Lingual Brackets

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dkt3

Lingual Brackets

#1 Post by dkt3 »

Does anyone else have lingual brackets break off easy? Ive now has three in two weeks.

mb

#2 Post by mb »

Hi dkt3

Did your brackets break three times already? Was it while eating?

Mine are OK after 4 weeks but the wire at the back of one side is a bit loose, I think it is not attached to the bracket of the last teeth so it moves if I touch it with my tongue. I think I might wait until my appointment next week.

dkt3

#3 Post by dkt3 »

I have had two from the same tooth come off in my sleep. The ortho thought I was biting down on it so last week he put a stop on the back of my tooth so there is no way I can bite down. Then yesterday it came off again while eating porridge!! I am getting frustrated because I am not eating anything Im not meant to. I asked if there is another glue they could use but they said that the glue being used is the strongest and good for linguals...... so tomorrow I will find out what can be done next.
I also had a front tooth bracket come off while I was doing nothing so I am wondering what is happening.

mb

#4 Post by mb »

I bite my fronth teeth bracket all the time while eating. During the first week I was careful with what I ate but now I can eat almost everything. It takes me longer to eat because my back teeth don't close properly.

It looks like it has to be the glue. But I have only had the braces for 4 weeks now.

dkt3

#5 Post by dkt3 »

mb - sometimes my wire seems loose too when my teeth are moving. Just ask at your next appointment. I have different teeth that hurt at different times between adjustments which I have been told is normal.

Apparently I was still biting on my bracket so I have had another stopper placed on a back molar. Now my tooth is way off!

You will get quicker at eating. I was really slow for the first two months (cant believe how quick its going!) and now I am pretty normal. My back teeth do not even come close to closing anymore, but eating isnt a problem any more.

Are you liking your linguals mb?

mb

#6 Post by mb »

I'm very happy with my decision. Nobody notices anything different. It took me a week to adapt because the wire was hurting my tongue. But I know people with labial braces and they had problems at the beginning too. I was not using wax after 1 week.

I will be able to tell the difference between lingual and labial when I get my labial braces in my lowers, that will probably be in a couple of months.

My only concern is that I haven't noticed any movement after 1 month. I hope I start noticing some improvement after my next adjustment :D

smiler

#7 Post by smiler »

Hi All

I'm coming to the end of my treatment and I've had just about everything happen but it's looking good.... I had wires pinging off and brackets dislodging to start with, but I think that was largely due to what and how I was eating. I've just learned to be very, very careful. Still, whatever the orthodontist says, I don't think it's always our fault. I'm sure one loose bracket was a passion casualty.
I've got an upper lingual brace and lower ceramic. For the next (and final)three months, I'll have ceramic uppers too, because it will apparently give a better finish. No idea how I'll feel but since my front teeth are nice and straight now, I'll just grin and bear it (sorry).
I've not bitten for 18 months - looking forward to that! One positive side effect was losing weight, but personally I found the sore tongue and ulcers far, far worse than the pain from the movement. I don't regret it at all, even if it wasn't comfortable. I smile with confidence now. :D

TX26

#8 Post by TX26 »

At the beginning of my treatment they started me out with a very thin wires. I broke a bracket loose once every week, week and a half. I became a regular at my orthodontic office and they eventually started teasing me about it. :oops: :wink:

Now that I am 8 months into treatment and they have thicker wires in place, I have not broken a bracket off - so i think in my situation it had to do with both the wire thickness as well as my knowledge on how to bite food.

Just use caution and know that it does happen with lingual braces! :)

annie82

#9 Post by annie82 »

yep i had the same problem too at the very beginning, i would break a bracket a day. now i'm quite more used to eating and i only break brackets every now and then, maybe it's the wire which is more resisting...anyway just avoiding food on the black list clearly helps...i miss popcorns :cry:

TX26

#10 Post by TX26 »

I know EXACTLY how you feel about the popcorn issue - I used to have it (no joke) at least 3 times a week prior to the braces. :(

Every now and then I'll have a bowl, but it becomes frustrating when you have to eat each piece carefully. :roll:

That is definately one of the perks I cannot wait to have back once these things are off!!! :D (Other than a million-dollar smile) ;)
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

annie82

#11 Post by annie82 »

i made the unforgivable mistake of having a bowl just 2-3 weeks after getting wired up...i broke 2 brackets and it took a good while cleaning thing up...so i'd better give it a rest now. :lol: And thank god i have only upper ones...how do u deal with top and bottom linguals??

suedeness123

bracket

#12 Post by suedeness123 »

My backet on my top front tooth came off the tooth but it's still on the arch wire. It's saturday and I can't get to my ortho's until monday at the earliest. I can't chew and would like to take the bracket off the wire. Anyone know how to do this?

lionfish

#13 Post by lionfish »

Uhhh.....don't know about this. If the bracket is still "tied" to the wire, you would need to untie it. I'd not be game to try without a special tool. Also, you're limited by not being able to see directly what you're doing.

If you can, I'd wait until Monday. I know it's a pain (it's happened to me with a second molar).

TX26

Re: bracket

#14 Post by TX26 »

suedeness123 wrote:My backet on my top front tooth came off the tooth but it's still on the arch wire. It's saturday and I can't get to my ortho's until monday at the earliest. I can't chew and would like to take the bracket off the wire. Anyone know how to do this?
I would not recommend doing this yourself. I've had to wait it out over weekends and yes, it sucks, but I'd rather do that than damage a bracket and/or wire and have to have re-order one from Germany...

They would remove my bracket by snipping the band...

Try chewing on the opposite side of your mouth?

:)
4.18.05 - lingualcares - top & bottom
estimated time - 18 months
READJUSTED treatment time - 16 months

Maclock

In less than three weeks, two iBraces brackets came off...

#15 Post by Maclock »

...while eating. Both in the same area (teeth 28 and 29 in the American system, 1st and 2nd bicuspids/premolars, respectively). Once, while eating a hot dog immediately after treatment, the second today, while eating some sausages. Am I to conclude, then, that encased meats, no matter how soft or how small they are cut up, are a no-no?

Not being able to talk properly, not being able to kiss properly, not being able to speak properly, and now not being able to eat properly, I really don't know if these things are worth the hassle. Perhaps I should have gone for those "six-month braces" that I saw on the web. Or even Invisailign. Eighteen months of this is just too much....

Damned messy teeth, though.... What to do?