I HATE SCREWS!

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kissmesoon

I HATE SCREWS!

#1 Post by kissmesoon »

Can anyone tell me more about the other options possible instead of mini-screws?

killab

Screws

#2 Post by killab »

I would go ahead and bite the bullet on screws. They are a better replacement for headgear. If you have an overbite, under-bite or protrusion this is the best way to go. AND if you want to avoid orthognathic surgery. Take a look at this case.

http://www.cmj.org/periodical/PaperList ... 3361707878

For the average cost of 500 a screw you're getting a bargain as opposed to surgery.[/url]

skoey

TADs

#3 Post by skoey »

my ortho called these TADs (but i don't remember what they stand for, sorry :( ). i'm about to get these in a few months. my ortho said this is quite a new(ish) procedure and it's works really well! i'm sure it will hurt (for me) once i get them but i'm just looking at the overall picture in which it will fix my openbite. it beats getting surgery for sure!

relientKitten

#4 Post by relientKitten »

TAD stands for Temporary Anchoring Device. I had mine put in early last year and they're now being put to use to fill newly-formed gaps after extractions. Mine are bright blue, made of titanium, and make me think of some sort of extreme piercing.

In general, the insertion didn't hurt at all. They punctured a small hole in the tissue and then cranked these babies in; didn't even notice pressure and I was numbed up quite well. The rubbing, however, is awful. It took about three weeks before I built up enough scar tissue that I was willing to talk for any length of time or smile. Now I barely notice they're there unless I Cheshire-grin. They're a lot less hassle than headgear would be. I don't know about cost; I'm utilizing a local dental school's program and the cost was all-inclusive for whatever they need done except extractions.

ShySmile

#5 Post by ShySmile »

Hi Guys,

I went to my 2nd appt yesterday and was told that i needed these unsightly screws. I went home cried...very mature, im 26!

I was a little worried reading through this thread...headgear????!

I didnt think that my crowding was that bad. Do the screws remain in place for the whole duration that you have your braces in?

Also i have the biggest mouth and widest smile...there is no way that these srews wont be seen, as my ortho keeps trying to convince me! Im also getting 2 teeth extracted, so obvious that there will be a huge gap, but once again he seems to think noone will notice. Please let me know your experience because im starting to get cold feet :(.....thanks