STb Lingual Brackets

Discussions relating to Lingual Braces (behind-the-teeth) only, such as iBraces and LingualCare.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Daveyboy

STb Lingual Brackets

#1 Post by Daveyboy »

Hi!

Has anyone ever heard of STb brackets? I've been looking for an ortho in London/Berkshire area - one of the one i've found uses Lingualcare - whereas this one - www.londonlingualbraces.com - uses "STb" brackets?

I know that both of my arches need expanding slightly, and that I also suffer from TMJ headaches and ear stuffiness.

If anyone has any more info on "STb" brackets, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Dave

lollyg888

#2 Post by lollyg888 »

Hi Dave,

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. Would you keep us posted when you find out something?

Thanks!

mb

#3 Post by mb »

I have never heard of STb brackets but the ones on the website look similar to mine. My ortho is in Berkshire, you can have a look at the website: dentalign.co.uk, first 20 minutes consultation is free and they can give you advice on the different options available.

Daveyboy

#4 Post by Daveyboy »

Hi Mb,

I've actually had a consultation at Dentalign.. and i think they use Lingualcare brackets.

I've now found an ortho in Windsor who uses STb brackets so here's an update on what they're about.

THe brackets are much smaller than previous Ormco generation brackets, and sit much flatter against the teeth. However one of the principles that also seems to apply is that for the most part.. these are friction free so will hopefully work similar to Damon labial brackets.

The archwires which are used are also very thin, and exert smaller forces than normal, which from what I have read, can have some positive effects on treatment time.

At the moment.. i'm about to go ahead with treatment- which is looking most likely to be!:

12Months in Lingual
Lower Jow Surgery
Another 4Months in Linguals.

I have an overbite, and also only one side of my teeth meet at the moment. I also suffer from TMJ, and have had headaches and ear stuffiness for several years which also seems attributable to my bad bite. I'm hoping that by sorting all this out, then my headaches will get better as well!

If I do go ahead then watch out for the blog!

Dave

suedeness123

STB lingual braces

#5 Post by suedeness123 »

Hi,

I had a consultation last week with an orthodontist and he'll be using the STB lingual braces for me. Has anyone on here had it done yet? I'm curious to find out what they are like. I was initially planning on getting the lingual on top and ceramics on bottom, but canned the idea once I realized my bottom teeth show more than I realized when I talk.

I'm wondering what the adjustment stage was for the STB braces and how your progress is going.

So far, this board that been the most informative place to go to have all my questions answered and I'm hoping someone can help me out with my STB questions.

thanks

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Hi,

I've not checked the brand of my lingual braces but they are very small compared to previous generation lingual systems and, from what I can gather, SDB brackets are very small too. Maybe (if I can remember) I'll ask my ortho what brand mine are...

I found it quite easy to adjust to the linguals which I have only on my upper arch. The biggest impact was on my tongue, because it can't help bumping into the brackets. Wax and two weeks sorted that out. My tongue is as tough as boot leather now!

I went with ceramics on the bottom because my bottom teeth don't show a lot and it saved me a few thousand dollars. I've had no trouble with the ceramics and no canker sores.

My first adjustment was at 8 weeks and my next will be at 6 weeks. I think adjustments are scheduled just like any other treatment system, and according to what has to be done and the speed of progress.

I've had one wire change on my linguals and my next appointment is a long one so I'm expecting some more "action". Things are tracking nicely and there has been noticeable movement.

suedeness123

#7 Post by suedeness123 »

Thanks Lionfish for your reply. How was the adjustment to talking?

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

suedeness123 wrote:Thanks Lionfish for your reply. How was the adjustment to talking?
Pretty quick, probably attributable to the smaller brackets. I went straight back to work after my appointment and the following day was up for a full day's talking to people for a job I was doing at the time. I'd been dreading this, but was fine on the day.

The thing is to start talking immediately after your braces go on and keep talking. This way you'll find what works best for your speech. If anything, the only sound that disappears from time to time is the "s" sound, so I just work on this - in the car, in the toilet, anywhere. I always was good at talking to myself!

pucca26

#9 Post by pucca26 »

These are the best lingual braces, have similar system to damos 3 but in linguals, and are very confortable and small, I don't have them but I have been reading and my ortho told me that too, but they are made in Japan and are no easy to get.
Upper Lingual Braces - On, April 7th, 2006 - Off, August 23rd, 2007
Lower Inspire Ice Braces - On, June 9th, 2006 - Off, January 3rd, 2008

Daveyboy

#10 Post by Daveyboy »

I've just had all my X-rays done and have booked my final consultation before treatment for about 3 weeks time.

I'm still undecided about whether to have the STb's on both top and bottom, or just on top. I've got a small lower jaw that it looks likely we'll have to fix with surgery, so to a big extent there's already not a lot of room for my tongue, let alone if I put brackets in there as well!

One thing I would like to know is about eating - how difficult is it, and what kind of stuff can you eat. I'm guessing that its a bit harder as the brackets are on the inside of your teeth... so will interfere with the food more than labial brackets.

I'm thinking maybe it is good to have ceramics on the bottom, as then if someone does notice i'm talking a little weird, then maybe they'll notice the bottoms and so I wont have to explain! (Maybe that defeats the whole object of linguals though!)

This board has been a great help to me so far, and i'll try to get some pictures off the ortho so I can post them once I go ahead.

By the way... 1.5 yrs and Surgery..... i'm scared and looking forward to it at the same time!!

Dave

suedeness123

STB lingual braces

#11 Post by suedeness123 »

For the lower, I'm wondering just how "invisible" the lingual braces will be. I'm hoping it'll show less than the ceramic.

The cost difference for lingual for both top and bottom vs. lingual top and ceramic bottom for me was about $3000 (so 11,000 vs. 8,000.) But apparently vanity comes at a price...and worse, I'm willing to pay for it.

Davey, let us know how yours goes.

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

Daveyboy wrote:
One thing I would like to know is about eating - how difficult is it, and what kind of stuff can you eat. I'm guessing that its a bit harder as the brackets are on the inside of your teeth... so will interfere with the food more than labial brackets.
I've found that there is little difference to eating with linguals vs ceramics; if anything, it's easier with linguals because they don't jut out as much as the ceramics. I was a little cautious for the first few days, but now I eat almost everything I ate before braces.

Suedeness123, the lower linguals would almost certainly show less than ceramics and - I imagine - would be completely invisible. If you don't show much lower teeth, the ceramics would barely be visible as well. It's hard to know what's best; I wrangled with the idea of going fully lingual, but the cost tipped me in favour of ceramics on my lower teeth. No-one has spotted them yet.

LondonLingual

Stb Brackets

#13 Post by LondonLingual »

For more info on these brackets see...

http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf

I think I am getting these too! I'll let you know...

By the way Daveyboy... The Ortho you provided a link to seems to be the guru on Linguals in Britain but I emailed them for a quote and their gestimate was sky-high... I found loads of other Ortho's that do Linguals in London though.

London lad... Linguals (http://www.ormco.com/products/promotions/PDF/stb.pdf) on top and ceramics (http://www.gacmystique.com/) on bottom! UPDATE: now have ceramics on top too after gave up on linguals 18 months in!!!

jennielee81

Re: STB lingual braces

#14 Post by jennielee81 »

For the lower, I'm wondering just how "invisible" the lingual braces will be. I'm hoping it'll show less than the ceramic.
If I may jump in here...

If you have access to renting Scrubs on DVD (I use Netflix), the second season (Disc 1) Donald Faison "Dr. Turk" has linguals. He comments about his "Cindy Brady" lisp in the first episode if you watch it with commentary. You can hear a little lisp only if you're listening for it but (here's the good part) you cannot see the brackets AT ALL. Even with closeups of his mouth open wide.

Hope this gives you some comfort! :D
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

lionfish

#15 Post by lionfish »

Thanks for the Ormco link, LondonLingual.

Those brackets look pretty much like what I've got; they are very small and have a very low profile. I adapted to them within a fortnight.