how long before mouth toughens up

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

how long before mouth toughens up

#1 Post by Lisa65 »

I had my bottom molar bands put on last Monday and the buccal tubes are ripping my mouth to bits, they are so sharp, I just wondered how long does it take before the skin inside your mouth gets tougher?

I am using Peroxyl mouthwash with peroxide to hopefully stop any ulcers forming, my ortho didn't give me any wax to use and I couldn't find any in chemists today although I can go to his surgery and get some tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice.
Lisa
Last edited by Lisa65 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

Omigosh, I can't believe your ortho didn't give you any wax!! I couldn't have lived without mine for the first few weeks. The wax actually helped me to toughen my mouth as I would use it when the pain got too bad and it helped the brackets to not exacerbate the situation.

Can you call your ortho and tell them that you need wax? Or do they just not provide it at all?

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

He maybe just forgot nvcarissa, I can pop in there tomorrow after work and get some. Maybe he thought just the buccal tubes on their wouldn't irritate as I don't have the brackets and archwire yet.

sjsarre

#4 Post by sjsarre »

I would definately stock up on wax... Your based in the UK aren't you??

If your dentist doesn't give you enough you can buy packets off the internet from a company in the UK.

My mouth has only really just toughened up now. I'm three months into treatment.. Problem is, every now and again a certain area will cause problems and you really do need wax with you just in case!!

:D

Jeneva

#5 Post by Jeneva »

i've had mine on for a week and i have to say, after a few days of having my mouth shredded, my mouth seems to have toughened to a point where i can function. I think if i were to get hit in the mouth i'd get cut, but then again, wouldn't we all...
i attribute this to using the comfort covers sold on denta-kit.com (highly, highly recommended!!!) and rinsing with full strength listerine a few times a day...
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

CLAmom

#6 Post by CLAmom »

It took me a good 3 weeks to toughen up. I didn't think I would ever get used to the rough metal on the molar bands cutting up my tongue but eventually I did. I'm a firm believer in wax--it was my constant companion the first few weeks. I only use it occassionaly now. Knock wood. :thumbsup:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lisa,

I'd say mine toughened up on about week 3 after having the molar bands fitted. At some stage, brace day I think, they gave me a dental pack which includes, wax, mouthwash, toothbrush etc. I strongly recommend the saltwater mouthwashes though several times a day as I'm sure this helped more than anything. I also regularly rinse with mouthwash too. Believe me, it gets tons better very, very quickly.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henna_the_braceface

#8 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I was pretty lucky. When I got my 4 molar bands on I had NO discomfort at all and I didn't even touch my supply of wax. But I guess no one is the same on this forum!

KriegeR

#9 Post by KriegeR »

You will find that the toughness comes and goes, as some people have pointed out on here already. When I first had my brace fitted, it did cause quite a few sores in my mouth, with the help of wax, mouthwash, and Rinstead gel, these eventually disappeared and my mouth toughened up. However you will find that occasionally you will have 'relapses' from time to time where a previously tough bit of your mouth gets a little sore again.

Ask your orthodontist for some wax. They should give you some no problem. I remember about 6 months ago having my second set of bands fitted on my very back molars, and I forgot to take my wax with me to apply after the fitting was done. I asked the nurse if I could pinch a box and she gave me 4! :shock:

Needless to say I would send you one, but I've nearly used it all up! :P

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

Thanks everyone for your input. :thumbsup: I'll go tomorrow and ask my ortho for some, and I've also ordered some more off the net just in case I need lots over the next 18 months or so.

You lot are all really helpful :D

ucldbmine

#11 Post by ucldbmine »

My ortho gave me 12 things of wax upon leaving from getting my brackets on. I don't know what stores are over in the UK but in deperation if you cant' get it from your ortho soon most drug stores have it. Walmart has 2 kids sylicone and standard wax. I like the sylicone feel on my gums better but seems to be harder to apply initally than standard wax.

pk_girl

#12 Post by pk_girl »

I used wax for about 2 days, it was too annoying. I let my mouth toughen up from the off.