Scared to death....tomorrow I get my braces on!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jbjalways

Scared to death....tomorrow I get my braces on!

#1 Post by jbjalways »

Yikes, I'm super scared. I finally decided on the Damon braces metal on the bottom and the Damon 3's on top.

I am getting them on tomorrow and spacers in because unfortunately they are going to to put bands on my molars. I guess they usually don't use bands on your molars with Damons, but I have a lot of crowns & dental work on them.

They said since I have a lot of overcrowding the spacers will hurt even more. I'm a baby when it comes to pain, what do you suggest I take for it?

What should I have ready in the house to eat?

Thanks! Wish me luck.

jbjalways

Thanks

#2 Post by jbjalways »

Thanks for all the good wishes.

My understanding is that the ortho will be using the molar bands because I have crowns on all of my molars and they want the whole tooth/roots to move. I hope she is right. I also didn't know I would need a Herbst appliance, is that painful too? I wonder if I can talk them out of it.

I will post tomorrow after the whole thing and let you know how it goes. Hope I made the right decision. I'm such a worry wart. lol

Wish I could figure out how to take pictures so I could share the before pics, progress and final. They never come out clear, just blurry.

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

Good Luck tomorrow. Everything will go fine ,trust me. I suggest you take two tylenols about 40 min before they start. You will not really feel any pain during the bracing part. However you might feel your teeth tight and the tylenol should kick in by then.The next morning you are gonna feel strange because you got these brackets on and all... That feeling will go away and very soon you will forget you have them on. I've only had braces for 3 weeks and I forget I have them on every morning lol.
Start warmwater salt rinses at least 3 times a day ,up to 5 times a day if you get any sores. So far I have not gotten any sores and it's been 3 weeks. I might get them when I get the molar bands also but trust me and everyone else here. Warm water salt rinses are the BEST thing for your sore/s and for your gums. My hygienest highly recommends saltwater rinses over any other rinses!

Please let us know how it goes !

Gennel

ebruce25

#4 Post by ebruce25 »

YAY!! another Damon patient. I got my Damon MX (all metal) and Damon 3s put in two months ago. I was lucky I didn't need spacers.. though I was told I may need elastics in the future. Anyways the bonding procedure is simple. My orthodontist was swamped with patients so mine took a bit longer than usual - couple hrs. That was the xrays, molds and bonding all together. For me they placed some thingy to keep my mouth open, then the assistant airdries each tooth and prepare them for bonding. Bonding the bracket onto each took only takes a few seconds, they later lock the memory shape wire and replace it every 8-10 weeks (though that time may differ from patient to patient). I had my second wire put in 3 days ago and I'm already noticing a big difference. At first you'll see yourself in the mirror and think to yourself.. "omg what did I just do?" lol - I know I did. But you'll get used to it and you'll be happy you did. You'll have beautiful teeth. What sets the Damons apart from any other brace system is that you'll have a full beautiful smile. usually no extractions, faster treatment time and few adjustments. Gosh.. I feel like a billboard.

JoeMama

#5 Post by JoeMama »

Hi jbjalways - good luck tomorrow. Getting the braces put on doesn't hurt. The suggestions of OTC pain killers and salt water rinses are good ones. For some us, our teeth hurt more the next day and that lasts for a week or so. Nothing some pain killers and soft food won't help.

Getting used to the braces takes a little while, but just be patient with yourself. It WILL happen and when you see your teeth start to move, it's all worth it. My advice is to treat yourself nicely for the next few days and try to avoid stressful situations. Best wishes! :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

jbjalways

thanks

#6 Post by jbjalways »

Unfortunately I get braced and spacers tomorrow morning, but have to work Saturday. I should be real grumpy and fun to work with. :)

ebruce25

#7 Post by ebruce25 »

I won't say anything further. You want elastics. Go for it.