Unknown Appliance?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aims

Unknown Appliance?

#1 Post by aims »

I'm confused...in about 2 weeks my orthodontist said that my "appliance" would be coming in. All they mentioned was that it would be worn in the roof/top of my mouth. What could this be and what's it for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi aims,

My guess is that the appliance is an expander to widen the arch.

Didn't your orthodontist mention what your orthodontic treatment would involve (expander, braces, retainer, etc.)? You should always ask your orthodontist questions when you have them - this will keep you abreast of what to expect and create less stress for you. I know this is what works for me and is making my orthodontic treatment less stressful.

You should call your ortho's office to confirm what the appliance is for.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

sportsgrl97

#3 Post by sportsgrl97 »

im guessing expander.... thats what i had that was on the roof of my mouth..

aims

#4 Post by aims »

I read a lot about speech problems..and I love to sing. Am I not going to be able to sing really well?
January 16th, 2006- Tops And Bottoms

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm having a nance put in next Friday!

Idislikebraces

#6 Post by Idislikebraces »

Lisa65 wrote:I'm having a nance put in next Friday!
They're not bad! I have one! I got used to it after a few hours...maybe because i talk wayyyy too much..haha but if ur mouth gets super dry in the morning it will feel really funky cause it;ll be like..stuck to the roof of ur mouth..yes i kno its supposed to but it gets stuck in an unusual way..haha
:D
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!