The Archwire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PnkPrincess024

The Archwire

#1 Post by PnkPrincess024 »

the lower archwire is poking the right side of my mouth...its kinda long but not too long.

so do you think this is because my teeth have come together more to close the gaps and i dont need as long of a wire then when he put it on ealier last month???

KriegeR

#2 Post by KriegeR »

Wax is usually the best resort. Believe it or not your mouth will progressively get tougher and be able to withstand these 'annoyances'! :D

Just don't go OTT with the wax! :)

ssfw

#3 Post by ssfw »

Hi PnkPrincess024,

This happened to me with my upper archwire after the first week of getting my braces. My orthodontists' office said it would be best for me to come in to get the wire clipped and to avoid the wire from poking my cheek - at that time it wasn't poking me, I just happen to feel it with my tongue. They also wanted to be sure it was not due to the archwire coming off of the brackets. Luckily my orthodontist's office is less than 10 minutes from me. His assistant was able to help me and after she clipped the wire, she placed a stopper in the archwire to try to prevent it from happening again. It's been fine since then. This is one of the reasons why I feel so fortuante that my ortho's office is so close - makes it so convenient when unexpected things happen.

Good luck.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ebruce25

#4 Post by ebruce25 »

My orthodontist and the assistants have told me if it becomes too bothersome that I can just clip it (somehow). I would never try it myself, I would just call in and have them do it. should only take 30 seconds. I've had my Damon 3s in for two months now and the molars were fine, the rear molars were never wired initially, it wasnt until yesterday - two months later they finally wired them - I'm developing chancre sores though. Back to the ole wax I guess.

ucldbmine

#5 Post by ucldbmine »

I have only had my braces a few weeks but my ortho did tell me that if a poking archwire becomes bothersome I can clip it with a pair of nail clippers. It hasn't been an issue for me yet so I don't know how difficult that will be. Seems getting a pair of nail clippers to my molars will be more effort than it's worth I have a hard enough time flossing them lol.

He also said if on vacation or somewhere I can not get in to just clip at the next bracket up you won't hurt anything by not having the archwire go all the way through for a few days till you can get in.