front teeth and they r sorta pointy... this vampire look has greatly diminished since getting linguals but i think there's heaps of more work to be done (on these teeth) heaps of more movement needed...

I am very happy with my decision, i love linguals for the fact that they r invisible!!! It's totally worth the money... I don;t think i couldve lived with regular braces at my age (23) ...

You wont regret this sonja and u wont hate them... I know people that got regular braces and had problems eating as well.. It happens with any kind of braces, the pressure make ur teeth sensitive and therefore u can't bite down... ul be rite... i think it's easier with linguals to be honest as with regular braces u always have to clean out the foods stuck in between ur brackets rite after every meal because it's noticeable.. :lol:

sonja

#12 Post by sonja »

yeah i know its ages away i just want them on now or i at least want to know my options i'm going crazy wondering different things.
i know what you mean about the age thing, i am 27 and even though i feel and look younger than most of my friends who are younger than me, i still know my age and i dont want to be 30 and just being able to smile without thinking people are looking at me funny..........
and i figure if i end up getting linguals and i can live with them ok then it will only be until my teeth look semi normal for me to feel like its over in a way.. you know.....

bradyfan

#13 Post by bradyfan »

I was scared at first too about getting the top and bottom linguals the same day. It seems most people on this board have a significant wait inbetween. Right now I'm on day 4 and doing O.K. I really don't think it would have been much more comfortable if I had only done one arch. I'm actually glad to get the whole ordeal overwith at once. I don't think it's the lingual thing that prevents me from biting down. I think, as mentioned above, it's just the fact that my teeth are sore and tender. Hopefully this will subside in a few days. I have an underbite and my ortho did something to "prop" my bite to prevent my front teeth from slipping behind my back teeth. Due to this, my molars aren't quite hitting each other the way they used to, but I think I'd still be able to chew if the teeth weren't so tender. So far I'm happy with my decision. The obvious benefit is nobody can see them. I feel like I am having speech problems, but everyone tells me they wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said anything. So really my only problem right now is chewing. Once I am able to eat normally again I will be sooo happy!

Can others comment on how long it took them before they were able to chew? I know it may be longer before I can bite into a sandwich, but I would be happy to be able to cut something up and really chew it at this point. Thanks!

lionfish

#14 Post by lionfish »

Can others comment on how long it took them before they were able to chew?
Unlike you, I got my uppers first and lowers (ceramics/metal) 8 weeks thereafter.

I was eating pizza (chopped up) on day 3 and went out to dinner with friends on day 9 to a Greek restaurant. There were platters of octopus, lamb and various other chewy stuff and I was damned if I wasn't going to chow them down. I remember it being hard work and the lemon dressings hurt my tongue like hell, but I managed. I think one just has to force onesself to start chewing because the sooner you do, the better it gets.

Btw, I was an underbite case too and at one stage I had only two second molars making contact. Despite this, I still managed to eat.

BlahBlah

#15 Post by BlahBlah »

I started chewing at like day 10....